• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is 8GB of Vram enough for the 3070

Soldato
The fact that Nvidia are releasing a last Gen card with 12gb vram speaks volumes. Surely they should just use the same fab space for newer Gen cards? 3050?
That wouldn't be possible given that the 2060 uses TSMC 12nm, whilst Ampere is on Samsung 8nm. The biggest advantage for Nvidia is that these aren't in any way competing for capacity on the same node (or even at the same foundry) as the higher-end, higher-margin SKUs, whilst the low-end Ampere chips will be.

Caporegime
Some well known green bloods were championing such claims. We all know its much tighter than that and #finewine drivers will surpass it eventually. Unfortunately these cards should not be above £500.

Given ray tracing and dlss (which whether people like it or not is being added to almost every game coming out these days), I don't think nvidia cards will age as badly this time round given that a 3070 in any title with somewhat intensive RT turned on matches/surpasses a 6900xt..... We have already seen several titles where AMD cards are having to sacrifice RT settings because of the lack of grunt for it and/or no FSR implementation to take advantage of.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Given ray tracing and dlss (which whether people like it or not is being added to almost every game coming out these days), I don't think nvidia cards will age as badly this time round given that a 3070 in any title with somewhat intensive RT turned on matches/surpasses a 6900xt..... We have already seen several titles where AMD cards are having to sacrifice RT settings because of the lack of grunt for it and/or no FSR implementation to take advantage of.

Point taken on the dlss, but I'm sure I have pointed that out on other threads too, albeit on lower resolutions yes (I think it was regarding a 4k discussion but applies still where it bails out the lack of grunt needed). I myself am not a RT nut, its great if it doesn't impact performance but we all know if implemented fully it will bring hardware to its knees currently which is why its danced about from current devs, will be interesting to see a title released where the game bakes it in from the ground up so there are no excuses for having poor menu choices which actually scale properly.

Caporegime
Point taken on the dlss, but I'm sure I have pointed that out on other threads too, albeit on lower resolutions yes (I think it was regarding a 4k discussion but applies still where it bails out the lack of grunt needed). I myself am not a RT nut, its great if it doesn't impact performance but we all know if implemented fully it will bring hardware to its knees currently which is why its danced about from current devs, will be interesting to see a title released where the game bakes it in from the ground up so there are no excuses for having poor menu choices which actually scale properly.

See metro exodus enhanced although still held back considerably. AMD tbf hold up pretty well in that, it was/is the hairworks, which really killed the performance for them and of course not having access to DLSS/FSR implementation didn't help matters at all.....

Ubis/massive avatar game shall be an interesting one.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
See metro exodus enhanced although still held back considerably. AMD tbf hold up pretty well in that, it was/is the hairworks, which really killed the performance for them and of course not having access to DLSS/FSR implementation didn't help matters at all.....

Ubis/massive avatar game shall be an interesting one.

Yes not normally a fan of these big franchises - yet I have played Valhalla and FC6 but they can shove the £50 release prices where the sun dont shine! :)

Associate
I don't think nvidia cards will age as badly this time round given that a 3070 in any title with somewhat intensive RT turned on matches/surpasses a 6900xt.....
In theory they should age much better because they are built like the older AMD cards while Big Navi is built like the older Nvidia cards.
The problem is that the AMD drivers are not so great when the cards are first released so they are improving a lot with time. If you check right now the timespy/timespy extreme scores you will see the 6800xt is ahead even at 4k and it has a huge lead on 1440p while on release the 3080 was ahead at 1440p and well ahead at 4k. So it looks like most of the "fine wine" comes from AMD bad drivers when cards are first released.
But i don't think there is any chance to see Ampere being surpassed in RT titles. As bad as AMD drivers were on release, i don't think new drivers can add extra hardware for RT on Big Navi cards. :D
Edit: now i see the 6800xt is well ahead the 3070 in Port Royal so it looks like the RT perf has also improved a lot with time. But there is no chance for the 6800xt to reach the 3080 level of RT performance.

Soldato
Loads of us thought at the time (and still do) that it was a typical nV dick move to cheap out on VRAM.

Wow £1100 for a 2nd-hand 3060Ti. Crazy town.

Between that and my Vega 56 in another machine, I'm obviously sitting on a gold mine :p Not selling mine tho - don't care what I could get for it. Would rather deny the miners the opportunity and sell them on to a gamer in a couple years (for much less).

It definitely was a dick move.

I didn't expect to get £1100 for it tbh. Maybe £1000.

Respect for not cashing in, but I bought it in good faith to play games, I played games with it, sold it to a miner. So, I profteered from a miner. I did sell my V56 to a gamer a year ago for much less than I could got for it, if i'd have hoarded it.

Associate
Nvidia wants people to believe 8GB VRAM is enough while at the same time trying to sell you upgraded models :D, talk about wanting to have your cake and eat it.

Soldato
Nvidia wants people to believe 8GB VRAM is enough while at the same time trying to sell you upgraded models :D, talk about wanting to have your cake and eat it.

As predicted a year ago by many.

Hi valued customer,

Here are the cards we should have sold you a year ago! Click to buy now!

Love Nvidia x

:cry:

Associate
nothing new from nvidia, thats why they make so much damn money, because people buy gpus like there going out of fashion!! every release when its not required...
they no damn well they can now get away with it.

Soldato
I assume people have seen this?
Will it be a stop-gap until 4000 series emerge?

New Filing Hints at a Memory Upgrade for RTX 3080 and RTX 3070 Ti | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)
assuming that miners don't get their hands on the fabled graphics card first.
Good luck with that! But yeah I too recall some saying that "you just can't slap on more vram".
Be interesting if this is actually true though. Still a rumor IMO. But if true I believe this will be on a limited run.

Soldato
Ooh another memory heavy game

25gb memory used at 4k with RTX GI.

with RTX GI off memory usage drops by 10gb!
I'm actually impressed. That is some nice lighting. I wonder how they do the foliage. Did they opt for modelling the vegetation or are they using alpha maps with tricks to maintain performance.

Back
Top Bottom