Poll: ** LG 27GP950 AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER NOW - LIMITED AVAILABILITY **

Do you have any black screen issues?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Was about to hit the order button as I notice it is 25% off now, but I am starting to see why. I am reading so many horror stories in this thread. It's a shame as I bought the 1440p version of this monitor a couple of years ago and it had been incredible.
I will pass on it for now.

edit: I ended up changing my mind, it seems all the other decent monitors are out of stock and OCUK's always had a good RMA service in case things do go awry.

edit 2: this monitor is really darn good. Zero issues whatsoever after a couple days' heavy usage.

Last edited:
Associate
So I finally tried the newest firmware coming from SV4.04_DV31_NV6.06. There are some things I noticed so thought I would come here and share.
- The newest version of firmware does indeed correct the black screen problem but according to my experience it comes at a cost:

1. while the gsync is better than the other versions it's still not as good as the performance seen with SV4.04_DV31_NV6.06. There is noticeable tearing in the middle of the screen when panning the camera from top to bottom in fps games. This is not as noticeable in version SV4.04_DV31_NV6.06.

2. I immediately noticed after updating to the latest firmware that the colors seemed " washed out" and even "pale". It just simply doesn't feel like the same monitor.

These issues were so obvious to me that I even decided to go back and forth between these firmware versions(1Hr:44Min firmware update time GG) several times to corroborate the issues and after at least 4 tries I decided on sticking with the old SV4.04_DV31_NV6.06 version because the newest firmware just doesn't look good IMO. All tests were conducted with a PC and RTX 3080 playing Fortnite and other fast-paced vibrant color games.

I'm curious to see if other people are willing to check this out and see if they have the same findings as me!

Associate
So I finally tried the newest firmware coming from SV4.04_DV31_NV6.06. There are some things I noticed so thought I would come here and share.
- The newest version of firmware does indeed correct the black screen problem but according to my experience it comes at a cost:

1. while the gsync is better than the other versions it's still not as good as the performance seen with SV4.04_DV31_NV6.06. There is noticeable tearing in the middle of the screen when panning the camera from top to bottom in fps games. This is not as noticeable in version SV4.04_DV31_NV6.06.

2. I immediately noticed after updating to the latest firmware that the colors seemed " washed out" and even "pale". It just simply doesn't feel like the same monitor.

These issues were so obvious to me that I even decided to go back and forth between these firmware versions(1Hr:44Min firmware update time GG) several times to corroborate the issues and after at least 4 tries I decided on sticking with the old SV4.04_DV31_NV6.06 version because the newest firmware just doesn't look good IMO. All tests were conducted with a PC and RTX 3080 playing Fortnite and other fast-paced vibrant color games.

I'm curious to see if other people are willing to check this out and see if they have the same findings as me!

Did you tried previous version SV4.04_DV39_NV6.06 released in April 2022?

What I do remember is that when I updated from SV4.04_DV39_NV6.06 to SV4.06_DV44_NV6.07, all my settings in the Nvidia Control Panel were reset, including the color settings, which reverted to default instead of the Nvidia color settings. So, I had to redo all the settings to achieve the best setup.

The same thing also happened to the Windows Color profile for HDR, and I had to calibrate the profile again.

I'm not sure if this is related to your experience of washed-out and pale colors.

Associate
I checked the Nvidia control panel each time I tried a different firmware. When I mentioned the image looks pale and washed out its not a tremendous amount but still very noticeable. It's like going from a 900 contrast monitor to a 1200 contrast monitor.

Associate
Surprisingly, another firmware update has been released for this monitor: -

MODEL_27GP950_SV4.07_DV51_NV6.07_20230522.zip

I've not installed it yet and there's nowhere to see a list of changes, so I have no idea what it does.

Soldato
Surprisingly, another firmware update has been released for this monitor: -

MODEL_27GP950_SV4.07_DV51_NV6.07_20230522.zip

I've not installed it yet and there's nowhere to see a list of changes, so I have no idea what it does.

In my case I would be very careful about updating. The version I am on has been rock soild so I am not sure what this would change.

Would be nice to have a change log

Associate
In my case I would be very careful about updating. The version I am on has been rock soild so I am not sure what this would change.

Would be nice to have a change log
I ended up updating mine late last night. It didn't take anywhere near as long as the last update, and everything seems fine, although I can't notice any differences so I agree that there's not really a good reason to update if the current firmware you're on is fine.

That said, you can downgrade. I've got all the firmware versions saved, other than the initial version that came installed on the monitor, as that was never available to download.

Associate
This new firmware fixes the washed-out colors I complained about in the previous firmware. I think console players have more difficulty telling good gsync and bad gsync apart. This version improved on gsync smoothness over the display port and fixes the washed-out colors. I believe this is the best firmware we have to date. Safe to update ;)

Associate
I ended up updating mine late last night. It didn't take anywhere near as long as the last update, and everything seems fine, although I can't notice any differences so I agree that there's not really a good reason to update if the current firmware you're on is fine.

That said, you can downgrade. I've got all the firmware versions saved, other than the initial version that came installed on the monitor, as that was never available to download.
Hi! Would you mind sharing those firmwares? I'd like to keep them too just in case.

Associate
I updated to 4.07_DV51_NV6.07 and for some strange reason DP 1.4 (DSC) and DP 1.4 don't work anymore and I'm having the same issue with HDMI 2.1 where I can't select anything over 60Hz... all I get is either a black screen or a screen of a solid colour (blue, grey or blue).

Running an Nvidia 4080 with 31.0.15.3667 12/07/2023.

Plugging in a PS5 appears to work fine at frequencies above 60Hz.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Associate
Hi! Would you mind sharing those firmwares? I'd like to keep them too just in case.
Sorry for the late reply. I didn't get an email notification.

Here's all of the firmware updates that have been released so far: -

LEFT-CLICK (Mega.nz link)

I updated to 4.07_DV51_NV6.07 and for some strange reason DP 1.4 (DSC) and DP 1.4 don't work anymore and I'm having the same issue with HDMI 2.1 where I can't select anything over 60Hz... all I get is either a black screen or a screen of a solid colour (blue, grey or blue).

Running an Nvidia 4080 with 31.0.15.3667 12/07/2023.

Plugging in a PS5 appears to work fine at frequencies above 60Hz.

Anyone got any thoughts?

You could try downgrading, then upgrading again, or just downgrade and stay on that version if everything was working OK.

Associate
Sorry for the late reply. I didn't get an email notification.

Here's all of the firmware updates that have been released so far: -

LEFT-CLICK (Mega.nz link)

You could try downgrading, then upgrading again, or just downgrade and stay on that version if everything was working OK.
That's the thing... everything was working ok with an older Nvidia driver until a few months back I updated the driver and 144Hz stopped working after a reboot (black screen).

What's even stranger is that if I roll back the Nvidia driver 144Hz works Ok again but I can't stay on that old game ready driver forevermore so I figured I'd update the monitor firmware.

Thanks for sharing the link for firmware updates :)

Last edited:
Associate
I've now tried all firmware's and the same issue occurs.

Since around May after a Nvidia Driver update I've not been able to run the monitor at anything greater than 60Hz; if I install any Nvidia driver after that date the monitor will work just fine @ 144Hz 4K but as soon as I reboot the computer it will no longer sync at anything over 60Hz, I get a black screen normally but when looking at LG Settings I can see it's connected at 144Hz, Extended FreeSync, HDR ON, Fast response time and DAS on or off.

I've tried different cables (Display Port and HDMI 2.1) which are certified, DDU to remove all drivers, Ports, etc. If I revert back to the older driver (I can't remember what version it is off hand) it works fine but not with any driver after that date.

Last edited:
Associate
Fingers crossed it's fixed... reset motherboard bios; weird if it does fix it as I've not changed anything since building the PC well over a year ago.

Might update bios at a later date if it remains stable for awhile.

Associate
Nope, not fixed....as I reset my BIOS I remembered I used to have Resizable Bar enabled so I went into the BIOS and set it up again with the following settings - CSM Disabled + Above 4G Decoding Enabled + Re-Size Bar Support Auto.

Since enabling this I now have the same issue as before in that I can't run either DisplayPort or HMDI above 60Hz.

Motherboard is a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra which I also now updated to the firmware to see if that fixes it but it hasn't.

Anyone come across this?

Back
Top Bottom