• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Far Cry 6 GPU performance not bad at all but is severely bottlenecked by CPU

Soldato
OP
Im finding both my 9900k and 3090 aren’t being fully utilised. Cpu at around 50% and gpu around 70%.

1440p ultrawide

There’s so much more to give!

Newest battlefield game has the same problem

2 AAA games in a week with cpu bottlenecks :(

in bf2042 at 1440p all settings maxed my 3090 sits between 60% and 75% usage and 5950x at pretty much locked 25%

Last edited:
Caporegime
Haha that's Steve from HU so no wonder he had no problem with the 3080. Meanwhile on the Techoowerup review they notice the 3080 can't run everything at 4K.
"What's really interesting is VRAM usage. I measured well over 10 GB with the 4K, HD Texture pack, and ray tracing combo, which does stutter sometimes on the 10 GB GeForce RTX 3080, but runs perfectly fine with cards offering 12 GB VRAM or higher. I guess I was wrong when I said that the RTX 3080's 10 GB will suffice for the foreseeable future."
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/far-cry-6-benchmark-test-performance/7.html
Heh good catch. Looks like someone missed that part when they claimed that oh but techpowerup said its okay. :D
But its also smart, wmajority of these settings are click bait and do not provide any meaningful image quality improvements, but them textures surely seem to do a huge work .)
Yes the HD Textures are very good.

For anyone wondering if they make a difference, have a look at the in-depth testing done in the links i posted earlier. There are side by side comparisons etc, and the feedback is yes they are good.

Associate
Pretty much a case of pick your poison, personally I am a massive fan of ray tracing as when implemented properly and not held back, it is truly jaw dropping, that and pretty much every game will have ray tracing going forward from the looks of it plus nvidia sponsor more and better titles imo.

Agreed on this. Games with the full implementation look great, but these toned down versions are an absolute waste of development time - it's usually just for marketing.

Associate

in bf2042 at 1440p all settings maxed my 3090 sits between 60% and 75% usage and 5950x at pretty much locked 25%

BF2042 is barely beta IMO. The unfinished state of AAA games gets worse every year.

Soldato
OP
okay then, honest to god question, how can ps5 /xbox sx handle the ultra textures then? or is it a lie? or it cant handle it either? will this be explained or observed?

correct me if im wrong but the general consensus was that total 16 gb vram on consoles did not mean that it can allocate all of them for vram and it also has to spare some memory for normal memory operations (lol i dont even know what i just said xd)

as far as i know, sx has 10 gb 560 gb/s partition and 6 gb 336 gb/s slower partition. im pretty sure devs wouldnt like vram operations to touch into slower part but you're free to guess.

so why is this happening on 3080 but not on console? if it hpapens i hope those reviewers can also flesh it out.

though console probably have lower settings and resolution.. and may lower vram usage itself...q and no ray tracing. so maybe that can explain. ok, ignore my questions carry on , then again, wish it didnt happen this way

Who said the consoles have the HD texture pack?

Caporegime
Haha that's Steve from HU so no wonder he had no problem with the 3080. Meanwhile on the Techoowerup review they notice the 3080 can't run everything at 4K.
"What's really interesting is VRAM usage. I measured well over 10 GB with the 4K, HD Texture pack, and ray tracing combo, which does stutter sometimes on the 10 GB GeForce RTX 3080, but runs perfectly fine with cards offering 12 GB VRAM or higher. I guess I was wrong when I said that the RTX 3080's 10 GB will suffice for the foreseeable future."
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/far-cry-6-benchmark-test-performance/7.html

Yup but I suppose at the end of the day, are people really not going to use FSR ultra quality? Especially the people who have ranted and raved about how great fsr is, guarantee they will be using it regardless of vram ;) :p Plus FSR looks better than native in this, probably because of the sharpening though, which could also be achieved via other methods such as redux/sweetfx and probably not enhance the TAA artefacts like FSR does either.

I did note that further back about techpowerups comments too which is exactly how lack of vram behaves, not dropping to 5fps and staying at 5 fps until a screenshot is taken.... Would like to see some footage though as from the way they have worded it, it doesn't sound like it's awful stutter, at least I wouldn't classify "which does stutter sometimes" as being severe....

- There is nothing wrong with the game itself, if you like FC games in general, you'll like this since it's the same but a different skin
- Graphics are good on the whole but the problem is, does it really look much better compared to new dawn and how long ago did that come out? But then again, it's not a surprise since the game was also made for last gen consoles
- AMD might not be holding back "gaming" but they are most definitely holding back "next gen graphical features" such as ray tracing, if you can't understand this/see why, then oh dear.... thankfully every technical site understands this
- ubisoft have acknowledge the problems with the game and are looking into it and we have plenty of cases/footage where we can see multiple cards having issues with textures as well as cases where the FPS completely drops regardless of vram (again see jokers video with a 3080ti) so until more in depth analysis comes, no one can say it is purely just because they game needs more vram, it might very well play better/smoother possibly (as techpowerup did say it felt smoother on cards with 11GB vram when not using FSR and max settings @ 4k) but there is no good reason FPS should be dropping to 5 fps on GPUs (again, even ones with more than 10GB vram)

I wonder if one potential issue could be with nvidias re-size bar setting, perhaps they have it enabled for this game but it might actually work better with it turned off here.

Soldato
OP

Ah ok, but it can't be the actual same files because the download size of the texture pack of PC is significantly larger than that ps5 file even though the base game size is the exact same between pc and ps5 - so that means it's highly likely that the texture pack for ps5 uses lower resolution textures than the pc texture pack. So there is your answer, it's not apples to apples

Associate
Yup but I suppose at the end of the day, are people really not going to use FSR ultra quality? Especially the people who have ranted and raved about how great fsr is, guarantee they will be using it regardless of vram ;) :p Plus FSR looks better than native in this, probably because of the sharpening though, which could also be achieved via other methods such as redux/sweetfx and probably not enhance the TAA artefacts like FSR does either.

I did note that further back about techpowerups comments too which is exactly how lack of vram behaves, not dropping to 5fps and staying at 5 fps until a screenshot is taken.... Would like to see some footage though as from the way they have worded it, it doesn't sound like it's awful stutter, at least I wouldn't classify "which does stutter sometimes" as being severe....
IDK why is such a big deal if it goes above 10Gb, no one plays with everything on Ultra at native settings anyway, not even the 3090 owners.

Permabanned
by the way, i've checked nvidia inspector values and found out that this game in fact supports Rebar for NV GPUs :) i dont know if the latest driver is "game ready" for fc6 or not (472.12)

0x00000001 (Battlefield V, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Metro: Exodus, Hitman 2, Hitman 3, F1 2020 - DX12, Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition, Godfall, Watch Dogs: Legion, Borderlands 3, Control, Forza Horizon 4, Deathloop, Gears of War 5, Red Dead Redemption 2, Cyberpunk 2077, Death Stranding, Far Cry 6, DiRT 5, Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition)

(list of rebar enabled games in nvidia profile inspector)

i wonder if vram consumption is reduced when rebar is disabled. someone might give it a try. rebar seems to increase vram consumption a bit

retro edit:

Game Ready for Windows 11
This new Game Ready Driver provides support for the official launch of Windows 11, including a variety of new features and functionality to enhance your gaming and productivity. In addition, this new Game Ready Driver offers support for the latest new titles and updates, including Alan Wake Remastered which utilizes NVIDIA DLSS to boost framerates by up to 2x at 4K resolution. Additionally, this release always provides optimal support for the latest update to Deathloop which introduces NVIDIA Reflex technology, as well as the launch of Diablo II: Resurrected, Far Cry 6, Hot Wheels Unleashed, Industria, New World, and World War Z: Aftermath.

okay this settles it then :)

Last edited:
Associate
i wonder if vram consumption is reduced when rebar is disabled. someone might give it a try. rebar seems to increase vram consumption a bit

It's possible; I'd assume that it creates a buffer and if it's not sufficiently optimised then you end up with allocated but unused memory.

Caporegime
I suspect there is some work to do on nvidias side with rebar for this as it's not the first time it has caused issues in games for nvidia and could explain the severe fps drop that some encounter, almost like it can't manage/unallocate/allocate the vram properly.

Agreed on this. Games with the full implementation look great, but these toned down versions are an absolute waste of development time - it's usually just for marketing.

Yup as explained in HU video, sadly just an amd marketing piece "oh we can do ray tracing too", tbf, can't blame them as not supporting it at all would look even worse for them but still at the very least, developers shouldn't hold back on giving people the choice to dial up settings if they can/want to, after all, wasn't/isn't that the beauty of PC i.e. choice.

IDK why is such a big deal if it goes above 10Gb, no one plays with everything on Ultra at native settings anyway, not even the 3090 owners.

Exactly.

Imagine a fair amount of 3090/6900xt owners will be turning down a good amount of settings to be getting 100+ fps.

Associate
Disabling R-bar reduces VRAM usage with 200Mb or so. Probably enough so that the 3080 will go below the 10Gb in Farcry6 if someone isn't playing long enough.

Associate
ReBar doesn't work as well. SAM can provide up to twice the performance uplift.
Do you have any articles or reviews to back that up?

Do you mean SAM can provide twice as much performance uplift in the same game as ReBar can? (IE ReBar provides a 10% uplift, while SAM provides 20%?)

From everything I have read about both tech, neither seem to provide earth shattering boosts in anything....

Caporegime
Must admit that quote from TPU is hilarious, first game where 10gb vram "might" be an issue because it has "some microstutter" with "max" everything at 4k and without FSR... all of a sudden the 3080 is no longer ok for any gaming now? 3080 owners should just sell up and go console now I think :D

Wonder how people would react if they said something similar for other brands lack of RT performance and thus no longer being suitable for the foreseeable future of gaming..... ;) :p :D

Do you have any articles or reviews to back that up?

Do you mean SAM can provide twice as much performance uplift in the same game as ReBar can? (IE ReBar provides a 10% uplift, while SAM provides 20%?)

From everything I have read about both tech, neither seem to provide earth shattering boosts in anything....

Depends on the game, generally SAM shows more of a benefit on amd sponsored games i.e. valhalla being the main one but on the whole amd do seem to get a bit more of a performance gain than nvidia do with rebar (that and some games just don't play as well with rebar enabled hence why nvidia only enable it for certain games and not globally like amd do) but as you can see in most games (more so outside of amd sponsored ones), it's doesn't provide that much an improvement, at least not to the point of amd matching/exceeding nvidia on the whole.

Soldato

I don't understand why that's a problem, it means your cpu well exceeds the minimum required spec. If your CPU was locked at 100% then it would be like your cpu is running a benchmark, and you'd more likely end up with stutters lock ups and lag. The CPU is there to deal with general game code, inputs, physics and networking audio, and whatever else. Packing all that so it somehow uses 100 percent of the CPU at all times is nigh on impossible. It's not something I'd personally want and in my opinion if a game is using 100% of your cpu the majority of the time then its doing something wrong somewhere(or your cpu isn't very good).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom