What watch do you wear?

This is the G Shock I wear when at work:

G-ShockDW9000MS-1.jpg

And my Accurist Skymaster usual everyday watch:

8069824.jpg

Does the spring gets weaker as the years go by thus increasing the need to wind up more frequently ?

The continuous winding/unwinding may weaken the spring but not so as you would notice. It will still hold the same amount of energy when fully wound and the mechanism of the watch governs the rate at which the energy is released at much less than the spring naturally wants to release so in reality any weakening ofthe spring isn't going to make any difference.

Worst case senario you break the mainspring and have to get it replaced, which is a quite simple job for a watchmaker to do for you.

I have a automatic Longines that was worn daily from the mid 70's until a couple of years ago. Still runs like a dream.

Whilst picking up my new Mondaine watch (only £139) from Goldsmiths I thought I'd ask how much battery replacement would cost. I was quite shocked that it was going to be £45 upwards and a similar price for the Skagen watch I got from them a couple of months ago. They said the watches are sent back to their respective service centres for battery changes hence the price.

There's a watch repair shop in Uxbridge who changes batteries for £6 but I've lost faith in them as they didn't seal my old Mappin & Webb properly and they broke a screw on my Polar HRM watch. Suffice to say, I'm not going back there!

I understand that it's not just a case of replacing the battery i.e. sealing needs to be done properly. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced place that I can keep in mind for the future? I'm in west London so anywhere around there or in central will be OK.

Anyone?

Just go to look at the time and the glass has cracked on my Skagen.

:confused: It's been on my wrist all day... the ****?!?

edit ------------------->

EAO4Z.jpg

I'm not even annoyed, I'm just confused! haha :D

Last edited:
My new Seiko Sportura Alarm Chronograph : SNAE67P1

RRP is £350 but I only paid £220

- 42mm
- Leather strap with yellow stitching
- Sapphire Glass

8030451303_47723236b2_b.jpg

8030445362_aa510aa4e3_b.jpg

Ok my TISSOT PRS516 arrived and im over the moon with it, having never owned a watch before my opinion is purely that of this watch and this watch alone.

Packaging is very nice and to me shows the quality of the product, very well thought out with lots of paper work including a current catalogue, a history of TISSOT and the relevant warranty card etc.
IMG_20121009_230846.jpg

Very nice detail on the back and inside the window, think this is missing from the quartz movements, its a nice touch.
IMG_20121009_230613.jpg

Strap feels nice and weighty the and the whole watch has a good hefty feel to it.
IMG_20121009_230646.jpg

The side walls have a polished finish while the top has a matte brushed finish which gives the whole watch a nice contrast and lets it catch the light nicely on your arm, makes me stop and look down at it :D
IMG_20121009_230536.jpg

And the arm shot, the faces markers and hands have a nice polished shine that glints nicely but the pictures never seem to pick this up properly, it really adds to the look of the watch and it looks so much better in person.
the faces black finish is also more satin which sets it off nicely.
IMG_20121009_230455.jpg

Cost was £410, it was a little painful initially never owning a watch in my life and paying that money for one but now its on my arm i couldn't be happier with it, it feels like money well spent.

All in all i love it :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom