• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Far Cry 6 GPU performance not bad at all but is severely bottlenecked by CPU

Caporegime
Still think we should wait and see what happens from ubisoft after they patch it somewhat before saying it is 100% down to lack of vram and nothing else.

Remember what happened with the supposed horizon zero dawn texture/vram issue i.e. game had 2 patches to address the issue ;)

Has anyone who is encountering texture or substantial fps drop issues done any testing with resize bar on Vs off?

Caporegime
Can someone upload comparisons of the texture pack on and off? Preferably 4k. Only one youtube video of it but quality isn't the best and not uploaded in 4k so more loss in IQ and compression etc.

Soldato
OP
Can someone upload comparisons of the texture pack on and off? Preferably 4k. Only one youtube video of it but quality isn't the best and not uploaded in 4k so more loss in IQ and compression etc.

Thats quite a big upgrade in texture quality. Well worth the higher VRAM requirements

Caporegime
Thats quite a big upgrade in texture quality. Well worth the higher VRAM requirements

Based purely on that video, watching on my 4k oled, I defo wouldn't say it was worth the "16gb requirement"....

But as said, that is more than likely because the video is 1080p only and not the best rendering from looks of it.

Soldato
OP
Based purely on that video, watching on my 4k oled, I defo wouldn't say it was worth the "16gb requirement"....

But as said, that is more than likely because the video is 1080p only and not the best rendering from looks of it.

Couple screenshots early on in the game

Soldato
The game is running very stable for me with no crashes on my 5900X, RTX 3080 and Asus TUF X570 Plus. What I do see are some game bugs that are quite annoying.

If I use the HD texture pack I have to enable FSR, or the performance tanks to single digits in some cases. But this is not a problem with FSR enabled and performance at 4K is always inside my Freesync range. The problem is that every time I start the game FSR is disabled again.

Sometimes the game loads with low res textures if HD textures are enabled. Even if FSR is on this happens.
High textures have no such issues.

Soldato
Still think we should wait and see what happens from ubisoft after they patch it somewhat before saying it is 100% down to lack of vram and nothing else.

Remember what happened with the supposed horizon zero dawn texture/vram issue i.e. game had 2 patches to address the issue ;)

Has anyone who is encountering texture or substantial fps drop issues done any testing with resize bar on Vs off?

100% Nv will fix it, 3080 will end up running the HD texture upgrade within 10Gb but with reduced textures.

My 3070 on W11 isn't playing nice@4K no matter the settings med/high/ultra/FSR/no texture pack, it runs fine, then when you exit inventory, ram/vram I presume spikes, to slowing everything down to slideshow.

Unless it's my end, I do not know how that got past testing, I'll be trying it back on W10.

Caporegime
At least Tpu never downlplayed cards going in the bin because they suddenly don't work due to vram limitations .:p

At least TPU held their hands up (and didn't start all sorts of deflecting) but simply stated they got it wrong while pointing out that although Nv are superior all things RT, 10gb is not enough for the horsepower of the 80.

The best bit is Nv knew it wasn't going to be enough through the lifetime of the gpu, they pulled a blinder yet again.

I dare say Nv will 'fix' the game driver side and limit it to 10gb to make it enough.:p
Yes, got to give them that. If only more people were like that hey. :)

The game is running very stable for me with no crashes on my 5900X, RTX 3080 and Asus TUF X570 Plus. What I do see are some game bugs that are quite annoying.

If I use the HD texture pack I have to enable FSR, or the performance tanks to single digits in some cases. But this is not a problem with FSR enabled and performance at 4K is always inside my Freesync range. The problem is that every time I start the game FSR is disabled again.

Sometimes the game loads with low res textures if HD textures are enabled. Even if FSR is on this happens.
High textures have no such issues.
Yes FSR reduces the video memory usage, so that's why with FSR enabled you no longer get single digit FPS and can then use the HD Texture pack.

The issue you mentioned with FSR setting not sticking also applies to other settings in the game as well.

For example the aim toggle or hold button never sticks and I have to reset it each time I start the game up.

Seems like it's just a game bug (certain settings not sticking after a restart) and will get fixed in a patch.

Caporegime
Couple screenshots early on in the game

Jesus, I have seen ps 3 games with better textures than that!

Far cry 5 and new dawn base games have FAR better textures than no HD textures in FC 6.

Clearly an issue with the game (given you have a 3090 so gpu being the issue is ruled out) or the game has been intentionally designed to look bad without the HD texture pack, same way with nvidias sponsored games where SSR reflections etc. looks considerably worse than RT reflections and other games with good SSR reflections etc.

100% Nv will fix it, 3080 will end up running the HD texture upgrade within 10Gb but with reduced textures.

My 3070 on W11 isn't playing nice@4K no matter the settings med/high/ultra/FSR/no texture pack, it runs fine, then when you exit inventory, ram/vram I presume spikes, to slowing everything down to slideshow.

Unless it's my end, I do not know how that got past testing, I'll be trying it back on W10.

To me that just indicates the game has core issues if you're having issues like that regardless of settings. Tried taking a screenshot to see if that fixes it? :p

Soldato
To me that just indicates the game has core issues if you're having issues like that regardless of settings. Tried taking a screenshot to see if that fixes it? :p

Personally wouldn't just blame the game and nothing else, but just remember 3080 is still a cracker of a gpu because it'll still hit high fps, just have to keep it within vram because Nv were too tight with it.:p

Soldato

If you have a 3080 or a card with less than 10GB.

Watch from 16mins and 30 secs, seems the 3080 is not loading all the textures in due to the vram limit. So maybe 10GB is not enough on this game. OR the game needs checking why it's not using the full 10GB of VRAM, maybe a bug or an AMD special feature ? Well time for popcorn on this one.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Personally wouldn't just blame the game and nothing else, but just remember 3080 is still a cracker of a gpu because it'll still hit high fps, just have to keep it within vram because Nv were too tight with it.:p

I was referring more to the issues you mentioned with your 3070 :p A 3070 should not be having issues even when using as low settings as you described and with FSR etc. Having looked at youtube though, a 3070 seems to perform ok even when using higher settings so there must be something contributing to the issues you're having, cpu, ram etc.??? Maybe it might even be w11.... Still, I stand by the point that there are plenty of games out there that look just as good or better and run far far far better and people can't blame RT for the questionable performance this time round given it is severely limited.

Back
Top Bottom