** The Official WWDC 2010 Thread **

Apples keystone has always been functionality that works, right out of the box. None of the android / windows mobile phones will do video calling out of the box, and even if you do find a phone with a front facing cam, and download an app to do video calling, you can bet it will be a while before it feels as polished as apples does.

I am pretty sure that my windows smartphone from a few years back would do video calling straight from the box, heck even my Symbian based phone does it. All the videos I have seen of Android 2.2 show video calls working OK also.

Just a quick shot to show how busy it was, this was about a 1/8 of everyone here! :eek:

EDIT - Will re upload, internet in the hotel is atrocious!

Last edited:
Seriously mate, some of what you've posted is just mind boggling.

I currently own a Nexus One so I'm far from a fan boy...but what else are you expecting? Are you expecting them to magic new non-existent technology that we'll probably see 6-12 months down the line?

As far as I'm aware the screen is double the res...how is that a small upgrade?

How is going from a 500 ish mhz to probably a 1ghz dual core a small upgrade?

The res on the Nexus is 252 DPI and the 4G is 326, and as Jobbie said the eye can only see upto 300DPI then i dont think its huge improvement over the Nexus, its a big jump over the 3G though.
The A4 is a CPU/GPU hybrid so its a single core CPU with a GPU, a bit like the nvidia tegra chip.

i'm not so sure i agree.

No other software / hardware provider have such a polished integrated solution.

Apples keystone has always been functionality that works, right out of the box. None of the android / windows mobile phones will do video calling out of the box, and even if you do find a phone with a front facing cam, and download an app to do video calling, you can bet it will be a while before it feels as polished as apples does.

The problem with Apples one is that it only works 4g to 4g and only over Wifi, personally Id rather use an app i can use any where to talk to other phones or straight onto the web.

The Wifi thing, again will be down to AT&T not being able to take teh network strain Im willing to bet.

Id say it was more likely to do with the fact that just about everyone in the Moscone Centre was trying to use the wifi at once to blog and such etc

Id say it was more likely to do with the fact that just about everyone in the Moscone Centre was trying to use the wifi at once to blog and such etc

Sorry bad quote, I was thinking about the face to face calling only being WiFi only, I wonder how much of that is due to At&T, being, well, rubbish.

But on that subject, be interesting to see how the Vid is edited after the side by side comparision WiFi fail, good to know they do actually run them in real time tho.

The Wifi thing, again will be down to AT&T not being able to take teh network strain Im willing to bet.

Its more likely down to the format and quality that apple chose to capture the video in.

The older phones used that .3gp format, which from my experience has always been low quality. I seriously doubt apple will be using it when they invest in H.264 so heavily which is what I'm banking on it is.

The amount of upstream you get on 3g is still relatively low, and apple is all about the use experience.

Its more likely down to the format and quality that apple chose to capture the video in.

The older phones used that .3gp format, which from my experience has always been low quality. I seriously doubt apple will be using it when they invest in H.264 so heavily which is what I'm banking on it is.

Thats what I wondered, even in the cheesy feature Vid it seemed very very high quality, even if a little blurred under fast movements.

I am pretty sure that my windows smartphone from a few years back would do video calling straight from the box, heck even my Symbian based phone does it. All the videos I have seen of Android 2.2 show video calls working OK also.

Ok lets look at the major players in the sales chart at the minute

HTC Desire ? no. Nexus one ? no Palm Pre ? no Sony X10 ? no.

About the only big phone that will be competing with the iphone that has it is the Evo 4G.

But guess what, currently the Evo 4G doesnt have a video calling app, and requires a 3rd party app to do it, which hasnt exactly been smooth at launch

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/07/qik-admits-evo-4g-launch-problems-after-20x-increase-on-server-d/

Last edited:
For me though, it's 100% useless as I would never, ever have a use for it. It's all fine and good for the phone to have it, but I'd hardly call it a bonus, or a reason to get the phone. Obviously for some people it may/will be far more useful, depends on the person/situation.

The thing is operators are going to be slow to increase speeds. To offer high speed mobile data transfer requires them to rollout high cost equipment nationwide. So regardless if Apple bring out a 4G phone or put video calling on it, the operator needs to make their money back.

Sorry bad quote, I was thinking about the face to face calling only being WiFi only, I wonder how much of that is due to At&T, being, well, rubbish.

But on that subject, be interesting to see how the Vid is edited after the side by side comparision WiFi fail, good to know they do actually run them in real time tho.

Yea I agree with that. Id imagine the current state of AT&Ts network wouldnt cope with video calls.

Back
Top Bottom