• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GeForce Titan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Lets face it, if the rumors of the performance gains from Titan are true, Nvidia can pretty much charge what ever they want as it will have no competition (that we know of).

Yeah that is the only way I can see them being able to do so, if they launch the Titan early and then it has the high end space on it's own for a few months.

About the rumored performance though isn't it just what you would expect from a new generation card surely? Every new gen the top single card competes with the previous dual card. The 7970 gave similar performance at launch to the GTX 590 and was £200 cheaper, people still said AMD charged to much..

Now Nvidia are set to launch a card that offers a rumoured 85%+ performance of the GTX 690 and will cost $899 and the price is being defended :rolleyes:.

Soldato
I have no idea what you are trying to say in this thread. You obviously have no intention of buying and are just trying to justify your 7970's in an Nvidia thread. Pretty desperate.

Um wtf?

Uh_wtf_gif.gif

Associate
Im not buying into the rumours just yet. I remember for ages before they were released, lots of people were spreading the rumour it was $299. Look how that turned out.

If it offers better price/performance than other offerings, then I will buy it. Probably not the top card though.

Associate
It will all be down to performance as to whether there is any fleecing going on, if the Titan is as fast or faster than a 690 then they will it would be worth £600+ as you would be prepared to pay for the performance.

If it's slower than a 690 then you have to weigh up the price of the Titan compared to that of the 690.

To me if the Titan comes in at ~£650 and out-paces a 690 or 680SLi or 7970CF then I'll buy 2 and sell my 670 TriSli :)

Soldato
So are these cast off cores from the Titan supercomputer?

me and Gregster did some 7970 vs 680 clock for clock BF3 benches, pre 12.11 the 680 was the clear winner, post 12.11 it was near enough neck and neck, no clear winner so it would be unfair to call the 7970 the out-right winner.

680%20vs%207970%20BF3_2.jpg

Are we looking at the same graph? If pre 12.11 the 680 was the clear winner, 10.7% on average, then your graph shows that post 12.11 the 7970 is clearly ahead, 6.5% to be precise and especially as the 7970 had better minimums throughout your graph. Where did you get near enough neck and neck from? :confused:

Caporegime

Are we looking at the same graph? If pre 12.11 the 680 was the clear winner, 10.7% on average, then your graph shows that post 12.11 the 7970 is clearly ahead, 6.5% to be precise and especially as the 7970 had better minimums throughout your graph. Where did you get near enough neck and neck from? :confused:

They are binned K20 chips. This is why I feel they will be a limited quantity card. Maybe I am wrong and at the suggested price of £700, if they sell well, they could make more.

The 12.11's deffo put the 7970 ahead.

Soldato

Apologies, I should have corrected my earlier statement as I didn't realise I still had the graph laying about :)

What I had said previously was just drawn from memory.

Soldato
They are binned K20 chips.

As in the best of, or the ones that didn't make the grade? Were's the info coming from for these cards?

Apologies, I should have corrected my earlier statement as I didn't realise I still had the graph laying about :)

What I had said previously was just drawn from memory.

No need to apologise bud, just wondered if you'd posted the wrong chart or summat! :)

Soldato
What everyone here is failing to consider is the cost of this "Titan" is going to be maybe 90% made up from just the Chip, we have no idea how much difficulty Nvidia/TSM has had with the manufacture. Cost per chip is always going to be total production costs divided by functional chips sold, I'm assuming if all this is going to happen. Nvidia have plenty of failed GK110's good enough to be regraded for this card.

I'm sure a few of you realise when they set out to make chips, the faulty partially functioning chips get regraded so are not wasted...Unless they are getting very high yields whereby they would turn of functionality after manufacturing, but the intention is obviously always to fabricate top end chips.

Bottom line is although reported prices are silly high for a GFX card, they really might not be ripping us off for reasons above.

Soldato
No need to apologise bud, just wondered if you'd posted the wrong chart or summat! :)

:p Nope, I was just almost certain the graph said the difference was only 2-3 fps from memory, turns out I was wrong :o

Prices may be Ares side of silly too, another article I read this morning suggested they may be a very limited run of cards unfortunately.

Soldato
They are binned K20 chips. This is why I feel they will be a limited quantity card. Maybe I am wrong and at the suggested price of £700, if they sell well, they could make more.

The 12.11's deffo put the 7970 ahead.

TBH I find it hard to believe that any single GPU card could be £700 or more.

I could be wrong mind but I just don't see it.

I would be so bold as to involve bananas, but I'll leave that to Easy :D

Associate
i cant help thinking everyone is way off with there price guessing, the cheapest gtx 690 on overclockers is £799.99, now if the rumors are true about this being as good as or better than a 690 then wont they be priced more, if they priced these at £600 or even at £700 then sales of 690's would stop instantly.

Soldato
TBH I find it hard to believe that any single GPU card could be £700 or more.

I could be wrong mind but I just don't see it.

I would be so bold as to involve bananas, but I'll leave that to Easy :D

Thing is regardless of everything if it performs close to 2x single card, it would never cost much less that single card x2, and I'm sure all of us would prefer single cards if it can do the job ;)

Associate
Super high end components are always horrible value for money, but that's really missing the point, they're designed for people who want the best.

If your not bothered about having the fastest single GPU card then get two HD7950's and overclock them for the same performance and save yourself a lot of money.

Man of Honour
Yeah, I think priced like that this GPU is for only for people with very deep wallets.

The biggest problem I can see with it is that the top single card from the new gen always has performance comparable to the previous gens dual card. What we are seeing with Titan is no different, the performance of Nvidia's next top high end single card should be around 690 level and come in at $499 not $899.

For example the HD 7970 has 95% performance and sometimes more than the previous gens top dual card the GTX 590. Look here - http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/516?vs=618

Can't help feel that this is Nvidia's way of fleecing the consumer even more especially after the GTX 680, right now the GTX 680 has less performance than the HD 7970 but costs a fair bit more. Nvidia's pricing right now is mental..

I guess Titan will just be more of the same.. Question is will the HD 8970 come along a bit later and offer similar performance for a fraction of the cost.. For most people it'll be worth waiting rather than rushing out and buying a Titan..

I still have a pair of GTX 590s in a system, for everyday use they feel really nice, refined and subtle compared to a system with a pair of HD 7970s.

The thing to remember with the GTX 590s is they do NOT follow the same design concept as the GTX 690. The GTX 590 uses the same GPUs as the GTX 580 but very underclocked 607mhz compaired to 772mhz iirc and unless you want to risk starting a fire they can not get anywhere near GTX 580 speeds. This makes it quite easy for a next gen card to equal the 590s performance.

The GTX 690 is a different story the GPUs can easily be run at GTX 680 clocks or faster and will give a pair of ref GTX 680s a tough fight if we go benching. This will make them a far tougher act to beat by a single GPU next gen card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom