***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Associate
[RXP]Andy;23071920 said:
I am going to be testing the handset before I walk away from the store, otherwise I will be getting a refund (deposit) on it.

A quick check would be to power up the phone without a SIM inserted.
For a locked phone you should get 3 boot screens (network provider -> phone manufacturer -> windows phone logo), but for an unlocked phone it should just be 2 boot screens (phone manufacturer -> windows phone logo).

Soldato
What a balls up. This was Nokias chance to get out of poo and they have completely messed up.

I'm now considering not getting a 920 now (as awesome as it looks) because I don't know how long Nokia will be around, what will happen to win 8 and warranty etc? Maybe I'm being overly dramatic?

Also, regarding these 4g contracts (not that I would get one). Do you get unlimited 3/2g with that? Or is it the 500mb and you're done?

Associate
What a balls up. This was Nokias chance to get out of poo and they have completely messed up.

I'm now considering not getting a 920 now (as awesome as it looks) because I don't know how long Nokia will be around, what will happen to win 8 and warranty etc? Maybe I'm being overly dramatic?

Also, regarding these 4g contracts (not that I would get one). Do you get unlimited 3/2g with that? Or is it the 500mb and you're done?

500mb and you're done is what it looks like

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
For a locked phone you should get 3 boot screens (network provider -> phone manufacturer -> windows phone logo), but for an unlocked phone it should just be 2 boot screens (phone manufacturer -> windows phone logo).

Yup. I know that one. :D

Associate

Same, the Nexus 4 is looking mighty tempting now.

Associate

Haha I was the same but remember that we are but one small island on Nokia's sales figures ;)

Soldato
Im not sure what they would call a "strong" market right now, but this kind of utter balls up isnt helping.

So far we have:
No confirmed dates of any kind, I was happy to wait, but theirs been NOTHING from Nokia about it, NOTHING.
Worst "Exclusive" tied to network deal ever, terrible tariffs, and eye-watering prices for a 4G service not even close to half rolled out across the UK.

Now it seems we MIGHT not even be able to properly obtain a Sim Free version of the device.

Also, again,. colour availability is a huge bust, with only Black or White on the tariffs with only select colours coming to the UK?....with the possibility of no Grey version..where Cyan?..where Nokia giving us confirmed details?

Relax Apple and Google, you are under no kind of threat from these clowns.

Associate
Relax Apple and Google, you are under no kind of threat from these clowns.

Indeed. Sales will be poor and then the press will say this is a wholesale rejection of Windows Phone by the public, when in reality they just don't want to pay £45 or so a month for a phone when their gas, fuel, mortgage and food bills have all risen and their pay hasn't.

On Facebook right now Nokia UK are answering questions, but they're skipping SIM free questions or posting generic answers like check with Phones 4 U. Very poor (as Vic Reeves used to say).

Soldato

Not necessarily. That just indicates that the phone is network branded. It can be branded and unlocked - my HTC Trophy was, as was my Xperia X1. Then again, that's Vodafone. AFAIK they don't lock their handsets at all.

Soldato
Exactly, people will want this phone, people I think would really love WP8 if they got it in their hand for 5 mins when compared to a Droid device.
All of this will have driven a HUGE push from MS and other OEMs to ride this wave and push people away.
And it wasnt a "rejection" from people, it was the lack of availability to the phone from the get go, esp coming up to chrimbo.

Soldato
I'd just like the see the 8X in stores now to be honest. At the right price, I'll have one. The dummy unit I handled was very nice :D

My preference was for the 920, but with the exclusivity it's now dependent on 8X and 820 availability and pricing. I'm not changing network and paying massively more for the 920 - it's good, but it's not THAT good.

Associate
So I phoned EE to change my order from Black to White and their systems are down.

I was told they will have stock on 14th November.

Phones4u now have black and white on their site (before they had no lumia 920s at all).

I know that stock should officially be with them on 9th November.

I hope like you guys that stores have stock first in which case I will cancel my online order and pick one up but it seems up in the air right now.

Gummobile who sell SIM free phones have just announced that as an exclusive no one will have unlocked 920s in the UK on their Facebook.

This does agree with what Nokia said but I guess until it is in stores we just cant be sure. Just because the price tag says its available SIM free DOES NOT mean they will be selling it that way - they do those in advance and the situation can and does change.

Back
Top Bottom