** The Official WWDC 2010 Thread **

About the only big phone that will be competing with the iphone that has it is the Evo 4G.

But guess what, currently the Evo 4G doesnt have a video calling app, and requires a 3rd party app to do it, which hasnt exactly been smooth at launch

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/07/qik-admits-evo-4g-launch-problems-after-20x-increase-on-server-d/

What about the Samsung Galaxy S, I would say that phone has the iPhone specs matched very well. As my current omnia HD has video calling I would be very surprised if the galaxy S does not.

Also if you can only video call over WIFI to another 4, then that is not exactly universal video calling.

I think it comes down to preference

As an apple fan, i see nothing on the Evo 4 G / Desire to tempt me away from Iphone apart from the freedom that comes with android phones to hack it about.

But its not something id use and prefer apples simplicity.

I think ultimately its a sign that neither is significantly better than the other to tempt people out of one camp into the other.

I dont use a single website that forces you to use flash. Most sites now have an iphone specific version of the site that doesnt use flash - like iplayer.

What website could you 100 % not do without that needs flash ?

I dont use a single website that forces you to use flash. Most sites now have an iphone specific version of the site that doesnt use flash - like iplayer.

What website could you 100 % not do without that needs flash ?

NHL.COM has all the highlight videos up from last nights games (love NHL).

Also you cant access and watch videos on the bbc website for example. It just seems like Apple has had a sulk and wont incoporate flash into the device and so everyone has to make a special version for them. It would be nice to access all sites without having to worry about the site not working, or trying to find a specific version to work on my phone.

NHL.COM has all the highlight videos up from last nights games (love NHL).

Also you cant access and watch videos on the bbc website for example. It just seems like Apple has had a sulk and wont incoporate flash into the device and so everyone has to make a special version for them. It would be nice to access all sites without having to worry about the site not working, or trying to find a specific version to work on my phone.

Which is why they are pushing HTML5...

They want you to load a browser, and not have to worry about plugins or separate installers (flash etc).

It's the BBCs fault that they don't put all the videos on iPlayer. It annoys me as I like to watch the F1 forum which doesn't get put up :mad:

But that is only one example, most sites have an element of flash in them somewhere. Especially if the site includes videos.

Most being ads, which I'm pretty sure no one will complain about missing, the rest will be video which can be easily updated to make use of HTML5. And I'm pretty sure a majority of sites will start doing that.

The only place I miss flash is as you said, BBC on my ipad if i want to watch a video on the article. Apart from that i've not even really ran into any 'blue lego blocks'

The problem with Apples one is that it only works 4g to 4g and only over Wifi, personally Id rather use an app i can use any where to talk to other phones or straight onto the web.

If you saw the details of the Keynote, Jobs said that they would be making this an 'open format', meaning that other people could develop the standard. Therefore, you should eventually be able to call other types of phones and more than likely Skype will update their iphone app to work with it. With the multi-tasking of the new os, you could possibly always have Skype on in the background.

As others have pointed out also, most people are likely to upgrade to the iPhone 4. I mean, already now, most people I know own an iPhone. The only ones who don't tend to be people who have Blackberrys through work or have a real thing against Apple and so go for the competition.

** WWDC 2010 - Day One Re-Cap **

167tj40.jpg

** WWDC 2010 - Day One Re-Cap **

• WWDC 2010 Announcements
  • 100,000,000 iOS Devices Sold
  • 5 Billion Apps Downloaded
  • 2 Million iPads Sold (1 Sold every Three Seconds!)
  • 8500 iPad Apps currently available
  • 225,000 Apps currently available on the App Store
  • $1 Billion paid out to App Developers
  • 15,000 App Submissions per week with 97% approved within 7 days!
  • 150 million credit card accounts between iTunes, App Store, and iBookstore
  • iAds are projected to represent 48% of the mobile advertising market in the second half of 2010.

• iPhone 4 Announced
c2lg4.jpg

• New Design
  • Front facing camera (VGA) (For use with "FaceTime")
  • Rear Camera - 5 MP, 1.75 Micron, with LED Flash (Able to record 720p video at 30fps)
  • Dual mics for noise cancelation
  • Uses MicroSims
  • Uses Stainless Steel around the phone - Doubles up as an Antennae
  • Announced as the "Thinest Smartphone Ever"
  • Uses Optical Quality, Scratch-Resistant Glass (On Front & Rear)
  • Retina Display - 960x640 at 3.5" for 326dpi (300dpi is maximum the human eye can see!). 800:1 Contrast Ratio. IPS for wide-angle viewing