• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is 8GB of Vram enough for the 3070

Soldato
That game just caches video memory if its available. It's better to have more so more assets are cached, but it is not essential.

The game also has an option to decide how much video memory capacity is used by percentage. Default is 80%, max is 90%.

You never want to be using more than 90% ideally, as the OS and background apps need a slice of video memory too.

Soldato
Nvidia are very good at extracting money from people, one can't blame them for that they are a business, but it feels like they are taking me for an idiot and i don't want to prove them right.

8GB in 2020 with the level of the performance the 3070 has, it is a problem, and it will get worse, its baked in obsolescence to the most cynical degree, these things are not cheap.

Its about time people stopped white knighting it and made some noise about this crap.

I was banging this drum a year ago. It was a cheap out.

I bought a 3060ti in Dec 20, great card, but for £460, I wasn't happy with 8GB, but it was just a case of buying before prices went even more crazy in '21 and they did - bought 6700XT a few weeks ago for £750 just sold 3060ti for £1100 (non LHR).

3070 and 3080 should have had 12 GB minimum.

Now we see NV releasing a 2060 card with 12GB VRAM. amazing how much spare VRAM they can find down the back of the sofa when they're manufacturing a mining card...

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Nvidia are very good at extracting money from people, one can't blame them for that they are a business, but it feels like they are taking me for an idiot and i don't want to prove them right.

8GB in 2020 with the level of the performance the 3070 has, it is a problem, and it will get worse, its baked in obsolescence to the most cynical degree, these things are not cheap.

Its about time people stopped white knighting it and made some noise about this crap.

I bought a 3060ti in Dec 20, great card, but for £460, I wasn't happy with 8GB, but it was just a case of buying before prices went even more crazy in '21 and they did - bought 6700XT a few weeks ago for £750 just sold 3060ti for £1100 (non LHR).

Now we see NV releasing a 2060 card with 12GB VRAM. amazing how much spare VRAM they can find down the back of the sofa when they're manufacturing a mining card...

Glad to see you boys mention this, I never seen it posted (then again I avoided most threads as people find it hard to debate without fanboyism taking over) but have said similar myself but it doesn't read well coming from a 3090 user.

Soldato
Glad to see you boys mention this, I never seen it posted (then again I avoided most threads as people find it hard to debate without fanboyism taking over) but have said similar myself but it doesn't read well coming from a 3090 user.

I think NV have been cheaping out on VRAM for years.

This thread goes back to Oct last year, when the same things were said and people were told 8GB would be enough for years, and NV weren't cheaping out. I thought it was about getting longevity and value. not strictly a p*ssy argument about current VRAM usage, but thaat's what it descended into. VRAM requirements were always going to rise.

Soldato
I think NV have been cheaping out on VRAM for years.

This thread goes back to Oct last year, when the same things were said and people were told 8GB would be enough for years, and NV weren't cheaping out. I thought it was about getting longevity and value. not strictly a p*ssy argument about current VRAM usage, but thaat's what it descended into. VRAM requirements were always going to rise.
I recall that thread. As they pat themselves on the back dismissing longevity and value over some old dx11 game engine that didn't need more then 8gb for a top tier card as the future for gaming. A lot of mental gymnastics. Be that as it may here we are now. But I don't believe anyone is surprised. The only one fooled were the ones who actually believed them to be honest.

Soldato

Maybe I was around for them threads, if you mean in the context of 'no games show evidence of this' 'this is a non event' denial in so far as because its not in ones face its going to be ignored? I do remember saying myself that 8Gb was the quota for gpu's back in the polaris gen, and of course we have moved on a lot since then and will only become more apparent when these inbound games start using heavy/bigger textures.

not strictly a p*ssy argument about current VRAM usage, but thaat's what it descended into. VRAM requirements were always going to rise.

That's precisely why I moved on. Fingers in ears job and childish tit for tat stuff ensued.

Associate

Do they know something about ETH not going to POS any day soon then? Might be a while until ETH mining needs 12GB. Or maybe they have been busy and are going to launch the NvidiaCoin which requires a 12GB RTX card?

Soldato
Do they know something about ETH not going to POS any day soon then? Might be a while until ETH mining needs 12GB. Or maybe they have been busy and are going to launch the NvidiaCoin which requires a 12GB RTX card?

ETH only just breached the 4Gb requirement, it would take ages to hit 8Gb IIRC. About 2027 or something like that (assuming it kept going and no PoS).

Caporegime
No surprise 8gb is struggling. Lol worthy the people who thought they were 4k gaming cards for the future, of course, if you're happy to drop settings then that's another matter.

Still 3070 is a great card at the Fe price especially if you want to experience ray tracing and have access to dlss :cool:

Caporegime
Ooh another memory heavy game

25gb memory used at 4k with RTX GI.

with RTX GI off memory usage drops by 10gb!

Yup heaviest game on RAM I have seen so far.

It is a bit heavy on vram too, well, in the options it has a shader option to use more vram for draw distance if you choose too, default setting is 4GB.

RTX GI is stunning in this. They need to get DX 12 optimised/fixed though as dx 11 runs much better even when RT is turned off in dx 12.

Soldato
Hopefully some tech reviewers give us some new benchmarks, consumers are still using release day benchmarks of the 6700xt Vs matured 3070... Sigh

Some well known green bloods were championing such claims. We all know its much tighter than that and #finewine drivers will surpass it eventually. Unfortunately these cards should not be above £500.

Soldato
Hopefully some tech reviewers give us some new benchmarks, consumers are still using release day benchmarks of the 6700xt Vs matured 3070... Sigh

That's the price AMD pays for not releasing working drivers on day 1 that unlock full performance of the hardware.

That being said, Hardware Unboxed do occasionally re do GPU comparisons for that reason, but they are one of the only tech sites that do so - it's a hell of a lot of work to redo thousands of GPu benchmark runs every other month because AMD is fixing stuff

Caporegime
Loads of us thought at the time (and still do) that it was a typical nV dick move to cheap out on VRAM.

Wow £1100 for a 2nd-hand 3060Ti. Crazy town.

Between that and my Vega 56 in another machine, I'm obviously sitting on a gold mine :p Not selling mine tho - don't care what I could get for it. Would rather deny the miners the opportunity and sell them on to a gamer in a couple years (for much less).

Soldato
The fact that Nvidia are releasing a last Gen card with 12gb vram speaks volumes. Surely they should just use the same fab space for newer Gen cards? 3050?

Back
Top Bottom