Type R and VTEC owners

Soldato
I'm going to be an utter pain and ask annoying questions for a while:

Bored and fed up of my existing car (diseasal mondeo) being no fun to drive and massive repair bills looming and after much looking around I really fancy a CTR but I have a rather limited budget of 2 - 3k.

I've noticed a few CTR's popping up around here in that range (mostly 02 plates) and giving them some serious thought - any advice/tips etc?

Soldato

Bored and fed up of my existing car (diseasal mondeo) being no fun to drive and massive repair bills looming and after much looking around I really fancy a CTR but I have a rather limited budget of 2 - 3k.

I've noticed a few CTR's popping up around here in that range (mostly 02 plates) and giving them some serious thought - any advice/tips etc?

Should help you out :)

Caporegime

Be prepared to look at total dogs for a while :p

Soldato
Got an AB service coming up for my 2010 Insight ES. That's basically Oil + Filter Change and Inspection. How's £127 INC VAT at a main Honda Dealer and 15p a mile for a replacement car sound as far as pricing goes?

Soldato
Hopefully will have the new wheel next week.

They've had to take a bit longer on it due to a few issues and have never done the Honda Momo Wheel before. Looking forward to the results!

Also pretty much specced up the new audio system, just discussing some further amp servicing/upgrade details with Amp Doctor before purchasing all the parts.

It's going to be one expensive summer and then there's all the above costs to factor in :D:D:D

Caporegime
Hopefully will have the new wheel next week.

They've had to take a bit longer on it due to a few issues and have never done the Honda Momo Wheel before. Looking forward to the results!

Also pretty much specced up the new audio system, just discussing some further amp servicing/upgrade details with Amp Doctor before purchasing all the parts.

It's going to be one expensive summer and then there's all the above costs to factor in :D:D:D

what you going for?

Don
My ITR started having a weird hesitation yesterday when going 0-40mph, feel like it's going to stall (and did stall once)

When I'm at 50mph plus, it feels nice and solid.

Going to clean the PCV and order a new dizzy cap / rotor arm

Soldato
Fuel?

Mine felt a bit funny on scottish highland 95 when at lower speeds around traffic. Might have been a placebo effect though.

Fuel filter?

Don
I am running 97 Super at the moment. For about 15 fill ups I've been using Tesco 99. Had to fill up so used the other garage. My car ran fine for years on the same stuff, but I guess it could be a problem.

The dizzy cap etc is still on it's original one, at 92k now. So could probably do with replacing anyway. Fuel filter is about 10,000 miles / 2 years old Honda one

Soldato
what you going for?

Headunit: New Pioneer 80PRS - NOMNOMNOM :D
Amp: - Serviced and modified Genesis Profile 2 - 2x110W+ @4Ohm.
Speakers - New JBL MS62C 2-Way component speakers (rave review @ Talk audio), or I mgiht get some Morel Tempo 6.
Setup - New wiring and lots of treatment on the tin can integra doors with deadening sheets to seal up the door and either machined Stainless or MDF chamfered baffles.

I've also got an SPL meter from my home setp so I can play test tones and setup with the parametric equaliser on teh head unit.

I am running 97 Super at the moment. For about 15 fill ups I've been using Tesco 99. Had to fill up so used the other garage. My car ran fine for years on the same stuff, but I guess it could be a problem.

The dizzy cap etc is still on it's original one, at 92k now. So could probably do with replacing anyway. Fuel filter is about 10,000 miles / 2 years old Honda one

Hmm, I run on Sainsburys 97, no problem. Running on the random 95 felt worse.

Just keep an eye on it and see if it remains after filling up a number of times.

Could be dizzy, I think probe distributers do a complete new one for around £150, or the individual parts are cheaper, such as the rotor arm.

Soldato
good man, let us know how you get on with that sound deadening :D

Will do!

Going to get a proper kit for £80 giving 4sq m.

Just took the doorcard off this evening and I have a lot of cleaning the goop off and prepping the door for application. I'm going to start this weekend if the weather holds, but I reckon my install won't properly be done until mid July. Will do a full installation guide!

Actually looks like I might not fit the JBL mids in there. It's around 87mm from the lowered glass window to the rear of the doorcard and they are 78mm when not in use, so with cone movement it'l be hard to get them in there just right without fouling the moving cones/surround in use. Bah!

Soldato
Sound deadening a Type R?! Get out, get out now!

I know, I know!!!!!!

I've removed 5Kg of deadening from the rear seats and boot so their shouldn't be an increase with the extra in the front doors! But the larger speakers, amp and wiring will increase the weight, which is cancelled out by other weight saving measures undertaken.

So it's still lighter than factory weight! :D

Soldato
Heavy beasts those UKDM's.

*dusts off 1060kg's*

At least we don't have excess Kilos of stickers reminding onlookers how JDM we are :D :D :D

I've shaved about 40Kg off mine so far, CAT back exhaust will be 6Kg in total, but the stereo adds a little. Boooo.

Back
Top Bottom