*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Interesting, so this things gonna call home at night and update itself to help stop people from pirating and not updating firmware I guess.. Still they probably wouldn't be online or something, I dunno.

I guess you could just set the internal clock to 6am every night and hope it uses the local clock to call home.

Will you be trying to purposely do something that falls foul of the T&Cs of the Sony Entertainment Network? :p I'm quite happy for it to do what is necessary to keep the system up-to-date ready for next time I switch it on.

Had the exact same email from game as well, and I pre-ordered in June online. Until all the retailers get there allocation from Sony, no one really knows how many pre-ordered will be filled so are just covering themselves with the invertible your will get priority email. I would hope that those that pre-ordered early enough should be ok (fingers crossed ;))

Just checked game.

At this time, final launch allocations have not been confirmed by SONY. Customers who placed their deposit with us online or in-store before 6th August 2013 (or preordered online without deposit prior to 24th May 2013) will have priority over available stock at launch
Any customers who deposited after 6th August 2013 will be given priority over further stock, so the best way to make sure you get your hands on a console as close to launch day as possible is to deposit with us. - See more at: http://playstationnews.game.co.uk/?cm_sp=topnav-_-topNav-_-PS4#sthash.YOPssJdQ.dpuf.
Looks like I get preference. Had visions of my dragging the local game manger over the counter and into my car boot Trevor style

by Masayasu Ito, Sony Computer Entertainment Japan and Asia Senior Vice president and Director of Business Unit 1

While being always online is not necessary, a network connection is important to fully enjoy the features of the PS4.
The PS4 will initially act as a stand-alone web server for the PlayStation App. In the future there’s the possibility of this to be expanded through the cloud, with the PS4 and PlayStation App interacting through the cloud, allowing cooperative play between multiple players.
The secondary chip for ultra-low power operation will mostly activate at night from 1 to 4 AM and download any required update automatically. It will also activate when software is purchased through external means like the PlayStation App.
Power consumption will vary greatly depending on the performance of the game played.
The noise level of the console during operation is generally much smaller than it was on the PS3.
The PS4′s cooling fan has a low noise level and stepless speed control (meaning that it will increase its speed to match heat smoothly and not in sudden steps like the one on the PS3).
Since the Blu-Ray player is 6x instead of 2x in speed (like the one on the PS3 was) the initial spinning noise is actually louder, but that will be countered by using the hard disk drive.
The Audio/Video performance (for movies and music) of the PS4 will target PS3 levels at launch, but will be improved through updates, for instance with the addition of 4K, as Sony is also an Audio/Video company.
The theme of the PS4 is “Personalization”, meaning that it will offer an experience tailored to each individual.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/09...power-consumption-media-performance-and-more/

Sounds like a really nice bit of kit. This really is where Sony shine. As they are after all a hardware company.

by Masayasu Ito, Sony Computer Entertainment Japan and Asia Senior Vice president and Director of Business Unit 1

While being always online is not necessary, a network connection is important to fully enjoy the features of the PS4.
The PS4 will initially act as a stand-alone web server for the PlayStation App. In the future there’s the possibility of this to be expanded through the cloud, with the PS4 and PlayStation App interacting through the cloud, allowing cooperative play between multiple players.
The secondary chip for ultra-low power operation will mostly activate at night from 1 to 4 AM and download any required update automatically. It will also activate when software is purchased through external means like the PlayStation App.
Power consumption will vary greatly depending on the performance of the game played.
The noise level of the console during operation is generally much smaller than it was on the PS3.
The PS4′s cooling fan has a low noise level and stepless speed control (meaning that it will increase its speed to match heat smoothly and not in sudden steps like the one on the PS3).
Since the Blu-Ray player is 6x instead of 2x in speed (like the one on the PS3 was) the initial spinning noise is actually louder, but that will be countered by using the hard disk drive.
The Audio/Video performance (for movies and music) of the PS4 will target PS3 levels at launch, but will be improved through updates, for instance with the addition of 4K, as Sony is also an Audio/Video company.
The theme of the PS4 is “Personalization”, meaning that it will offer an experience tailored to each individual.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/09...power-consumption-media-performance-and-more/

Well they BETTER have sorted out this automatic overnight update then. Both my PS3s can not use the automatic update feature on PS Plus. It was set to 1am and after a few weeks I'd get up in the morning to see it had crashed at 1.10am give or take a few minutes either way.
This meant that each night it was running ALL night for no reason so I had to switch the feature off.

Well they BETTER have sorted out this automatic overnight update then. Both my PS3s can not use the automatic update feature on PS Plus. It was set to 1am and after a few weeks I'd get up in the morning to see it had crashed at 1.10am give or take a few minutes either way.
This meant that each night it was running ALL night for no reason so I had to switch the feature off.

That sounds really odd Oo I've never had that happen to my PS3, it switches on every morning and does its thing without fail.

Interesting, so this things gonna call home at night and update itself to help stop people from pirating and not updating firmware I guess.. Still they probably wouldn't be online or something, I dunno.

I guess you could just set the internal clock to 6am every night and hope it uses the local clock to call home.

:confused: You can't go online unless you have the latest software update anyway, doesn't really matter what time you set the clock to.

That sounds really odd Oo I've never had that happen to my PS3, it switches on every morning and does its thing without fail.

Maybe I was just unlucky. Happened with both my PS3s. None of which crash much at all usually. Only really during some games that were buggy. But it happened everytime during automatic update... :confused:

Ah well, they are both 5-6 years old and had heavy use due to being used for games/music/tv/movies/YT etc. Sure the PS4 won't give me the same troubles

I switch all my gadgets off each night got a switched bar so it's just one push and pc and console tv etc all off.

Doubt mine will update overnight much when I get it.

I remember PS3 launch our local superstore had none in for a couple of weeks then there were literally 50 or 60 boxes out on display which stayed there for weeks as everyone who wanted one (which isn't many) already had one.

Don't be fooled by forum hype a 400 quid console with a couple of games isn't anyone's target buy this year...

Why not set the times and hour appart ? would save them both crashing.

I keep dropping in with questions and then disappearing, so to keep up the current trend:

1. I need a new headset from my 360, but little point spending a lot of money if I also need a headset for my PS4 - any "generic/non-specific" console headsets about? Completely different platforms but I don't want two separate headsets.

2. Has anyone seen the PS4 stood vertically without the stand? Not sure whether I need to buy the official one or just do without...

1. Don't think there's any headsets that will work for 360 then PS4.

2. PS4 will stand fine vertically without a stand unless it's on a surface that moves when bumped into, like a wobby table or something.

Any recommendations on a PS3/PS4 headset? Currently looking at Tritton and Astro, but the latter seems ridiculously expensive and the former only sell wired rather than wireless.

Back
Top Bottom