Asus P5Q-E (P45) Motherboard Review

Cheers Big Wayne - I'm working a night shift at the moment (I'm just on a break but I'll post the pics on the builds threads once I'm home)

Would like to see the bigger pics too mate!

And erm, Tuniq looks square to start with then grows a bit of a wonk towards the latter pics? Is it ok?

Ive just finished my build based around The P5q deluxe,

cpu 8400

at idle the core temps are 25 / 32 under load orthos 52 /54

Why such a large variation at idle, have i done something wrong, this is my first build.

Ill upload some images in the build thread whe i can down size them

Thanks

Bowza

Something strange happened a few minutes ago.

I went to turn off the PC and clicked sleep instead of shut down by mistake. I then moved the mouse to get it to wake up but nothing happened. I then clicked the mouse and the PC restarted. Then i was given the option of entering the bios or resetting it to default, WTF?

Ive not overclocked it yet, just changed the ram voltage to 2.0v from 1.8v.

It seems to stop just before windows loads now for a few seconds as well.

Anyone else had anything similar happen?

@bowza - are you sure that there are not some processes running when 'idle'. I know that when my PC is sitting 'idle', there are actually quite a few things running, and i would imagine these would load up one core and increase the temps. It looks as though the HSF is seated correctly from the load temps, so i wouldnt worry.

@mark - accidentally clicking sleep is damn annoying! Fortunately i have not done it on this PC... yet. Are you using the letest BIOS - this seems like the sort of problem a BIOS update could fix. Have you made sure you have enabled all of the energy saving features like c1eist (or something...). I have a feeling this enables the enhanced halt state of sleep (although i may be wrong).

3.3 OC Too Hot

I've decided to drop my OC back as it is getting too hot for my liking (especially in Prime95 blend). I would be happy with 3.0 - seems to run STALKER with no noticeable fps drop (can't wait for Clear Sky's to arrive)

I may be tempted in the future to lap the CPU to reduce temps - would it also be worth lapping the Tunique Tower or are they generally well made? (it seems flat to the untrained eye).

Another question regarding this - if I did decide to lap the CPU and then at a later date decided to go with watercooling would this cause any problems???(mixing copper+water).

RAM compatibility fixes and EPP profile recognition, I believe.

For sure. I couldn't boot with 400FB (regardless of mulitplier) with 4x2GB Corsair PC2-6400C5. Updating to BIOS 1306 from 1201 fixed this issue for me. I really should've noticed the incorrect (slightly) SPD readings.

For the first time in a build I am using IntelBurnTest instead of Prime95 for stability testing. Although I get a lot higher temps, it seems a better and quicker way to stability test.

This does mean though I've hit my thermal limit during testing a lot quicker than I would've with Prime95.

For everyday use I've decided to go with:
  • 3.2GHz
  • Multiplier: 8.0
  • FSB: 400
  • DDR2-801 (FSB Strap to NB: Auto) - for some reason this is more stable than a manual setting of 800Mhz (FSB Strap to NB: 400)
  • MEM. OC Charger: Disabled
  • Ai Clock Twister: Lighter
  • CPU Voltage: 1.2850v (1.288v under load)
  • CPU PLL Voltage: 1.52v
  • FSB Termination Voltage: 1.22v
  • DRAM Voltage: 1.80v
  • NB Voltage: 1.12v
  • All other settings: auto/default
With the above settings I was able to run IntelBurnTest on the maximum stress setting for 10 loops (total time just over an hour) without error. Temps would hit a maximum of 65-70c and idle 34-38c

I did take it up as far as 3.6GHz but the temps were not to my liking under IntelBurnTest although it did seem stable.

Last edited:
When running Prime 95...

When running Prime 95 what is an acceptable temperature..

Im currently running Blend (settings - Volts 1.288 / CPU @ 3014 (9x334.9))
Temps in Speedfan show as :

System - 34C
CPU - 35C
AUX - 23C
Core0 - 62C
Core1 - 60C
Core2 - 54C
Core3 - 54C

Im upto test3 and temps seem to be stable is this ok or does the Tuniq need the Artic Silver reapplying??

Watercooling

Cheers Cob - I should have realised the waterblock holds the water - thats good news - I'm off for 7 days next week so I can feel a lapping project on the cards.

Update on my Priming...

Im upto Test8 on blend Temps:
Sys - 35
CPU - 38
AUX 22
Core0 66
Core1 65
Core2 57
Core3 57

Im still using 803 - havent bothered updating. Everything works fine for me, and i am a firm believer in 'if it aint broke, dont fix it' when it comes to computers!

Im still using 803 - havent bothered updating. Everything works fine for me, and i am a firm believer in 'if it aint broke, dont fix it' when it comes to computers!

likewise chrissy i'm using 803 atm .. not noticed any huge problems as of yet but i was thinking about updating bios .. might not bother i'm not sure yet tbh

For sure. I couldn't boot with 400FB (regardless of mulitplier) with 4x2GB Corsair PC2-6400C5. Updating to BIOS 1306 from 1201 fixed this issue for me. I really should've noticed the incorrect (slightly) SPD readings.

For the first time in a build I am using IntelBurnTest instead of Prime95 for stability testing. Although I get a lot higher temps, it seems a better and quicker way to stability test.

This does mean though I've hit my thermal limit during testing a lot quicker than I would've with Prime95.

For everyday use I've decided to go with:
  • 3.2GHz
  • Multiplier: 8.0
  • FSB: 400
  • DDR2-801 (FSB Strap to NB: Auto) - for some reason this is more stable than a manual setting of 800Mhz (FSB Strap to NB: 400)
  • MEM. OC Charger: Disabled
  • Ai Clock Twister: Lighter
  • CPU Voltage: 1.2850v (1.288v under load)
  • CPU PLL Voltage: 1.52v
  • FSB Termination Voltage: 1.22v
  • DRAM Voltage: 1.80v
  • NB Voltage: 1.12v
  • All other settings: auto/default
With the above settings I was able to run IntelBurnTest on the maximum stress setting for 10 loops (total time just over an hour) without error. Temps would hit a maximum of 65-70c and idle 34-38c

I did take it up as far as 3.6GHz but the temps were not to my liking under IntelBurnTest although it did seem stable.

I just noticed in your sig you are using a P5Q Deluxe. I thought the 1306 BIOS is for P5Q-E only? Or is it for both?

I might give it a try anyway because of a couple of little problems with Ballistix modules.

Back
Top Bottom