Ever check your Pollen Filter?

Just so you know, some cars have carbon pollen filters as an option

They look like this when they're new

!B8nsVs!CGk~$(KGrHqV,!iUEzNtpPi(JBM3mI!kL,Q~~0_35.JPG

not sure mine was intended to be carbon. Oil fumes from a leaky gasket clogged it right up, not to mention hair from something, leaves and all sorts. Now I've got a lovely neutral smelling high flow of air from the vents.

not sure mine was intended to be carbon. Oil fumes from a leaky gasket clogged it right up, not to mention hair from something, leaves and all sorts. Now I've got a lovely neutral smelling high flow of air from the vents.

Couldn't really tell from the pic you posted, it just looked remarkably similar. I wonder how many people here have ditched a new carbon filter for a paper one because they thought it was dirty though :)

Couldn't really tell from the pic you posted, it just looked remarkably similar. I wonder how many people here have ditched a new carbon filter for a paper one because they thought it was dirty though :)

haha, yes I have to admit I did look at it for a second and think about it. I replaced a bosch filter with another bosch one, so you'd think they wouldn't be too far off colour wise.

haha, yes I have to admit I did look at it for a second and think about it. I replaced a bosch filter with another bosch one, so you'd think they wouldn't be too far off colour wise.

Depends - Bosch probably make both types. Certainly for my car on ECP there's an option for either, both the same brand. The carbon ones are a few quid more but are better

How long will it take me to change it? I've had one sitting around for a couple of months now but haven't been arsed to actually swap it. On an HVAC related note, my AC compressor decided to trash itself today with no warning at all. So much for running it all the time keeping it working nicely :/

very easy.

longest part was the fiddly screws on that plastic under panel and then hoovering the airbox and foot well

the friggin window demist now (almost zero air flow before) and the heater does a much more convincing job of heating the cabin :D

Didn't realise this thread was still going! Good to see people are still replacing their filters.

I have a Peugeot 306 and a Civic Type R FN2.. The Peugeot is currently sorn. No such thing as a pollen filter in those whoever mentioned it :p

Hmmm, maybe I should check mine, been having dreadful problems with moisture in my car (although less so since I moved to Scotchland), but I'm sure the filter was only changed a couple of years ago during a service.

Heh, if anyone is alarmed by how dirty some of these filters are take a look at the ceiling mounted "cassette" air con units next time you go to a Spar or a petrol station, the filter is in the center and they are usually so dirty the blackness is visible through the grill or even sticking through it in some cases. But the best is supermarkets like Tesco/Sainsburys/etc, they have white plastic mesh grills in the ceiling on the ventilation extract system that are usually caked in black dirt, and that's from the air your standing in :P

I walked away from a burger king a while ago for that reason. They were handling food underneath the most skanky looking aircon filter I've ever seen.

I hate trying to google for car things as there are so many variations of each it becomes a nightmare so will ask here.

My Audi A3 is a 2003 8P1 (2.0 TDi), is it easy to check it/change it on one of those?

In a lot of them it is located behind the glovebox, stick your head under it with a torch and see if there is a panel that looks like it can be removed. In my Golf there are something like two torx screws holding a flap and the filter just pulls down. Takes 5 mins to remove, clean/replace and put back in.

In a lot of them it is located behind the glovebox, stick your head under it with a torch and see if there is a panel that looks like it can be removed. In my Golf there are something like two torx screws holding a flap and the filter just pulls down. Takes 5 mins to remove, clean/replace and put back in.

Cheers, I went to have a look when I got home last night and the unlock button on my key fob had stopped working (lock button still worked). Thinking it might be the battery I replaced it and followed the resync procedure (which requires you to press the unlock button) and now it does nothing lol.

Annoyingly it was my only key (bought car with one and been meaning to get a spare for ages) so now have to find somewhere to get a replacement.

FYI If you buy MANN cabin air filters (Yellow box) they will come with an instruction sheet detailing location, installation procedure, tools required and an estimate as to how long to allow for the job.

Also remember to order as CUK-xxxx This will get you the proper charcoal filters, if you order CU-xxxx you will only get the non-charcoal variety.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom