Standard of driving in the UK going downhill.

Soldato
Im going to admit to being a child killing maniac today.

Sat on M42, come up to a group of 15 or so cars.

Lane 1 - Empty. Literally empty.
Lane 2 - 5 cars in convy doing 55-60mph sat on each others bumpers.
Lane 3 - 10 cars waiting to pass the 5 cars in convoy but the person at the front of the overtake queue doing 61mph.

Downshifted into second to make my presence very heard, moved into lane 1 and undertook them all at 70mph. Pulled out infront of them the other side blasting the horn. Not a single person moved into lane 1.

Shook my head in a mix of disbelief and anger and drove off.
While this is annoying no one in lane 3 is doing anything wrong and of the four following cars in lane 2 I bet at least one of those was looking to overtake but then found themselves stuck there by the queue that subsequently formed in lane 3.

In fact, you could argue that the only two people who did anything wrong was the guy at the front of the queue in lane 2 and you for undertaking them. I'm not preaching by the way, I have on occasion just cruised past cars pointlessly in lane 2 although I try and stop myself from doing so now as if they then decide to move back into lane 1, which ultimately is what I'd expect them to do, it could end up in a nasty accident.

Sgarrista
Commissario
In fact, you could argue that the only two people who did anything wrong was the guy at the front of the queue in lane 2 and you for undertaking them.

You could, and you would be right, but just today ive come back down the m42, sat in lane 1 pretty much the entire distance except to pull past lorries just cruising past people in lane 2 and 3. In the distance between junction 2 and junction 1, there were no less than 15 middle lane hoggers with no reason to be sat in that lane at all.

I would actually enjoy the police budget to be *massively* expanded to have more police on the motorways enforcing correct lane discipline.

Soldato
Worse, as people dont realize the incline and slow down even more.

Aint that the truth, where I live there are steep hills to get out of town in every direction and the amount of people that dont know how to use a gearbox and drive up the hills progressively getting slower and slower to a literal crawl sometimes to the point of nearly stalling, then realise they need to change down

Soldato
Anybody else find women less likely to acknowledge you or says thanks if you let them out.

I don't know whether it's a lack of understanding on their part about good road etiquette and being courteous or they just generally don't care and expect to be let out. Or they don't have the presence of mind to acknowledge it because they are too preoccupied on driving.

Soldato
You could, and you would be right, but just today ive come back down the m42, sat in lane 1 pretty much the entire distance except to pull past lorries just cruising past people in lane 2 and 3. In the distance between junction 2 and junction 1, there were no less than 15 middle lane hoggers with no reason to be sat in that lane at all.

I would actually enjoy the police budget to be *massively* expanded to have more police on the motorways enforcing correct lane discipline.
Oh absolutely, it bugs the hell out of me too and I wasn't preaching that you are the child killing monster that you clearly are with such a heinous act :p

Its absurd the amount of disruption we all have to go through while they add additional lanes to motorways to "increase capacity" when there is plenty of capacity being wasted already by people refusing to pull over into the "slow lane".

One I meant to mention in here that has been grinding my gears recently - HGV drivers who set their own highway code.

Why do some truck drivers feel it is their duty to re-write the highway code and then enforce their distorted "rules" with their 44T rig?

The other day I was sat in some roadworks on the A47 and suddenly realised that lane 2 was completely empty. I look in my mirror and despite the signs clearly stating to "Queue in both lanes" a HGV driver had taken it on himself to sit alongside a fellow trucker to stop people 'pushing in'... 1200 yards before the lane ended. This same set of road works on occasions can jam up just far enough to block the preceding junction... something that is far less likely with four miles of cars only taking up 2 miles of road (e.g. by using BOTH LANES).

Another one that got me recently and this time it was a combination of a moron in a truck and a car driver... merging on to the A14 in crawling traffic on a relatively short slip road. Car behind crosses the solid white line and about a meter of hashed markings to be given space and flashed in by a truck. I carry on to the dashed lines where you are actually meant to merge by which point Ms Hatchings-Crosser is alongside me but Mr Trucker has let his one car in. So he parks 1mm off her bumper to ensure I have to stop on the slip road while he creeps his 44T truck past at 1.5 mph. I mean surely if you are going to be a **** you'd do it to the car crossing double solid lines and the hash markings? No?

Soldato
While this is annoying no one in lane 3 is doing anything wrong and of the four following cars in lane 2 I bet at least one of those was looking to overtake but then found themselves stuck there by the queue that subsequently formed in lane 3.

In fact, you could argue that the only two people who did anything wrong was the guy at the front of the queue in lane 2 and you for undertaking them. I'm not preaching by the way, I have on occasion just cruised past cars pointlessly in lane 2 although I try and stop myself from doing so now as if they then decide to move back into lane 1, which ultimately is what I'd expect them to do, it could end up in a nasty accident.
I'm not sure he's actually undertaking, I believe he's passing on the left, the difference being an undertake would be lane 2, lane 1 then back to lane 2. I'm not sure who would be at fault if somebody hit you as they were technically breaking the law by being in lane 2.

Soldato
Anybody else find women less likely to acknowledge you or says thanks if you let them out.

I don't know whether it's a lack of understanding on their part about good road etiquette and being courteous or they just generally don't care and expect to be let out. Or they don't have the presence of mind to acknowledge it because they are too preoccupied on driving.
TBH I wouldn't know where to start with picking apart why you think women get to have special characteristics like that :D

To address the basic question, no, I haven't, I find many many drivers are the kind of rude and selfish you describe.

Soldato
I'm not sure he's actually undertaking, I believe he's passing on the left, the difference being an undertake would be lane 2, lane 1 then back to lane 2. I'm not sure who would be at fault if somebody hit you as they were technically breaking the law by being in lane 2.
Downshifted into second to make my presence very heard, moved into lane 1 and undertook them all at 70mph. Pulled out infront of them the other side blasting the horn.

Pretty textbook undertake :cry:

I nearly had a nasty accident on the A1 a couple of weeks back with an Audi A4 coming from lane 1 to lane 2 after undertaking the same car I'd just finished overtaking in lane 3. So while I sympathize with the frustration of middle lane hoggers you need to keep your cool when dealing with them and be really sure you aren't going to end up collecting an innocent driver making their way back to the inside lane.

Soldato
Pretty textbook undertake :cry:

I nearly had a nasty accident on the A1 a couple of weeks back with an Audi A4 coming from lane 1 to lane 2 after undertaking the same car I'd just finished overtaking in lane 3. So while I sympathize with the frustration of middle lane hoggers you need to keep your cool when dealing with them and be really sure you aren't going to end up collecting an innocent driver making their way back to the inside lane.
Oops missed that bit:D. Thought he'd just stayed in lane 1.

^I don't think it's even that anymore, sometimes it's just manoeuvre :cry:.

Soldato
...and you for undertaking them.

Is undertaking (on the left) a punishable offence?
From what i remember of the highway-code it isn't, rather they/the officer would have to determine it as something else like 'careless driving'. But i'm not sure that would hold if middle-lane-hoggers were ignoring the highway code of keeping left whilst not overtaking and you pootled past at the NSL.

Soldato
Is undertaking (on the left) a punishable offence?
From what i remember of the highway-code it isn't, rather they/the officer would have to determine it as something else like 'careless driving'. But i'm not sure that would hold if middle-lane-hoggers were ignoring the highway code of keeping left whilst not overtaking and you pootled past at the NSL.

If it was an offense then all it means is one single person could sit in the fast lane doing 45 and no-one would be able to pass legally regardless of how many lanes there are. That would be really stupid in my opinion.

Undertaking isn't exactly promoted but if you have to do it then either you're an impatient idiot or another driver is doing something wrong.

Back
Top Bottom