Asus P5Q-E (P45) Motherboard Review

Something strange happened a few minutes ago.

I went to turn off the PC and clicked sleep instead of shut down by mistake. I then moved the mouse to get it to wake up but nothing happened. I then clicked the mouse and the PC restarted. Then i was given the option of entering the bios or resetting it to default, WTF?

Ive not overclocked it yet, just changed the ram voltage to 2.0v from 1.8v.

It seems to stop just before windows loads now for a few seconds as well.

Anyone else had anything similar happen?

I had exactly the same problem here. P5Q-E, bios 1201, vista x64.

please someone tell me how i can lower tha fan speed on my P5Q-E. disabling q fan didn't work .. when i change settings in speedfan or in asus fan expert nothing happens and the fans are no quieter :S

I run mine via asus ai suite with no problems, two 3pin case fans and two 4 pin pwm fans daisy chained to the cpu header on my TRUE 120. Q fan enabled in the bios for both cpu and case fans. I think to use speedfan q fan has to be disabled in the bios.

P5Q BIOS V1004 safe ???

Hi people

is the P5Q BIOS V1004 safe to use or would you recomend another ?

also which drivers on a new install ?

Thank you

stone

heres some of my build pics i finally got round to uploading
DSC00251.jpg

DSC00258.jpg

DSC00259.jpg

DSC00265.jpg

wires are a lot tidier now
still waiting for my new case so im making do

going to put a q6600 in it tomorrow

Hi guys,

Ive been having some issues with an e8600 E0 running in an Asus P5Q-e motherboard.

I just went to ASUS site and checked which boards they do that support the e8600 and none of the p5q range was listed.

have I gone mad and done this search wrong?
Can anyone confirm the p5q-e supports the 8600 E0?

Cheers
Dam

please someone tell me how i can lower tha fan speed on my P5Q-E. disabling q fan didn't work .. when i change settings in speedfan or in asus fan expert nothing happens and the fans are no quieter :S
Have a read of your manual and find out which fan-headers have Q-Fan function as not all of them do.

I know the answer to something at last.

On the p5q-e that I have, Chasis fans 1, 2 and 3 are changeable using q-fan.

Pwr-fan is not supported by qfan.

So i wired up my 3 chassis fans to the cha1,2,3 headers and then enabled q-fan. set it to "silent" and it dropped the rpm of all 3 to around 800rpm

however if i plug one of my top mounted yate loons into pwr-fan it spins up pretty fast (sounds like at least 1500 maybee)

Hope that helps.

Cup-fan is obviously for your cpu-fan! (but i have a 3 pin tuniq plugged into that 4 pin connector so i control it from tuniqs dial on the back of the pc).

Dam

Hi Cob,

Im having some confusing issues.

The primary one is the issue in the thread i have in the CPU section.
I posted my stock, non OC'd voltages and coretemps and everyone has commented that the core volts are too low.

Most people seem to think its becasue SpeedStep is enabled.
however ive been into the bios are where it is supposed to be (Advanced>CPU settings) and it is simply not there.

My lastest adventure would now appear to be flashing the bios. The bios revision im running is 0605 which is about the earliest there is.

Ive just downloaded the latest bios for this mobo and saved it onto a flash drive.

i am however very nervous of flashing the bios becasue my mate did this 6 months ago and borked his entire mobo and then was unable to RMA to OCUK.

Dam

Yip it's a great idea to get off the original BIOS. It wasn't very good. And flashing from a USB drive is quite safe. Just do it from within the BIOS rather than with the Windows app.

You can disable Speedstep by manually setting the multiplier and disabling C1E Support in the Configure Advanced CPU Settings menu.

What cooler is that?

its a thermaltake V1
its not too bad to be honest - i only got it because it was a lot cheaper than the TRUE and offers similar performance in most revies i could find
the contact plate is very flat - was going to lap it but it doesnt need it

i run it on medium fan speed - its not noisy unless you turn it right up but there is only a small drop in temp [1-2'c] so the extra noise isnt worth it tbh

i had been using it a while with my amd 4800 X2 - only thing i dont like about it is the blue leds on the fan and the intel standard pushpins [plastic 775 type]

moving to custom water once i can actually buy my new case in the uk

going to run the V1 on my new q6600 and see how it goes though

Last edited:
Hi cob,

ive just flased the P5Q-E with the latest bios using, as you said, the flash drive.

After a bit of a scare (me being daft) it all worked fine.

hey presto - speedstep has now appeared in the advanced>CPU settings menu.

ive now disabled it....

however i still have some questions which ive posted in my thread over on the CPU forum. which i just noticed you replied to so ill go over there and see what you wrote!

Dam

Anybody else having an initial blip on first power up?

When I start my system it sort of powers up (the fans spin up) then turns off (fans switch off) and then a short delay later it fires up again (fans spin up) and then starts. Been through all the BIOS options but can't see what may have caused this, am on BIOS 0803.

Back
Top Bottom