***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Soldato
"Lacklustre camera aside" - WTF this was one of the main reasons I wanted the phone!

This review looks completely fake, it gives us NO new detail's and they didnt try and test a whole heap of stuff, like not even a proper Video take and a couple of pictures?...WTH?

Associate
This review looks completely fake, it gives us NO new detail's and they didnt try and test a whole heap of stuff, like not even a proper Video take and a couple of pictures?...WTH?

I wonder if there's a jpg compression setting somewhere? it seems as if some reviewers have said the photos are lacking a small amount of detail compared to the iPhone 5. Although one person's detail is another persons luminance noise (grain).

Associate
If you missed the blog post from dial a phone http://www.dialaphone.co.uk/blog/2012/10/30/nokia-lumia-920-vs-apple-iphone-5/

NO HOTLINKING PLEASE!

It doesn't look correct does it?

Depends on how much post processing there is in the iPhone 5. Photos out of my SLR when shooting in RAW don't look razor sharp. Most cameras run a sharpening filter after taking the photo and converting it to JPG.

What the Nokia 920 isn't doing is sharpening as much as the iPhone 5 and that's no big deal. There might be a setting on the 920 to increase this.

Sharpening filters tend to also make noise in the image more noticeable.

Just run your pics through some filters afterwards if they're not sharp enough. Anyone serious about photography has a workflow.

I've applied sharpening to the 920 image, it looks better now?

8143018112_abe097b1e1.jpg

I think the colours in the iPhone 5 picture are all over the place, way too much contrast.

Last edited:
Soldato
I also wonder if they are aware that the camera button is a two stage affair? press to focus, then further to take the shot.

Perhaps they are used to the iPhone style of focussing where you just tap the screen to shoot.

If you press the screen on the 920 it will focus and then take the shot. It doesn't continually focus like the iPhone. So you can press on a certain object on the screen and it'll focus on that rather than what is in the centre of the screen.

Associate
So the camera sucks??
That is not good!!!

Nope, it just doesn't use cheap tricks to try to make the photos look better. The iPhone 5 is sharpening the photos with some post processing. It's also increasing the contrast.

The 920 is taking more neutral photos that you can post process to suit your taste. You can tell Nokia have experience of proper photography.

I guess the boosted over sharpened look appeals to people who don't have any proper camera experience. Such sharpening doesn't suit all scenarios.

Soldato
Nope, it just doesn't use cheap tricks to try to make the photos look better. The iPhone 5 is sharpening the photos with some post processing. It's also increasing the contrast.

The 920 is taking more neutral photos that you can post process to suit your taste. You can tell Nokia have experience of proper photography.

I guess the boosted over sharpened look appeals to people who don't have any proper camera experience. Such sharpening doesn't suit all scenarios.

Yes but i dont want to PP my images afterwards. Sometimes i just want to send them to friends and family or put them on fb.

Soldato
CNET review comments on the camera too:

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/nokia-lumia-920-review-50009101/

Same complaint about sharpness. It's difficult to say what the problem is at this point though - the sites releasing reviews at the moment are the ones that have rushed them in a bid to be the first published review. None of them have spent much time looking at the camera (probably why Expert Reviews have so few photos of the handset - they've skipped them to get the review out faster). In a few days we'll have a better idea - more in-depth reviews will have been conducted.

Associate
Yes but i dont want to PP my images afterwards. Sometimes i just want to send them to friends and family or put them on fb.

True, as nobody has one in their hands at the moment we can't say but there may be settings to alter this.

But you really think they are going to look at the image and go "that's not very sharp". A to B comparisons always show up differences. The 920 image is more natural.

When you post to facebook or some other sites they resample downgrade the image quality anyway.

Associate
True, as nobody has one in their hands at the moment we can't say but there may be settings to alter this.

But you really think they are going to look at the image and go "that's not very sharp". A to B comparisons always show up differences. The 920 image is more natural, the iPhone 5 photo is almost an x-ray lol.

When you post to facebook or some other sites they resample downgrade the image quality anyway.

Back
Top Bottom