*** The official HTC One S thread ***

What on earth are you talking about? ;)

:p

Yeah my HOS really has trouble over-saturating greens and reds - and your right - the HOS is way sharper on the soil etc.

It would be interesting to see how another 1S would compare to the one you have got as some of your shots do seem to be quite over saturated compared to other shots when it comes to situations like that :confused:

damn more tests :D

haha :D :D :D

Unfortunately it is pouring today and pretty dull/dark so can't take any photos of flowers etc. so this is the best that I can do for now :p :o

I didn't focus on any part at all, just pointed, give it a second to focus and took the shot.

JAZCY.jpg ZkaAV.jpg ZNcjq.jpg
And a video of Sprite doing her kneading thing but she didn't squeak away like she usually does :(

Quality isn't great though due to it being pretty dull/dark today :(

EDIT:

Should say that is pretty much what the colour is like in real life (the first 2 shots), the 3rd has made it even pinker/brighter :p (also I used the close up setting for that last shot).

Last edited:
Just put in my talkmobile SIM and it seems to get a decent signal 4/5 bars but only a G internet connection (network mode is GSM and WCDMA). If I switch it to WCDMA only I get around 3-5 bars and a H connection.

Any one else had similar problems?

IIRC that is the way it works with sense, if you start browsing or sending a file or something, it then automatically switches to H/3G and when idle back to G to save power, however, it actually consumes more battery life this way, more so if you lock the phone and then wake it up a minute later to check out a website etc.

And yes that is normal enough for you to get weaker voice reception if WCDMA is on/active.

Best thing to do, is keep GSM only mode enabled when you are not needing a fast connection (even if you're on wifi) and when you are out and about and need a fast connection, manually switch to WCDMA only mode.

Here is what I recommend you do with your phone to help battery life etc. even more :)

Leave "best wifi performance" turned off.

Disable any apps that you don't need in settings>apps>click on app>disable at top right

Don't have weather etc. syncing every 30 minutes etc. set to something like 2 or 3 hours.

Manually control the screen brightness as auto makes the battery life worse, install qbright from the market and set a gesture so when you swipe up or down on the homescreen or dock icons this app is opened like the below:

kaOcS.jpg.png
I have it set to currently; night is 0%, indoor 30%, outdoor 50% and sunshine 70%

Keep wifi on as much as possible and set to never sleep

Keep GSM mode selected instead of WCDMA in mobile network settings as one; the voice reception is stronger and better battery life even when connected to wifi I found.

If you aren't going to be using any internet at all for quite while (meaning no need for weather, emails to sync etc.) then turn wifi and mobile network data off.

Only enable WCDMA when you want to browse or stream something (only when wifi is not possible)

Don't use any form of a task killer, if an app isn't responding just use the built in one.

CHeers for the tips Nexus.

Just tried browsing when GSM/WDMA is on and it still just stays on G :(.

Also coming from a ZTE Blade (orange SF) with cyanogen mod, I'm missing the nice notification power widget which I used to turn wifi and mobile data on/off quickly. Are there any nice widgets around that do something similar or am I best of installing cyanogen 9 on it?

No problem :)

Hmm, weird! Do a speedtest with WCDMA only mode selected and see what speed you get and if it is consistent, you could be in an area where you won't get a consistent strong signal and that might be why it prefers the GSM connection.

As for the notification widgets, you can use this but I found there to be problems using the mobile data connection and 3G-G toggle so am now just using this widget instead, you can also put that one in the notification area, but I just use it on my homescreen :)

EDIT:

Regarding CM9 etc. I don't think it is fully working on the S yet, features missing and bugs :(

And if you did flash it, you would loose everything to do with sense, so that means the camera would be nowhere as good along with the sense gallery, dialer etc. (IMO), trickdroid seems to be the best ROM at the minute.

Last edited:
Just picked my One S up this morning, only managed to get it on charge at 15:00 though.

I have a question though, can I turn it on and use it whilst its having its initial charge, or should I just keep it turned off?

Thanks.

Just picked my One S up this morning, only managed to get it on charge at 15:00 though.

I have a question though, can I turn it on and use it whilst its having its initial charge, or should I just keep it turned off?

Thanks.

Yes, you can. Don't worry about that.

No, you can't turn it on at all till the green LED shows! Or else you will ruin the battery completely!

Joking aside :p

You should be fine, I turned mine on when it was still charging and it has been fine, so far.............

@ Nexus - what's a great app that lets me transfer stuff to and from my phone over wifi (is this known as FTP?)

I have Airsync by doubletwist but never used it (10p sale) - is this one of the good ones?

Yup! File transfer protocol :)

I use estrongs file explorer for transferring a small number of photos etc. from my mobile to my PC and for downloading some small things like apk's etc. to install, from my PC to the phone.

I also use airdroid to access my phone's storage system from my desktop browser, mainly for transferring the larger files/more items e.g. 1080P videos and a bulk of photos (as thumbnails are shown and overall just more pleasant to use) etc. as it has more of a desktop UI experience (similar UI to linux and OSX)

There are other apps such as swiFTP and wifi file transfer, which I did use before airdroid, stopped using SwiFTP due to low speeds and stopped using wifi file transfer as airdroid has a far better UI and more features. Plus the way you login is probably the coolest method of logging in that I have seen yet :p :D :o

Airsync is just for streaming music and videos over wifi from your PC to your phone (can also do this with estrongs), I use BS player lite for streaming videos from my PC to the phone.

At the end of the day it's a phone. If you were that bothered about taking amazing photos you wouldn't be using a phone you'd have a dslr. So for me if it looks better it looks better, technicalities that aren't really big changes are irrelevant. Not to mention the costs of the phones involved, hardly surprising the more expensive one comes out on top even if it is marginal in most cases

Aye, give me a DSLR any day ... BUT, as an add to the phone it's not bad. Not something I use overly much though do find a phone cam handy for getting a photo online quickly, with the minimum of fuss. Great for the times you don't have a dslr in your pocket :confused:. I always find the lens of the phone cam gets cover in pocket dust and finger marks (or something?). Would never put an unprotected dslr camera lens in my pocket :eek: All that said the One S camera phone is quite a step forward and although mine does over-saturate reds and greens and white balance can be a bit suspect it is fast and would put a lot of compact digital cameras to shame.

Back
Top Bottom