Poll: ** LG 27GP950 AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER NOW - LIMITED AVAILABILITY **

Do you have any black screen issues?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
Dont take my post the wrong way. I am not saying all you guys should just accept the fact this is happening.

I am just enjoying the monitor for what it is 120hz 4k... LG Customer service is a complete waste of time and going forward I will be voting with my wallet and will never recommend this company to anybody.

I found the guys on the phone quite polite and helpful to be honest. It did take a long time to go for repairs and come back. But once I told them that it wasn't fixed and that I wasn't confident another repair would fix my issue, they were pretty prompt with helping to arrange the return for me.
Every other method of communication with their support was dreadful. But phoning them up each time I wanted an answer was usually ok.
I think their usual resolution time is a few weeks, so when you've had a case open with them for a couple of month, you seem to get some good action from them.

Associate
My GP950 was returned.
I ordered a M32U and a m28U which actually arrived sooner than I expected. Whilst I find that the M28U has a couple of brightness niggles (appear to have to have on local dimming to get max brightness which can cause some 'blooming' on colours in games), these monitors seem to be far more usable.
Will monitor for black screens... but so far so good.
No black screens on my M28U after replacing my GP950 a couple of months ago, same cables etc. used on the LG that black screened. I'm sure you'll be very happy yours!

Associate
Anyone get a clicking, almost grinding noise from the monitor when turning it on? I get it for the first 10-15min when I turn it on , and it goes away. Almost like the monitor is warming up or something and when it's been on for a bit it goes away and never comes back until I turn it off.

Associate
I don't think its too uncommon for screens and TVs to warm up and the plastic casing to creak/snap a little bit. not sure about grinding though!

Associate
Anyone get a clicking, almost grinding noise from the monitor when turning it on? I get it for the first 10-15min when I turn it on , and it goes away. Almost like the monitor is warming up or something and when it's been on for a bit it goes away and never comes back until I turn it off.
No creak/snap or grinding on my monitor completely silent:p

Associate
NVIDIA GeForce 496.98 Hotfix drivers.
The hotfix addresses the following issues:

• [YouTube: The YouTube web site randomly displays extreme contrast/gamma while idle or during video playback. [3420164]
  • [Notebook]: Black screen may be observed on some Optimus notebooks with 1440p/165hz panels when in discrete GPU mode [3426730]
  • Games do not launch correctly on GeForce GTX 750 Ti when NVIDIA Image Scaling is enabled
  • [3442778]Using Adaptive Vertical Sync while G-SYNC is enabled may result in random black screen [3437003]
  • [Red Dead Redemption 2/Doom Eternal]: The game crashes with TDR or the system crashes while running the game. [200766423]
This hotfix came up recently. I can't test now but if any of you wants to go give it a try let us know if it fixes the black screen. There is some hope...

Soldato
NVIDIA GeForce 496.98 Hotfix drivers.
The hotfix addresses the following issues:

• [YouTube: The YouTube web site randomly displays extreme contrast/gamma while idle or during video playback. [3420164]
  • [Notebook]: Black screen may be observed on some Optimus notebooks with 1440p/165hz panels when in discrete GPU mode [3426730]
  • Games do not launch correctly on GeForce GTX 750 Ti when NVIDIA Image Scaling is enabled
  • [3442778]Using Adaptive Vertical Sync while G-SYNC is enabled may result in random black screen [3437003]
  • [Red Dead Redemption 2/Doom Eternal]: The game crashes with TDR or the system crashes while running the game. [200766423]
This hotfix came up recently. I can't test now but if any of you wants to go give it a try let us know if it fixes the black screen. There is some hope...

I would be very interested in knowing if this fixed it for anyone.

Associate
If it helps, random black screens (where screen goes black and comes back quickly as if it momentarily lost signal) are being encountered by myself and others with Gigabyte M28U and M32U displays.

Associate
If it helps, random black screens (where screen goes black and comes back quickly as if it momentarily lost signal) are being encountered by myself and others with Gigabyte M28U and M32U displays.

Weird, i've come from a gp950 to a M28U/M32U and haven't had any issues at all yet.

Associate
That might actually expedite a solution if it's now being observed across multiple devices.

Associate
That might actually expedite a solution if it's now being observed across multiple devices.

I hope so too, I found a few reddit posts of people with M28U/M32U and had figured it might be something with the monitor so coming across this thread for a very similar monitor having the same issue makes me feel it might be a Windows or GPU driver issue. I've tried 3 different DisplayPort cables with mine (including a proper VESA Certified cable) and the issue has persisted but I'm still trying to narrow down possible causes.

Saying that I installed the hotfix driver mentioned above and so far no issues but I'll keep trying to figure it out.

Associate
i've been talking to nvidia about this as i started to get black screens in browsers / 2d apps after upgrading to a 3080ti FE. They let me know they had found the issue and would be fixed in a hofix release (mentioned above). What happens is when the GPU drops power when less stressed using it's PM protocols it can go too low and cause slight signal drop. Seems to effect FE cards worse than AIB cards but non the less it is across the board. It's unique to high refresh g-sync monitors too.

Associate
idk if this help: I usually have no black screens (on mac mini m1: 144hz no hdr ) but when I play xbox series x if I play halo at 120hz with hdr on, I get black screens. my solution has been to go to the menu in settings->game adjust->adaptive sync and change from extended to basic. black screens are gone.

edit: I whish there was a dedicated thread for this issue with all the suggested workarounds and recommended settings to minimize the problem, pinned to the first page

Last edited:
Associate
The OSC Software tells me there's no new firmware update and the LG website shows the same version of OSC. Where are you getting this from?

edit: Oh, you mean the windows calibration stuff?

Back
Top Bottom