Ahmaud Arbery killing trial

Soldato
OP
White supremacy in action. :p

This case wasn't white supremacists, although with their number plate and his comment over the dead Arbery there is no doubt he and his father are racist. It clearly showed how institutional racism is still a problem there. The system tried to brush this under the carpet. Only public outrage when the video was leaked bought justice to these men.

Soldato
This case wasn't white supremacists, although with their number plate and his comment over the dead Arbery there is no doubt he and his father are racist. It clearly showed how institutional racism is still a problem there. The system tried to brush this under the carpet. Only public outrage when the video was leaked bought justice to these men.

That's the "worst" part for me, the system which is supposed to be colour blind with justice is, in this case at least and probably many other less famous cases, horribly corrupt.

Hopefully the media storm around this case and the criminal case against the prosecuter will open a few eyes into "oh poop, we cant get away with this stuff any more" but sadly I think it probably won't as too many bad habits are too deeply ingrained with some folks.

Soldato
Clear as day they were going down, although as echoed above slighty surprising the dude that caught it on camera has been done.

Anyone know what's happening to the DA was 'recommending' no charges initially?

Associate
DA's get 4 year terms before elections so with a their election to office being dependant on the majority vote of the rednecks, even attempting to brush it under the carpet will appeal to them so they'll get in again.

If you've never heard of DA Doug Evans in the Curtis Flowers case and the fact he's still in office after all that, for a real window into the american judicial system if you listen to the In The Dark podcast.

Soldato
Clear as day they were going down, although as echoed above slighty surprising the dude that caught it on camera has been done.

Pretty disgusting law that tags everyone around the killer as guilty of murder.

So yeah, the guy with the camera gets the chance at a life sentence.

Caporegime
Once again, the American judicial system is bonkers.

Is it right that he didn't even know the father and son? Just filmed them chasing/killing an innocent man, now he's somehow also guilty of 3 counts of felony murder.

Associate
Once again, the American judicial system is bonkers.

Is it right that he didn't even know the father and son? Just filmed them chasing/killing an innocent man, now he's somehow also guilty of 3 counts of felony murder.

He was part of the chase and helped block Arbery in with his vehicle

Soldato
DA's get 4 year terms before elections so with a their election to office being dependant on the majority vote of the rednecks, even attempting to brush it under the carpet will appeal to them so they'll get in again.

If you've never heard of DA Doug Evans in the Curtis Flowers case and the fact he's still in office after all that, for a real window into the american judicial system if you listen to the In The Dark podcast.
Wow, never knew of that case before, think I'll give that podcast a listen to later! But I do note the only reason that DA is still in office is because he ran unopposed in 2019, still ****** up mind you. Indicates that nothing will happen to the DA in the Aubrey case though.

Soldato
OP

Anyone know what's happening to the DA was 'recommending' no charges initially?

Ex-Glynn County District Attorney Jackie Johnson turned herself in to the Glynn County Sheriff's office Wednesday morning, reports the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, after a grand jury returned an indictment on counts of obstruction and violations of oath by a public officer last week

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jackie-johnson-ahmaud-arbery-prosecutor-charged-obstruction/

Caporegime

Tony Timpa was brushed under the carpet as well and he was white, his killers haven't even been charged, it's difficult to ascertain what's racism vs what's the system just protecting itself.

Soldato
Tony Timpa was brushed under the carpet as well and he was white, his killers haven't even been charged, it's difficult to ascertain what's racism vs what's the system just protecting itself.
Wasn't he killed by police? They go to extreme lengths to protect their own, sadly. One set of laws for us and another for them

Soldato
Wasn't he killed by police? They go to extreme lengths to protect their own, sadly. One set of laws for us and another for them
yes he was. different circumstances to Gf as he called the police himself

He had called 9-1-1 for aid, telling the dispatcher that he had schizophrenia and depression but had not taken his prescription medication. Timpa had already been handcuffed by a security guard when a group of officers arrived. They restrained him on the ground while he squirmed, repeatedly crying out, "You're gonna kill me!". After he fell unconscious, the officers assumed he was asleep and, rather than confirm that he was breathing or feel for a pulse, joked about waking him up for school and making him breakfast. They kept him prone on grass for nearly 14 minutes and zip-tied his legs together, one pressing his knee into Timpa's back. One of the paramedics called to the scene administered the sedative Versed. The responders began to panic only as they loaded Timpa's body onto a gurney, one exclaiming, "He didn’t just die down there, did he?" Timpa died within 20 minutes of police officers' arrival, of "cocaine and the stress associated with physical restraint", according to his autopsy.[2]

It took over three years for footage of the incident to be released. The footage contradicted claims by Dallas Police that Timpa was aggressive.[3][4] The officers involved were Sgt. Kevin Mansell and Officers Danny Vasquez and Dustin Dillard.[5] Criminal charges against three officers were dropped in March 2019 and they returned to active duty.[6] An excessive force civil lawsuit against the officers was dismissed by U. S. District Judge David C. Godbey in July 2020 on the basis of qualified immunity.[7] As of May 2021, this case is under appeal.[8]

Timpa's death came to prominence in 2020 after the murder of George Floyd, who was killed in a similar way.[9] When Derek Chauvin was convicted of murdering Floyd, a number of commentators drew comparisons between Floyd and Timpa. Ryan Mills, writing in the National Review, noted that, "There was no national uproar after Timpa's death. No national cries for justice and reform. The city of Dallas paid no settlement to Timpa's family."[8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Tony_Timpa

Soldato
yes he was. different circumstances to Gf as he called the police himself

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Tony_Timpa

Yeah I had to google the case after I posted that as it was a different one I was thinking of. I can't recall the name of the one I thought of but it was the one where the man got some really dodger orders and murdered whilst being told to lay down/come forward etc. I believe he didn't get charged though? I could be wrong

I'm glad our police aren't in the same military vein such as over there

Caporegime
That's the "worst" part for me, the system which is supposed to be colour blind with justice is, in this case at least and probably many other less famous cases, horribly corrupt.

Hopefully the media storm around this case and the criminal case against the prosecuter will open a few eyes into "oh poop, we cant get away with this stuff any more" but sadly I think it probably won't as too many bad habits are too deeply ingrained with some folks.

I'm not sure it is per se, Hanlon's razor probably applies here to some extent - it obviously fits the narrative though, black guy was shot and local prosecutors need to be pushed to act... later charges are filed and that they weren't previously was because of racism in that southern state of Georgia etc.. when incompetence is quite plausible too.

Here is a case from Texas for example, I saw it today as the video has only just been released, this occurred at the start of the month and charges still haven't been filed, the shooter is a free man, isn't even on bail - guy turns up to collect his kid, has an argument with his ex, her partner goes into the house and comes back with a gun, seems like clear provocation much like the good ol boys in the Arbery case, there is then a struggle with the gun, much like the Arbery case and the guy who only went there to collect his son/had a verbal argument with his ex is shot dead.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/te...med-confrontation/BSID4HDPSUOH6YLEQWR2ZG2JZ4/

But no charges have been filed (yet) and they might not be at all - it has been referred to the Texas AG because of some local conflict of interest with an elected official.

There are lots of shooting incidents in the US - sometimes charges aren't filled with this stuff, sometimes they take time, sometimes there are strong enough "self-defence" provisions that it's OK not to file them, they screwed it up with the Arbery case but that isn't necessarily down to the prosecutor not being colour blind, it could just as easily be incompetence, simply deciding that self-defence does apply as if perhaps has done in various other cases.

Soldato
Here is a case from Texas for example.........................there is then a struggle with the gun, much like the Arbery case and the guy who only went there to collect his son/had a verbal argument with his ex is shot dead.

Yeap seen it last night, my first thought was why was this unarmed man being so aggressive (shouting, standing chest to chest) with an armed man, then trying to grab for the gun twice? It was no surprise to me when they got shot after the 2nd attempt at grabbing the gun goes wrong.

Simply de-escalate things when you're in the presence of an armed man who you have a disagreement with - stand back, don't shout at them, don't try to grab the gun, call the police, walk away etc - yet some folks seem to think they're in a movie. In fact in this particular case I'm confident that the bigger, taller unarmed man simply thought he could try to dominate the smaller armed man and it never entered his mind that the armed smaller guy might consider him a threat and shoot him, I mean how many movies with bad guys saying "you won't pull the trigger" before being shot do you have to see to realise it's not a good idea IRL!

Caporegime
Yeap seen it last night, my first thought was why was this unarmed man being so aggressive (shouting, standing chest to chest) with an armed man, then trying to grab for the gun twice? It was no surprise to me when they got shot after the 2nd attempt at grabbing the gun goes wrong.

That happened in the case in this thread too - the unarmed man was aggressive upon being confronted with an armed man and tried to grab the gun - thing is the person with the gun deliberately escalated things and caused the provocation - in the Arbery case they chased him down, in this case the guy goes back into the house first (during a verbal argument) and gets a gun.

Simply de-escalate things when you're in the presence of an armed man who you have a disagreement with - stand back, don't shout at them, don't try to grab the gun, call the police, walk away etc - yet some folks seem to think they're in a movie. In fact in this particular case I'm confident that the bigger, taller unarmed man simply thought he could try to dominate the smaller armed man and it never entered his mind that the armed smaller guy might consider him a threat and shoot him, I mean how many movies with bad guys saying "you won't pull the trigger" before being shot do you have to see to realise it's not a good idea IRL!

Yup, I agree - thing is with various local laws in the US this stuff can be difficult. That they were on the shooter's property in this recent incident, for example, probably helps in Texas + the fact he's asked him to leave. In Georgia, in the Arbery case, they obvs weren't on private property - they perhaps just had strong self defence law to deal with - Georgia has strong "stand your ground" provisions - so someone with a gun being rushed can have an argument re: self defence, it's harder than it maybe looks.

That's probably the main cause of the initial lack of action - these southern states love guns and provide strong protections in law for gun owners, that can make prosecutions harder than they'd otherwise be.

Soldato

Unfortunately, the media has ruined its credibility by crying "WOLF" too many times. They try to create a "storm" out of just about everything.

Back
Top Bottom