***HTC Magic Thread***

good to go then mate. Assuming you are rooted and have a recovery such as amon ra?

Just boot into recovery, flash the zip (mytouch 1.0 version), reboot when asked and wait. Then reboot again and be patient. Done.

Let me know if it solves your basement issue.
Haven't got Amon Ra's recovery but the Cyanogen one if that makes sense?

Btw what exactly is this update doing? Increasing the throughput for the reception or better coding for the programming behind it?

Cyanogen recovery is fine although I reccommend flashing amon ra at some point as it's better.

I'm not sure how it works. think of it as new firmware for the wireless elements of your phone. I read somewhere that it's been OTA'd to T-mobile customers as it will work with their new 21mbps HSDPA+ service. Just do it, it works.

Last edited:
Cyanogen recovery is fine although I reccommend flashing amon ra at some point as it's better.
Have been meaning to do this for a while. Will have a search through the thread for a guide on how to do this. :)

I'm not sure how it works. think of it as new firmware for the wireless elements of your phone. I read somewhere that it's been OTA'd to T-mobile customers as it will work with their new 21mbps HSDPA+ service.
Cheers.

Just do it, it works.
Haha, one works for Nike as a brand consultant? :p

I've just checked and there's a new Amon Ra (v 1.6.2) so I've got the G and H versions of that. Do I use the G version? I assume I do as I have 1.5.2G on my computer from ages ago.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=530492

Instead of the terminal method I was thinking of trying:

via a simple reboot -> Requires Cyanogen or my RA ROM (other ROMs will probably work too, check init.rc where to put the recovery.img)
Code:
Code:
Rename recovery-RA-sapphire-v1.6.2H.img to recovery.img
Copy recovery.img to /data
Reboot fully (the recovery will be flashed automatically)
Reboot to recovery

Would that work?

Not Essential to upgrade the memory card, but if you plan on installing swap etc then I would do so. Also if you plan to put apps on the memory you may as well get a faster, bigger one for the £10-20 it costs.

Is it recommended that I invest in a new bigger memory card before installing a custom ROM etc etc?

If you install a custom ROM it is usually recommended thay you partition the memory card with 96-128mb for the Swap and 512mb for the EXT 4. the remainder would still be plenty on even a 2gb card so the answer is NO :)

Not Essential to upgrade the memory card, but if you plan on installing swap etc then I would do so. Also if you plan to put apps on the memory you may as well get a faster, bigger one for the £10-20 it costs.
What he said. Not essential but for the low price/higher capacity of SD card than the Magic gets bundled with you might as well. :)

has anyone here switched from a class 4 SD to a class 6? Does it make an obvious difference with swap and ext 4 and make the phone smoother and snappier?

I'm currently using a class 4 8gb and wondering if it's worth the upgrade?

I have a class 6 8gb and notice the difference over my old 4gb class somethingorother.

I also noticed a difference once I got a swap partition running. Though, like everythig like this, I do sometimes wonder if I imagine the difference or it is actually there. My mind likes to **** with me.

Regarding Amon Ra, I put the recovery.img in /data and then rebooted. How do I reboot to recovery again? Is it the red phone button and the back button at the same time? :confused::o

I might find a better Terminal app than the one I've got right now. I can't get that to work. :(

Well the new radio is definitely on there; I booted into recovery and the radio numbers have changed. I think it is a bit better, perhaps 2 bars more solidly than 1 bar. Might still get the Vodafone Sure Signal so I get full bars. :p

Not entirely sure I've got the Amon Ra on there yet. :D I couldn't get the terminal method to work because whenever I put the phone landscape wise to make it easier to type accurately the app crashes. What terminal app are people using? I did try the simple reboot method I posted earlier but I'm not sure that worked at all. Anyway to tell without rebooting?

I use 'Better Terminal Emulator', it costs but it's good and works far better than the basic terminal in Cyanogen's roms :)

How do you upgrade to Amon Ra's recovery? Is it simply a case of downloading the zip and flashing it like other updates or is it more involved?

Thinking I'm gonna get a class 6 8Gb card and actually setup a swap etc, atm I'm just using the 2Gb class 2 card, without swap/ext4 partitions...

Back
Top Bottom