What watch do you wear?

Whilst picking up my new Mondaine watch (only £139) from Goldsmiths I thought I'd ask how much battery replacement would cost. I was quite shocked that it was going to be £45 upwards and a similar price for the Skagen watch I got from them a couple of months ago. They said the watches are sent back to their respective service centres for battery changes hence the price.

There's a watch repair shop in Uxbridge who changes batteries for £6 but I've lost faith in them as they didn't seal my old Mappin & Webb properly and they broke a screw on my Polar HRM watch. Suffice to say, I'm not going back there!

I understand that it's not just a case of replacing the battery i.e. sealing needs to be done properly. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced place that I can keep in mind for the future? I'm in west London so anywhere around there or in central will be OK.

Currently this one, but I'm selling it / I'm being forced to sell it.

19767-IMAG0725%20%28Custom%29.jpg

Definitely not real :p

I'm looking at buying a new watch to replace my current trusty Animal watch which is slowly but surely disintegrating at a budget of up to say £250 - this isn't entirely fixed and could be flexed a bit but that's a ballpark figure. This may be a daft question but do Ingersoll use a decent automatic movement? I've got my suspicions that at this cheaper end of the market it makes no odds and they're all much of a muchness but since I'm so far out of my depth it's not even funny I thought I'd ask in case some of the smart folks here knew.

For reference the watches I'm looking at the moment/like the look of are:
Ingersoll Pro Engineer
Citizen Titanium Chronograph Eco-Drive
Citizen Sport Chronograph Eco-Drive

Ideally I'd prefer an automatic or solar powered one with an orange or yellow dial and a metal strap but if such a watch exists I've yet to find it or it's way out of my price range. I can find watches that look like what I want but only with a quartz movement and I'm somewhat loathe to spend over £150 on such a watch. I'm still open to ideas though so if anyone has better suggestions...?

I have fallen in love with this beauty - http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/specialities/olympic-collection-london-2012/52210445003001 and would like to know if it would retain it's value in 10yrs time or so if still in good condition and would the fact that it's from the Olympic collection affect it's desirability? Is it a bit overpriced currently because of the Olympics?
I have at least 10 watches (of varying value, although not in this league, a £200 Seiko is currently tops) so it won't get worn everyday, just when I'm going out & not expecting a fight.
Ta :)

I thought J/K denoted where it was made?
Destination market, not source. From what I understand, the only reason they stamp 'made in Japan' on the 'j' models is because Japan has more lax legislation/regulations for what 'made in X' actually means. So technically they shouldn't be sold in Europe where the watches don't satisfy European regulations for what 'made in Japan' means.

Language on the day wheel is different. ;)
haha, ok :p

I have fallen in love with this beauty - http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/specialities/olympic-collection-london-2012/52210445003001 and would like to know if it would retain it's value in 10yrs time or so if still in good condition and would the fact that it's from the Olympic collection affect it's desirability? Is it a bit overpriced currently because of the Olympics?
I have at least 10 watches (of varying value, although not in this league, a £200 Seiko is currently tops) so it won't get worn everyday, just when I'm going out & not expecting a fight.
Ta :)

Omega 2nd hand prices seem to be getting pulled up by some hefty price increases. How much all this affects that particular LE, and after a decade... :dunno

Hi, I have a quick question. I'm looking st a Herr Kemmner watch, but it has a 'wind up' mechanism. It says it will go 42 hours between winds. Can you top up the wind everyday or do you have to let run down?

Back
Top Bottom