How did you find overclockers? website I mean

Soldato
I needed to get some PC bits and bobs waaaaay back, and someone in the sorting (post) office told me to try OC.

I think I got on the forum several years later when I was trying to get free postage.

Starting posting in earnest a year or so back, in the hope of finding information on a 3xxx graphics card, and possibly a heads up when they were in stock.

OC has replaced the previous forum of which I was a long-term member. That one went really toxic. I had a look at it the other day and noticed lots of other long-termers have stopped posting there, too.

Man of Honour
I lived 400 yards from the original OCUK which was called Millennium and I was in there at least 3 times a week.
This is where my mind is hazy but I remember seeing a new bloke in the shop and Pete (original owner) said he's called Mark and he's working on a website.

V F

V F

Soldato
Anyone looked up their first post to see? Apparently I cannot find mine as the first post shows January 6, 2004. I was trying to find what my first post was.

I do remember finding them under google I think... Or maybe it was through people I knew of online then from the Quake 3/Wolf:ET days in relation to Barrysworld/IRC.

I had issues with an Asus A7N8X-X and TwinMOS memory, then bought an Abit NF7-S nForce 2 Ultra from them. As I used to have a local PC shop build my PC back in 2000 - 2003. It was a very small shop as you were limited what you could get and had to mainly rely on what they got for you. One time they couldn't complete a build as it was parts I specifically requested from them in 2003, then went down and took the PC from them incomplete. That was when I started looking up PC shops in June - August 2003, found OcUK and never looked back when I started building them myself.

Commissario
I lived 400 yards from the original OCUK which was called Millennium and I was in there at least 3 times a week.
This is where my mind is hazy but I remember seeing a new bloke in the shop and Pete (original owner) said he's called Mark and he's working on a website.
Mark wrote all about this in a thread that's in the archive forum, it's still there if you want to refresh your memory.

Soldato
Not if they are good or not, but how did you find out about overclockers online? Were you looking for hardware and found them? Hear about them from other forums?

I found them back in 2008 I think. Was looking for info on the AMD 4870 gpu. Been here ever since

IIRC I used the site in 2001 to buy an AMD Althon processor, and/or a 3DFX Voodoo 3 2000 PCI, and over the course of my PC gaming years (up to cira 2006) I dipped in and out of OCUK and a competitor (with a name similar to an old Vauxhall hot hatch) for bits and bobs as I built various gaming machines.

I had always lurked on the forums and only signed up in 2006 I think, mainly due to the Console forum, and now Bikers Cafe.

V F

V F

Soldato
IIRC I used the site in 2001 to buy an AMD Althon processor, and/or a 3DFX Voodoo 3 2000 PCI, and over the course of my PC gaming years (up to cira 2006) I dipped in and out of OCUK and a competitor (with a name similar to an old Vauxhall hot hatch) for bits and bobs as I built various gaming machines.

I had always lurked on the forums and only signed up in 2006 I think, mainly due to the Console forum, and now Bikers Cafe.

That would have been a Thunderbird, right? :D

I had the 1.333 and 1.4.

Soldato
That would have been a Thunderbird, right?

Honestly, two decades of other stuff has pretty much wiped the memory away - though I'm reasonably sure it was a processor that you could 'unlock' by using a graphite pencil to draw between two erm chips :D Or maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, and it was my first AMD64 processor...

I just recall browsing/ording form the site in my first job from college - so 2001 :eek:

V F

V F

Soldato
They did put egg and coins on it in tin foil. But yes people were also bridging some of the areas on the chip with a pencil. Cannot remember if it was the Duron's or Thunderbirds. It was quite a big thing on the forum. Maybe even Athlon XP-M.

Soldato
Anyone looked up their first post to see? Apparently I cannot find mine as the first post shows January 6, 2004. I was trying to find what my first post was.

Only a n00b would even try that. Anyone who’s been around a while lost all their early posts to either one of the nukes or the forum pruning that used to happen to conserve resources.

Soldato
back in <2001 I was suggested by the AMD forum, back then it was a great forum where intelligent not biased people chatted, ( i know right?) now days its a sesspool

V F

V F

Soldato
56k from home or my friends duel bonded ISDN lines in his shop. The speed!

Great pings on ISDN for gaming. You'd get called a cheat or LPB. :cry: It was expensive though. I think I saw people sub 30 on ISDN or even in the 20s.

Associate
Bought from the physical shop in Fenton as they were about 5mins from my door and at one point I needed help with something and whoever it was behind the counter way back then mentioned that they also had a forum who might be able to help.

Let me guess - you wanted to know the correct method for pooping through a letterbox?

I was looking at custom-built PCs online and during my research decided it would be more interesting to build my own, and came across OcUK whilst searching for components.

Back
Top Bottom