• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Raptor Lake Leaks + Intel 4 developments

Soldato
What are downsides of using hybrid memory controller? Zen 4 as competitor of RPL will have ddr5 only controller, i guess that means it will support higher speeds, function better.
Depends if the higher speed will add much extra performance as even with fast DDR5 on Alderlake the extra performance vs DDR4 isn't much.

One things for sure that Zen 4 is going to be a very expensive platform with it being DDR5 only and most likely with just X670 at the start while RPL will likely have the cheaper DDR4 option and the cheaper B-series boards and older Z690 will be available.

Soldato
Raptor Lake is the tock to Alder Lake's Tick, process node improvement and better PPW.

As for the AMD comment.

Totally forgetting that currently AM4 uses a huge I/O die that is on 12nm, ~125mm² and about 2.1 billion transistors, compare that to a 7nm CCD which is ~75mm², yet has 3.8 billion transistors, shrinking the I/O die to a mature 7nm/6nm process and adding an integrated GPU will be reasonably easy on the AM5 (LGA) package, as much like Intel it will be very slightly larger socket area. The 5700G APU is 10.8 billion at ~180mm² on a single monolithic 7nm die, yet contains almost the same I/O as a standard Zen3 based part, and a full compliment of 8c/16t, but half the L3 cache amount. So I doubt they'll struggle to fit a comparable GPU into the same space plus the I/O using the node shrink to free up the space. The I/O also counts for a huge amount of the power draw with Zen2/3 based parts, so power budget should be better with the smaller node.

Zen 4 CPUs are rumoured to have TDP up to 170w to accommodate for the iGPU, stacked cache and larger chips

Soldato
OP
Well, Intel hasn't said much about 7nm products yet, so probably not in 2022. What I speculated about a couple of days ago is likely to be incorrect, unfortunately.

The CEO said Meteor Lake is their 7nm product in a recent earnings call. What's interesting, is that investors don't appear to be asking any questions about new products in 2022, it's possible that there aren't any planned. I think Intel is still congratulating themselves for finally releasing a good product (Alder Lake) on a new fabrication technology. The CEO said the yields were now 'good' for 10nm CPUs, so I suppose Intel will focus on producing as many Alder Lake mobile and desktop CPUs as possible in 2022.

As far as I can tell, the only person who originally claimed that Rocket Lake was planned for 2022, was Moore's Law is Dead.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah no one has confirmed it except Intel's own technical documents

ExaRiGrU8AEVugL

Soldato
OP
Are you sure that document confirms that 'Rocket Lake S' is actually going to be released, and is planned for 2022?

Another possibility is that it may not release until 2023, perhaps alongside Meteor Lake, or just before 7nm CPUs release. So, it could allow people to upgrade their CPU on existing Alder Lake boards, without needing to buy a new motherboard (considering Meteor Lake is a new architecture, it seems unlikely to be supported on current Z690 boards).

New CEO, so not necessarily the same old Intel, that must release new generations CPUs every year, come what may.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Unfortunately, I think Meteor Lake / 7nm and Zen 4 desktop CPUs will both release in 2023. There should be some Zen 4 server CPUs in 2022 though.

In 2022, Zen 3 + V-Cache will be a nice upgrade for people with recent AM4 boards.

Raptor Lake, as silly as it might sound, it could be 2023 for that as well. Intel got lots of Alder Lake CPUs to sell!

Last edited:
Soldato
I bet a fiver that is Pat Gelsinger himself posted here and confirmed Rocket Lake is planned for Q4 2022, g67575 will manage some mental gymnastics to question it...

I reckon if Pat physically gave them a Raptor Lake CPU, they'd use some find some way of saying it wasn't real, and didn't exist and it wasn't the Raptor Lake it was mean to be, and it was fabricated on a different continent, and used some magic beans to make it possible. :cry:

Soldato
OP
Didn't Intel drop loads of hints / previews regarding Alder Lake well before it's release though? There were some leaked die shots of Alder Lake in 2020.

Where's all the usual noise Intel makes regarding a new product?

Tbf though nothing was officially confirmed about Alder Lake until CES, in January 2021, "Preview of Next-Generation “Rocket Lake” and “Alder Lake” Technologies". Link here:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...21-four-new-processor-families.html#gs.i9i27e

So, maybe they will announce something at CES, next January. Or not :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That's interesting. Intel does seem quite confident about Meteor Lake so far (enough to set their schedule for 2023). The prototype they announced recently I think was specced as a mobile CPU.

Soldato
Intel Raptor Lake CPU with 24 cores and 32 threads spotted in a leaked benchmark

Source: https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-r...-and-32-threads-spotted-in-a-leaked-benchmark

Videocardz said:
As it was revealed back in August, Intel’s 13th Gen Core series codenamed Alder Lake will feature up to 8 Performance cores and 16 Efficient cores. This means that the full core count will increase from 16 to 24 for the next-gen Intel CPUs. Exactly this is shown in a very early leak likely featuring an Engineering Sample 1 (ES1) of the CPU, as we are still more than 10 months away from the launch.

The test lists ‘RPL-S ADP-S DDR5 UDIMM OC CRB‘, which is the test platform for upcoming CPUs, featuring the same LGA1700 socket that was used by just-announced Z690 motherboards.

Despite the rumors that the 13th Gen Core series might support faster JEDEC DDR5 memory specs by default (5600 MT/s), the test platform still features two DIMMs rated at 4800 MT/s. At this point though, the sample is still in a very early testing stage and likely severely limited by frequencies, so relatively low memory speed is not exactly the biggest concern here. And neither is the benchmark result that was leaked. The sample is a lot slower than Core i9-12900K CPU. As Tom’s Hardware notes, Intel has close ties with BAPCO, which is why the test is not included in typical review suites.

Intel Raptor Lake is now expected to launch around the fourth quarter of 2022. Just as Alder Lake, it is to feature Intel 7 process node, support LGA1700 socket, and launch for both desktop and mobile devices. Raptor’s Lake platform is now expected to feature changes to the CPU/motherboard power delivery mechanism that could improve power efficiency by a two-digit factor.

Loving the pace by Intel. 11th and 12th gen in 2021, followed by 13th gen in 2022. I would not be surprised if Intel try to launch Raptor Lake before Q4. Very curious to see the actual release cadence of Zen3 refresh, Raptor Lake, Zen4 and Meteor Lake. I don't think it'll play out the way it looks on paper/leaks.

Either way, truly an incredibly exciting time for us consumers :)

Soldato
Very exciting times indeed

with Raptor lake at 24 cores, AMD shall n be d to push to higher count as well, less they lose the multi thread performance crown to Intel

Back
Top Bottom