It's funny how (fuel shortages)

Soldato
I'm genuinely interested if the fuel panic buying is a regional thing.

I filled the car up today, as I do every payday. No queues, no suggestion of shortages. Also, the vehicle I drive at work averages about 20mpg, so it requires refuelling twice a day. Been to multiple fuel stations over the last week. No queues, no lack of diesel.

I mean the population difference is huge between Scotland and England for a start, so some areas are going to notice it others not.

Soldato
Dad drove past Sainsbury’s at 6:30am and saw about 20 cars queuing up. The PS didn’t open til 8am!

You sure the Sainsbury's petrol station normally opens a lot earlier than the supermarket.

My local sainsburys petrol station opened at 6am, I got around there at 6.15am, not much of a queue and was well organised by sainsburys staff. I wouldn't normally go that early but been forced to by all the panic buying, been trying to get fuel all week on my way home from work, was down to about 30 miles.

Soldato
Seems like it. It has been pretty bad for me (Outskirts of london) but my mate who is on the border of wales ( North side)
Also this gem :cry:

I wonder how many tanker drivers switched to being HGV after being offered more attractive rates due to the shortages?

Not sure everything is correct but also I suspect 1/2 the problem is due to a sharp increase in short term demand. That fast change blip the fuel companies can't cope with so end up screwing all the system.

Associate
I am starting to get miffed with this. My DPD delivery keeps getting pushed back.
A couple of days ago I read an article saying the government was pressuring distributors to prioritise consumer supply and divert tanker deliveries to petrol stations. It went on to say this could have knock-on effects to logistics companies and those running vehicle fleets who bunker their own fuel.

Maybe DPD are running low on fuel too.

Transmission breaker
Don
Around Amazingstoke, it's dry.. I went into a closed tesco (navigated through some cones, i think it was some sort of test), and filled up the Mrs car using pay at pump, as I would not have got home on the fumes it had. Had to use two pumps, one spat out £1.25, and the other one managed to fill it up.

Went to all the stations around basingstoke at 11pm/onwards and it was totally impossible to get fuel really.

V F

V F

Soldato
I honestly cannot remember but what was it that caused the frenzy? I mean who actually triggered the whole scenario?

Soldato
I honestly cannot remember but what was it that caused the frenzy? I mean who actually triggered the whole scenario?

BBC breakfast were really pushing it last week because a handful of BP stations had trouble getting fuel, suddenly a few hours later it was carnage. 100% media driven.

Caporegime
I wonder how many tanker drivers switched to being HGV after being offered more attractive rates due to the shortages?
Very few if any, petrol tanker work has always been at the very much higher end of HGV driving pay scale wise along with generally far fewer hours.

You’d really have to be a bit daft to swap one for the other.

Soldato
Dad rang me to say the Shell 0.75 miles from our homes had fuel. £40 limit. He saw a friend there and chatted and an extra £3 slipped in. The guy at the shop wasn't too bothered. I filled up with £32. Cars in the forecourt only. Pulled up to a pump. There was a motorbike waiting and the owner of car in front of that was in shop paying (no pay at pump). The fuel there was about 5p more per litre than our usual Sainsburys. The most important thing is we have fuel and the fact we couldn't go out to many places, therefore used less fuel during lockdown even things out.

Associate
Have we hung all the Brexit Party members from the battlements of the Tower of London yet? Hmm that won't stop Patel, I believe there is are arcane methods available to contain those without a pulse - perhaps an oubliette? Then we can leave them all in there as Cannibal Reality TV and feed the Brexit voters in each week. Should make a national state Deadpool Lotto for how long they survive..
Looks like most of the loony panic buyers are in remain voting areas.

Associate
Do you think there was any logic to that or do you think they just did it to twist the knife?

Pretty sure it was to slow the rate at which they run out but have to wonder why.. once people are queuing they will get it whether in 10 mins or 1 hour. I think they realised that and opened other pumps.

Soldato
Very few if any, petrol tanker work has always been at the very much higher end of HGV driving pay scale wise along with generally far fewer hours.

You’d really have to be a bit daft to swap one for the other.

I figured as much. I suspect they're governed by risk management to limit the hours and keep fatigue low to prevent accidents.

Back
Top Bottom