• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*****Official Ivybridge Review Thread*****

Associate
Production samples have a larger IGP section than the review engineering samples:

http://www.chip-architect.com/news/2012_04_19_Ivy_Bridges_GPU_2-25_times_Sandys.html

It might to improve yields of the IGP but I wonder if power consumption is also affected - but unless production and engineering samples are tested side by side it will be hard to say.

It seems IB is actually around 183MM2 as opposed to the 216MM2 of SB.

Ahhh, I was wondering why the ES were so much better than production. As you say, this looks like a fix for an issue encountered with IGP.

Seems two likely outcomes: either it's a temporary fix in order to meet the release date that will be fixed fully in later steppings with a consequent jump in o/c performance, or it'll have stay and the we'll only see smaller incremental improvements in the steppings.

Soldato
wheres the "lets show how good these CPUs are at overclocking" thread we normally get from Gibbo pre-release ? we've had it on previous launches pre-release, Nvidia GPUs, ATI GPUs, and I seem to remember the 2700k etc.

bad sign IMO ? I mean NDA is up for performance

Soldato
Gibbo probably wanted to overclock it.
All excited.
Hooked it all up.
Then thought, "hang on, this is the same as SB - its a waste of money upgrading to IB".

At the end of the day he is a salesman and his job is to create a buzz. But if the product is poor or offers nothing new over something which current exists, even a good salesman will struggle to create a buzz.

Soldato
I find that graph slightly hard to believe - load temp in what ? I thought the 3770k needed reasonable volts to get to 4.6 ? - confused

I don't doubt the power - but the tmps - not sure

Soldato
I believe that motherboards.org pic is at STOCK

if you notice - in the pre-bit it states the config and says the 3770k at stock and overclocked, the performance graphs show performance at stock and at 4.6 - the power/temp have no title - so I'm guessing at stock - otherwise it'd say overclocked

same temp at stock for 2600k and 3770k sounds right to me :)

Associate
That's interesting. If they are correct then it seems an odd choice by intel.

However, I still feel for the vast majority of users the overheating might just serve to stop people overvolting and killing CPUS. I think most people buying IVY would be happy with a low voltage 4.5ghz. Certainly for someone like myself I should see a huge leap in performance.

Soldato
As for the high voltages & heat issue, I am guessing that TIM heat conductivity may be efficient upto a certain voltage applied presumably low/mid voltage. At this point heat can be conducted away from CPU die in a seamless manner. So temperature increase is relatively modest.

However as cpu/core voltage is increased further beyond this point, you end up with far more heat accumulating at cpu die than that can be transferred by TIM. So temperatures just sky rocket at higher voltages.

Still it would seem that soldering of cpu die to IHS is more effective as it has higher heat conductivity as suggested by article. So this allows for higher voltages to be applied.

I am sure there is bound to be research somewhere that links voltage applied to heatsource area coupled with heat transfer/conductivity mechanisms.

Back
Top Bottom