***HTC Magic Thread***

What can of worms? I didn't go through any hoops to get ADB working, just downloaded it, used the bundled drivers and it just worked.

Edit*
Win7 x64 btw too.

Last edited:
Something weird is up. I tried the new terminal app and it gives me an error when I do "mount -a" after doing an "su". Says something doesn't exist. Looks like the renaming of the recovery file to recovery.img, placing it in /data on the card and then doing a full reboot followed by a recovery reboot isn't working. I keep getting the old recovery GUI that.

Going to post in the Amon Ra thread and see what I get from there. :)

Could you quote the error you have received? If the mount has failed then something is up with the memory card, or you may have typed something not quite right?

Personally I use adb as I am osx user and just makes it easier. No fighting with keyboard/numbers not appearing and any other woes that come from the old emulators I had tried. I am sure they have improved now though, but am happy with adb :)

What can of worms? I didn't go through any hoops to get ADB working, just downloaded it, used the bundled drivers and it just worked.

Edit*
Win7 x64 btw too.

You are one of the lucky ones. So was I but you will find that 99% of users have driver issues and they are not due to not following the instructions but due to strange anomolies in widnows USB functionality.

just google ADB no devices found.

My point was (which was stated very clearly by the 3 quotations) that you suggested ADB, I then mentioned the can of worms (referring to above) and then Marclister reeled off the exact can of worms I was referring to about no devices and using USBdview.

That was all. I only mentioned it thinking you were familiar. You do hang out on XDA after all

Last edited:
Well considering many people seem to have endless problems updating a Cyan rom each time it has a new version I guess anything can happen.

Either the people in this thread who have rooted and installed Cyanogen have been disproportionally lucky, compared to those who post in the XDA CyanogenMod thread, or we can all follow simple instructions and get over minor technical hitches.

Could you quote the error you have received? If the mount has failed then something is up with the memory card,
I'll try it now. :)

The error message is
Code:
mount: mounting /dev/block/mmcb1k0p2 on system/sd failed: No such file or directory

or you may have typed something not quite right?
Yeah, right. :D Get real! :p Me? Mistakes? :o

Last edited:
It's true. We're all a cut above on here. All rounder geeks rather than mobile device obsessives I reckon.
:cool:

You didn't type su first did you
Yep. Wasn't I meant to? :confused:

ML, try doing what this post says, this is how I originally flashed amon-ra. I never had to use mount. Don't forget the space between recovery /sdcard

#flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-magic-v1.2.3G.img

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=4714205&postcount=488
I'll try it now.

Also don't forget to change the numbers to the version you downloaded :p
I took the numbers out because of the keyboard issue I saw somewhere on XDA. :)

yes you are supposed to su. I thought maybe you hadn't.

One problem may occur if you don't have filetype extensions eneabled in windows and rename the recovery with .img at the end. you would then need to do:

Flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img.img

Nah what i mean?

I also got the mount error when I tried it, but I just ignored it and carried on :p

My SD card has just been despatched, a nice 8Gb Class 6 card, so my next questions:

What partition sizes do I need/want, from what I can tell I'll want 3 - an ext4 partition for apps2sd (~512Mb?), a swap partition (seems anything from 32 to 96Mb is mentioned) and a fat32 partition for <stuff>?

And is it ok to just copy whats currently on my sd card onto the new one (once it's partitioned)?

Is it easier to partition in amon ra, or I've got an xubuntu vm at work that should/may be able to access my memory card reader so could use that?

Amon Ra's recovery makes it so easy to partition your sdcard. You just have to set the ext size, the swap size and the rest is done as fat32. I did mine before amon ra included this in his recovery using adb and the sdparted script (this script is used in amon ra's recovery I believe).

512mb ext4 96mb swap and the rest fat32.

Last edited:
Amon Ra's recovery makes it so easy to partition your sdcard. You just have to set the ext size, the swap size and the rest is done as fat32. I did mine before amon ra included this in his recovery using abd and the sdparted script (this script is used in amon ra's recovery I believe).

512mb ext4 96mb swap and the rest fat32.
Unless installing Cyanogen's ROM set me up a swap I've not got one. :o:D

I'll have a look in Amon Ra's recovery later and see if I can find out if I've got one or not and set one up if I haven't. :)

Back
Top Bottom