***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Associate
Same with me, I want a quantum leap over my Lumia 800. Camera is very important to me and wireless charging.

£459 is less than my iPhone 4 was at £499 and the 32GB iPhone 5 is £599. I've got the money available after saving a bit and selling off some stuff on ebay.

I have Friday off so will venture down there then.

Associate
Well just spoke to p4u and they have said I can't upgrade to a Lumia 920 on orange, even though orange comes under ee and I could get a Lumia 920 via orange.... makes no sense!

Associate
IF unlock codes are available for only a few quid I can't see this being such a big issue.

What with the phone being so new the only option would be to go through the only channel Nokia would give an unlock code to - the carrier. Which is a trip to EE, a PAYG SIM, £20 top-up and an "up to" five day wait.

Man of Honour
What with the phone being so new the only option would be to go through the only channel Nokia would give an unlock code to - the carrier. Which is a trip to EE, a PAYG SIM, £20 top-up and an "up to" five day wait.

There's unlock codes available for Canada ones allready. So hopfully uk unlocking codes won't be to far away. But it does mean waiting untill they are available.

Associate
I'm a sucker for new phones and often get caught up in the hype. I can honestly say I've not seen such a disastrous launch of a flagship phone before!

How have Nokia UK been allowed to get it so wrong? :(

Associate
I'm a sucker for new phones and often get caught up in the hype. I can honestly say I've not seen such a disastrous launch of a flagship phone before!

How have Nokia UK been allowed to get it so wrong? :(

As someone wrote somewhere (may have been on here), Nokia serves its customers well and their customers are the phone networks not the people buying the phones.

Nokia - Connecting People.................to Android, HTC and Samsung.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Some sites have uk unlock available for Lumia 920. EE isn't listed. Several other carriers orange being the closest but expensive at about £40, now found €35

Wonder if any off these work at all.

Associate
I'll go for the unlock option.

I've calculated that on the cheapest deal on EE I'd pay around £1003 in total over 24 months.

Buying the phone SIM free, spending 30 odd on an unlock code and paying £12 a month for Giffgaff works out around £777. I'm not spending £18 a month more for a 4G service I won't get.

I've asked on a musicians forum where people are in France, Germany etc if they know of anywhere that will ship a phone to the UK. So i'll see if they know. This is a backup plan :)

Last edited:

Izi

Izi

Soldato
I'll go for the unlock option.

I've calculated that on the cheapest deal on EE I'd pay around £1003 in total over 24 months.

Buying the phone SIM free, spending 30 odd on an unlock code and paying £12 a month for Giffgaff works out around £777. I'm not spending £18 a month more for a 4G service I won't get.

I've asked on a musicians forum where people are in France, Germany etc if they know of anywhere that will ship a phone to the UK. So i'll see if they know. This is a backup plan :)

Just do the 12 months @£50 + £50 for handset. It works out that the contract price is only £17 / month.

I was angry until I realised there were 12 month plans, now this sorts the issue.

EDIT: Hope people see this...

12 months @ £51 = £612 + £49.99 for the phone = £661.99. If you subtract the sim free phone cost of £470 then divide by 12 the monthly cost is £15.99 for the contact. Thats a pretty good deal if you ask me.

Last edited:
Associate
Right, so after looking at all the options it turns out there may be a few decent deals hidden among the mis-information and ineptitude...

My ideal solution would be a proper SIM-free, unlocked handset and my choice of SIM-only deal (Ultimate Internet SIM 200 from 3). That would work out at £460 for the phone and 12 * £12.90 for the SIM-only deal.
Total for 12 months : £614.80

The P4U 12 month deal at £56 per month will give a similar price; £19.99 for the phone, 12 * £56 for the contract and £50 back from quidco.
Total for 12 months : £641.99

Pros:
- unlimited calls
- unlimited texts
- potential 4G speeds (doubtful though)

Cons:
- limited colour choice
- phone unlock fee if you change network after the 12 months
- less data allowance (but do you really need to use more than 3GB of data on a phone?)

It's a close call, but I may go for the P4U offer anyway. If they threw in a free wireless charging plate then that'd swing it for me (BIG hint for anyone at P4U reading this ;))

Associate
I'm gonna go that way too I think. Although keeping the £460 I would have spend on the phone in the bank will be a challenge, I may have to store it elsewhere and transfer over.

Back
Top Bottom