***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Associate
I think the 920 is THAT GOOD.

I think it is the BEST smartphone there is right now. I think that the combination of great display, great camera and good software makes it very compelling.

I realise apps are an issue but I am sure that will change - and in the meantime I do have an iPhone 5 and will also buy a Nexus 4 :)

Associate
Gummobile who sell SIM free phones have just announced that as an exclusive no one will have unlocked 920s in the UK on their Facebook.

This does agree with what Nokia said but I guess until it is in stores we just cant be sure. Just because the price tag says its available SIM free DOES NOT mean they will be selling it that way - they do those in advance and the situation can and does change.

It doesn't mean someone can't sell it SIM free, just means the distributor may not sell to them. Someone can source them from other EU countries and sell them.

Associate
Well the info is direct from Nokia UK so surely it's true?

Don't think I've ever seen such a laughable launch for a "flagship" product. And now with a Nexus 4 at over £200 cheaper you'd have to be a mug to buy this thing.

A company representative can be ignorant of all the facts sometimes. I will see tomorrow when I go to Phones4U.

Associate

I'm not sure I'd trust that article. It's already had to have 2 ammendments for having the wrong info, and according to this comment ( link ) P4U are saying that their SIM-free are not network locked.

All this mis-information is starting to take the ****, might just go with an 8X unless someone on here is able to get the SIM free version working on another network over the next few days.

Associate

Don't think I've ever seen such a laughable launch for a "flagship" product. And now with a Nexus 4 at over £200 cheaper you'd have to be a mug to buy this thing.

I'd rather have the right phone than save a few quid but I still have questions that haven't been answered!

Man of Honour

Nexus is certainly a stunning phone. But i'm not going to buy a product that doesn't do what I want it to do. Even if it was £50, it just doesn't have an acceptable storage level.
However if you don't need storage it is a brilliant device.

As well as other issues, like buying multiple apps/films.
It's the same reason in the past years, I've been willing to pay extra for apple.

Last edited:
Associate
Well I do not believe anything on Twitter, whether it comes from Nokia or Phones4U as I've had a tweet from Nokia which contradicts that one seen on Neowin.

http://twitter.com/nokia_uk/status/263644515120861185
http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s421/DasYad/*******.png

Actually wouldn't that confirm it? If Nokia don't know of any plans then surely Phones4U are just selling off EE stock at full whack?

I'd rather have the right phone than save a few quid but I still have questions that haven't been answered!

If £200 is "a few quid" to you I'd sure like your job!! ;)

Nexus is certainly a stunning phone. But i'm not going to buy a product that doesn't do what I want it to do. Even if it was £50, it just doesn't have an acceptable storage level.
However if you don't need storage it is a brilliant device.

As well as other issues, like buying multiple apps/films.
It's the same reason in the past years, I've been willing to pay extra for apple.

Wouldn't an HTC 8S do everything the Lumia 920 does (excluding camera, wireless charging and Sat Nav)? That's half the price too...

Man of Honour
I'm shallow I really want wireless charging as well as I destroy charging cables like they go out of fashion. Although the 8s is the best looking wp8. Also as I'm being forced to use a big phone, might as well go large screen. It's used more for film and Internet than it is as a phone. In fact the phone function although vital is well down the list in terms of usage.
But yes the 8s is a very capable phone.

Last edited:
Soldato
well I have put a preorder in at gsmnation in the states as Im beginning to suspect that anything other than a yellow or red 920 is going to be impossible to find in the UK.
Anyone know any reliable EU retailers that ship to the UK?

Associate
[RXP]Andy;23073694 said:
I'll updated the thread as soon as mine arrives at P4U, I am 99% sure this will be unlocked.

I don't want to be negative BUT I wouldn't trust anything Phones4u tells you as they are the worst kind of salesmen - they have no idea what they are selling and just tell you what you want to hear.

I am not saying that it is locked but I wouldn't be sure about what they told you, and expect to have issues. If you walk away with an unlocked phone on Friday then I am sure lots of us will be down to P4U to get them for ourselves.

Man of Honour
It doesn't really matter if it is locked, unlock codes are free or a couple of quid. Just hope they are released soon. As long as Nokia haven't doe anything bizarre.

An unlock code for Canada is allready available.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
I don't want to be negative BUT I wouldn't trust anything Phones4u tells you as they are the worst kind of salesmen - they have no idea what they are selling and just tell you what you want to hear.

I am not saying that it is locked but I wouldn't be sure about what they told you, and expect to have issues. If you walk away with an unlocked phone on Friday then I am sure lots of us will be down to P4U to get them for ourselves.

I agree. I never trust sales people in phone shops or sales people in general, so I am going to find out for myself. :D

Associate
Actually wouldn't that confirm it? If Nokia don't know of any plans then surely Phones4U are just selling off EE stock at full whack?

I would have said no just because of the difference in colour options but there's a bit of uncertainty.

If £200 is "a few quid" to you I'd sure like your job!! ;)

No you wouldn't, it's far more trouble than it's worth! ;) Seriously though, £200 isn't just a few quid but spread over a year (the least amount of time I expect to spend on a handset) and suddenly I'm more concerned about the experience than the cost.

Wouldn't an HTC 8S do everything the Lumia 920 does (excluding camera, wireless charging and Sat Nav)? That's half the price too...

The 8S is surely much closer to the 820 which you can get anyway? Then of course there's the smaller screen, smaller battery, no image stabilisation and all the other gubbins you've mention.

The battery in my current phone is so useless I couldn't stomach a repeat performance, if the 920 doesn't work out for me I'll be ordering a Note 2 instead. Which is why I'm getting a bit frustrated at the lack of serious reviews when this device has been floating around for a while.

Back
Top Bottom