2gb to 4gb?

Soldato
just plain silly if you ask me - 2gb is plenty at present

Will also probably play havoc with your overclocking ability and more pressure on the onboard mem controller

ob1

ob1

Associate
If it was me I would have put it towards an asus 805 rig with more power regulators then an electricity substation and/or sold the old ram for some 1000mhz stuff

ob1

ob1

Associate
lol you've ignored us, 4gb wont mean anything faster then 2gb to you. It might even be slower due to greater load on the memory controller.
Press ctrl alt del and see what the most memory you've used since you started the computer, its in the bottom left. commit charge - peak

Mine says 1205848 but then I have set the disk cache to take 1gig if it wants with a 476 meg ramdrive, neither of which made windows that much faster at all.

Heres 1ghz ram, its DDR2
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Patriot_Memory.html
More then 3x expensive but over 4x faster & quality > quanity

Associate
Wish I had 4gig... well more than 2 gig anyway.

My PC max's out due to 2 application servers running locally, couple of java IDEs and Lotus Notes etc

Soldato
OP
whoa 4 gigs of ram is very good. memtest passed fine and all my timings and overclock is unaffected. windows seems to be a bit snappier. glad i went for the 4 gigs afterall.

4gig.png

kbc

kbc

Associate
Cyber-Mav said:
whoa 4 gigs of ram is very good. memtest passed fine and all my timings and overclock is unaffected. windows seems to be a bit snappier. glad i went for the 4 gigs afterall.

4gig.png

I'd like to see some benchmarks on a system with 2GB and 4GB. If you have Everest, there are a few memory benchmarks worth experimenting with.

Soldato
OP
can do. but i guess they will be the same as my 2 gig setup since the timings were the same and the command rate was always 2t since this board is fussy about running 1t.

i doubt there is a benchmark that will show the advantage of 4gig over 2gig.

actually those database server tests that anandtech usually run will show a huge benefit to the extra memory.

ob1

ob1

Associate
3dmark06 might show some advantage.

The BF2 directory is only 2.2gig so you could put that all in memory now and see if you can load a map in 10 seconds :D

ob1

ob1

Associate
I did wonder if you had any problems, so 32 bit was not an option then.

Theres a vista beta out, that takes 500 meg just to load unoptimised

Caporegime
ob1 said:
3dmark06 might show some advantage.

The BF2 directory is only 2.2gig so you could put that all in memory now and see if you can load a map in 10 seconds :D

I highly doubt you'd see any boost in 3DMark 06, I've not heard of any game or demo breaking 2Gbs memory usage.

Caporegime
ob1 said:
Having more main memory and using high textures in bf2 seemed to improve my fps, an illusion?

Its stopped you having to page to disk, which is what caused the slowdown. With 2Gb you don't page to disk at all, so with 4gb you'll see no benefit.

Back
Top Bottom