Jaaaaaag Owners

Man of Honour
:confused:

A quick look of the XF market for 10-12k shows most cars are either 10 years old or 4 cylinder diesels. Not really sure how that makes me 'wrong about everything else' given I only said 2 things and you agreed the first one was right :D

Soldato
Hmmmm I'm surprised no one uses this thread. Lots of jags on the roads these days.

Looking at getting either a xf or a xe I've got around 10k to spend so looking at 2010-2012 plate cars. Is there anything I should look out for? Any specs that are a must?

Cheers

If your looking at buying a 10-12k Jag either do a lot more research or don't bother, by the sound of what you know so far it'll end up being a financial nightmare for you

Soldato
If your looking at buying a 10-12k Jag either do a lot more research or don't bother, by the sound of what you know so far it'll end up being a financial nightmare for you

Not very reliable I take it?

Been looking at audi a4's but Ive had one and had nothing put trouble with that. Not to sure what else there is of that size/style for that kind of money.

Man of Honour
£10-12k has always been a tricky budget for a car like this and the current ridiculous used car prices have made it even more so.

It's not really enough to buy a reasonably new or up to date model, but it's still a lot of money, so it's rather too much to be spending to buy something old, high mileage and dated. This makes it difficult to find much especially if you value reliability.

Typically something like a Skoda Superb would offer great value at this price point but even these are expensive these days. It's difficult to know what to advise, really. Your experience with the A4 is really what you get at this end of the market - the A4 isn't particularly unreliable in its own right, its just that older cars tend to go wrong more often.

Soldato
£10-12k has always been a tricky budget for a car like this and the current ridiculous used car prices have made it even more so.

It's not really enough to buy a reasonably new or up to date model, but it's still a lot of money, so it's rather too much to be spending to buy something old, high mileage and dated. This makes it difficult to find much especially if you value reliability.

Typically something like a Skoda Superb would offer great value at this price point but even these are expensive these days. It's difficult to know what to advise, really. Your experience with the A4 is really what you get at this end of the market - the A4 isn't particularly unreliable in its own right, its just that older cars tend to go wrong more often.

Yeah I hear what your saying.

Problem I also have is, it's a car for the wife. She only wants a Audi A4, BMW 3 series or a Jag. And of course it has to be white. So it make finding a car even harder.

Caporegime
So after this thread I ignored you all and went sensible.

5Skhnn.jpg

But as life goes on things change, a big dog who took up all the i30 boot and a baby meant needing something large.

Initially I was looking at Passat GTE Advance but given the market there wasn't anything remotely similar in terms of cost / mileage to what @paradigm paid earlier in the year. Skoda... hmm meh. 5 Series, E Class AUC petrols pretty non-existent in the £ I was looking to spend.

So I ended up with this 2018 2.0 petrol Jaguar XF Sportbrake Portfolio.

5S44ef.jpg

5S4r5G.jpg

Obviously 3 days and a couple of hours into owning the car the check engine light came on. Some faffing around and taking too long with the selling dealership and Jaguar warranty but the fault was finally fixed last week.

Had F1 AS5s fitted the other week which are a massive improvement over what was fitted originally.

5S6GQ2.jpg

5S6Ehl.jpg

5S61I4.jpg

5S6lpf.jpg

5S6ckG.jpg

Caporegime
That looks nice, fits your requirement very well. Has it had the software update to enable CarPlay and android auto?

Yeah all up to date. Use Android Auto and it's really quick. The Jag nav itself isn't actually too bad, but considering my phone is always on me I'll just use Android Auto.

Let me guess, original tyres were Pirellis :) Great in the 3 days of hot summer we get in this country, utter cack the rest of the year. I switched to Michelins ages ago on the XJ and sooo much better.

Look like they say Westlake on them. Never heard of them.

Surprising to see on a recent model approved used too.

WestLake ZuperEco to be precise. I've no idea either.

It did ask for OE tyres which are F1 AS3s. "tyres meet approved used tread depth" I was told and the money they wanted to fit was more than getting them changed myself.

Soldato
Did you end up getting the XKR?
What's your thoughts on ownership?

I've been toying with the idea of one for a few months now, but one of the things putting me off is the outdated infotainment systems. it as bad as some people say
it's an F-type not an XKR.

As a matter of fact, I did buy it in August 2022 for effectively 32K and sold it in August 2023 via Motorway for 24500. Big loss especially as I put 3500 into it in repairs and tyres.

I loved the car, it was epic even though it was only the v6S not the V8. BUT, as a daily driver it was not a wise choice especially in SE London where there are speed bumps everywhere. I was slowing down to 15mph to avoid the nose hitting the ground after the bumps. Plus, mine was of the road for nearly two months with a failed but stuck injector and Jaguar mechanics are thin on the ground.

Mine had the same infotainment as the Jag XE I had owned previously. Earlier models - pre 2015 - had very poor systems so I would guess the XK line had even worse. But the reality is that a) usually they can be replaced and b) if it has bluetooth or USB you can play music from your phone and use your phone as a satnav. That's what I did in my F-type.

Also, if you're thinking of an XKR, you won't care about the infotainment as you will have the windows down listening to that exhaust and you won't care where you're going as long as you're going somewhere.

Soldato
Picked this up at the start of the week, haven't had a chance to take any decent pictures yet as it was filthy by the time I got it home, dealership was also having work done...

I'll write some better thoughts after I've had a proper chance to play with it but after a nervous wait thinking why did I buy a Jag... My initial first impressions are that this is possibly the best car I've ever had :)

D200 R Dynamic SE

x1GHXve.jpg

TyF3ni9.jpg

Soldato
Nice. Good to hear your thoughts. Never did launch right and needed a halo car a with touch more power than the 380bhp S variant.

Massive uplift in the interior and electrical system at 21MY was then ruined by covid and 4 cylinder only engine options.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom