Ole's sacked, who next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don
No idea how Rangnick as a manager for 6 months will do but unless there's a fundamental change to how Utd operate then his stint as an adviser or Director of Football in 6 months time will be a car crash. Everything he's about is at complete odds with how Utd have been run in the past 10 years.

Man of Honour
No idea how Rangnick as a manager for 6 months will do but unless there's a fundamental change to how Utd operate then his stint as an adviser or Director of Football in 6 months time will be a car crash. Everything he's about is at complete odds with how Utd have been run in the past 10 years.

This hopefully signals a change. Fingers crossed.

Surely the Glazers might eventually twig on that having someone who knows what they are doing will probably save them money, and make them more successful, earning more too.

fez

fez

Caporegime
What the ruddy hell are we doing. There must be some sort of grand plan to **** this up spectacularly. It almost seems like the club are trying to make themselves...dare I say it...football focussed.

Soldato
You can't knock this move at all, reports that he'll move upstairs after for a 2 year consultancy. Not only klopp but he also influenced Tuchel and Naglesmann.

Been a prolific success especially with the academies.

Don
This hopefully signals a change. Fingers crossed.

Surely the Glazers might eventually twig on that having someone who knows what they are doing will probably save them money, and make them more successful, earning more too.
I'm not sure it's as simple as the Glazers trusting and allowing him to call the shots. That's obviously important because one thing the Glazers have shown post Fergie is that they'll make short term, reactionary decisions but you also have to question whether what Rangnick achieved and stands for is transferable to a club like Utd. Rangnick's never been at a side that's really challenged at the top table, what he's done is built sides to a level a rung or two below the elite without ever actually making the final steps. At Utd he'd obviously have more spending power but similar to how Bielsa tries to manage, it's easier to get the buy-in from younger players without the superstar egos than established elite players.

It's certainly not impossible as there are lots of similarities to how Liverpool do things but you need everybody at the club to buy into the idea. You only had to look at how things went wrong under Rodgers when we had a manager not fully aligned with those above him. Would Utd allow Rangnick to appoint his successor or will they appoint Poch (or whoever they think is best) that doesn't want to work under Rangnick's set-up? If they do appoint a Rangnick man, what do they then do about all the very high profile and very expensive players that don't suit his philosophy?

As a manager probably not (but what interim is?), but he's been a huge influence on a number of top managers particularly Klopp.
There's certainly similarities to how they set sides up but Klopp always credits Wolfgang Frank as the manager that shaped him.

Man of Honour
I said this at the start of the month:
I would be delighted with Rangnick, assuming he's prepared to be Sporting Director afterwards, that would just be ideal. He could then help appoint a new manager in the summer. Far too good of a plan to ever come true though, I fear...
So we're sort of two-thirds of the way there... a miracle!

I'm not sure it's as simple as the Glazers trusting and allowing him to call the shots. That's obviously important because one thing the Glazers have shown post Fergie is that they'll make short term, reactionary decisions but you also have to question whether what Rangnick achieved and stands for is transferable to a club like Utd. Rangnick's never been at a side that's really challenged at the top table, what he's done is built sides to a level a rung or two below the elite without ever actually making the final steps. At Utd he'd obviously have more spending power but similar to how Bielsa tries to manage, it's easier to get the buy-in from younger players without the superstar egos than established elite players.

It's certainly not impossible as there are lots of similarities to how Liverpool do things but you need everybody at the club to buy into the idea. You only had to look at how things went wrong under Rodgers when we had a manager not fully aligned with those above him. Would Utd allow Rangnick to appoint his successor or will they appoint Poch (or whoever they think is best) that doesn't want to work under Rangnick's set-up? If they do appoint a Rangnick man, what do they then do about all the very high profile and very expensive players that don't suit his philosophy?

It'll be about striking a balance. Here the expectation is greater and the financial sums will be larger, but his philosophy is very clear - although it is geared towards high-energy younger players, but we have plenty of those in fairness. He's supposedly a bit more mellow these days and trusting of others, so is perhaps less likely to have a bust up with the board, although if the board have learned anything at all, they'll defer to his judgement.

The dream scenario is that he stays on, and we bring in Ten Hag, but equally, despite being everyones choice, he's a bit of an unknown quantity at this level too. Ajax are a huge club, but play in a relatively poor league where they are the top dog. Ten Hag would never be able to work within the current system where Woodward and the Glazers mess things up, but if we changed the footballing structure, the potential is there.

Just as an aside, Sancho is a prime example of someone I hope will flourish in a new system with someone like Rangnick as manager. Van De Beek will be well suited too.

Interesting times, for a change.

Caporegime
Just as we top our group in the Champions League. We have the squad to compete. Just need someone to cobble them together in a good fashion. Last 16 games are not till end of Feb so plenty of time to get the team sorted.

Maybe a cheeky CDM in January too ;).

Don
It'll be about striking a balance. .. but if we changed the footballing structure, the potential is there.
These are just words until things change though. There's very little evidence to suggest that Utd are willing to stick to a long term process nor have a clear vision of where they're going or how they're getting there. The club that are now trying to hire Rangnick have 3 months earlier signed a 36 year old Ronaldo - these aren't the actions of somebody with a clear plan of where they're going or how they're getting there.

Maybe the Utd board have overnight made a complete change in approach and are going to appoint a coach to work under Rangnick in the summer, clear out the expensive, lazy egos in the squad and build a young, high energy side with a clear way of playing. Or maybe it's another "he was successful there so we'll give him a go" appointment.

Man of Honour
These are just words until things change though. There's very little evidence to suggest that Utd are willing to stick to a long term process nor have a clear vision of where they're going or how they're getting there. The club that are now trying to hire Rangnick have 3 months earlier signed a 36 year old Ronaldo - these aren't the actions of somebody with a clear plan of where they're going or how they're getting there.

The board had deluded themselves into thinking Ole and his coaches could rival Klopp/Pep. They are embarrassing.

Maybe the Utd board have overnight made a complete change in approach and are going to appoint a coach to work under Rangnick in the summer, clear out the expensive, lazy egos in the squad and build a young, high energy side with a clear way of playing. Or maybe it's another "he was successful there so we'll give him a go" appointment.

Hopefully the former! :p

Don
Hopefully the former! :p
Only time will tell but I wouldn't be as confident as you. I'm more interested to see how he does as a manager to be honest - is he going to leave out a lot of big names or will he water down his way of playing in the short-term?

Man of Honour
Only time will tell but I wouldn't be as confident as you. I'm more interested to see how he does as a manager to be honest - is he going to leave out a lot of big names or will he water down his way of playing in the short-term?

I'm not sure. I mean Ronaldo isn't going to be ideal for a high energy pressing game, but as long as he does it at the right time, could the team carry him (to an extent)...

Fred is ideal for it, Sancho, Rashford, Bruno has a lot of energy if he can direct it properly, VdB will be fine.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they try and sort out some midfield reinforcements in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom