• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Mantle Vs. Direct X Battlefield 4 Multiplayer Benchmarks

Caporegime
You know one thing I only just noticed now. Normally With Screen tear I have to look for it to notice it. But with Mantle I dont see it at all?

Watch this what I recorded can you see screen tear?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q4fR36ix04

Vsync off btw.

Normally i use vSync. i haven't bothered with Mantle and don't think i do see screen tearing.

anyone else?

Soldato
I'm running a similar system, but I left my sapphire r9 290 Tri x on 1000mhz and 1300mhz memory, and I play on 2550x1080, I get choppy gameplay on mantle 14.1 drivers, what seems to be the problem do u think?

try different resolution settings in BF4.
No issue with me but I use texture medium and mesh high and rest low on 5040x1050.

Caporegime
OP
I call it, the Mantle effect. :cool:

2700k @4.8ghz
290 Pro Crossfire @1000/1250
14.2 Beta
Battlefield 4
1440P Ultra Preset + x4AA
Conquest Large 64

Mantle vs DX11.1

Siege Of Shanghai - Empty Server

Mantle
Mantle.png

DX11.1
DX%201.png

Operation Firestorm Full 64 Man Server

Mantle
Mantle1.png

DX11.1
DX1.png

Caspian Border Full 64 Man Server

Mantle
Mantle2.png

DX11.1
DX2.png

Gulf Of Oman Full 64 Man Server

Mantle
Mantle3.png

DX11.1
DX3.png

AMD and Dice now need to fix the outstanding bugs and improve support for Tahiti and other 7xxx users. 290 performance is outstanding. The biggest bug for me is a large cpu spike that occurs every 10 minutes or so. This issue appears to be crossfire related and does not affect single 290 users as far as i know.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I call it, the Mantle effect. :cool:

2700k @4.8ghz
290 Pro Crossfire @1000/1250
14.2 Beta
Battlefield 4
1440P Ultra Preset + x4AA
Conquest Large 64

Mantle vs DX11.1

Siege Of Shanghai - Empty Server

Mantle
Mantle.png

DX11.1
DX%201.png

Operation Firestorm Full 64 Man Server

Mantle
Mantle1.png

DX11.1
DX1.png

Caspian Border Full 64 Man Server

Mantle
Mantle2.png

DX11.1
DX2.png

Gulf Of Oman Full 64 Man Server

Mantle
Mantle3.png

DX11.1
DX3.png

AMD and Dice now need to fix the outstanding bugs and improve support for Tahiti and other 7xxx users. 290 performance is outstanding. The biggest bug for me is a large cpu spike that occurs every 10 minutes or so. This issue appears to be crossfire related and does not affect single 290 users as far as i know.

Impressive results over DX even with a 4.8Ghz i7 :)

Soldato
I went with the R9 290 as I'd read it was better bang for buck than the 780, annoyingly though I got one of the early Powercolor PCS+ which I think has a faulty GPU as I'm pretty sure mine is from the first batch with the mining issues. Haven't built the new rig to test it yet though so it's still all packaged up, thinking about sending it back and getting a 780, mostly because I want a 1440p 144hz monitor and the Asus G-Sync one coming soon is looking like the best bet, and it'd be a bit silly to have a G-Sync monitor with an AMD card..

ive just recieved a pcs+ 290 what faults are they having??

Caporegime
OP
ive just recieved a pcs+ 290 what faults are they having??

They don't have any faults. I think hes talking about when Gibbo tested two cards for mining and they were found to be faulty. He since tested more while mining and they worked fine.

Hows the card? Looks a nice solid brick the PCS.

Caporegime
What you talking about? Bf4 is max fps 200 meaning hard locked by the engine.
So yeah it was uncapped, the reason I put uncapped.

What's the next thing you must complain about?

think about it how its worded its sounds as if you unlocked the fps you have as it is engine locked to 200. that was the point. the cards cant get close to maintaining that fps so kind of a false statement. would be interesting to see what cards if any can keep 200 all time (impossible :p)

Soldato
They don't have any faults. I think hes talking about when Gibbo tested two cards for mining and they were found to be faulty. He since tested more while mining and they worked fine.

hi got it yesterday but still in the BOX I know Im slow but busy at work.

Must say it does feel very heavy compared to my msi 290x game will install it when I get home tonight and report back

Associate

He tested more from a different batch (carton?) - Gibbo said the early ones had faulty GPUs but didn't show any problems in gaming, only mining.

Nope, because the BIOS has not changed, it just seems the first 2-3 cards we checked were from a carton and the GPU's are faulty and mining picks it up.

Obviously mining is far more stressful on a card than gaming or benchmarking and showed it up.

Tested a few today, no issues, so if they pass over-night testing, I shall update this thread. :)

I sent mine back but mine was from the Today Only deal which was the first stock they had afaik, they seem to be fine now.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
matt are you staying on the new drivers or going back after testing like last lot?

Staying, very happy with 14.2, but then they've been specially optimised for 290 users. They ain't perfect, but drivers rarely are. I think Tahiti and 7xxx users are due more Mantle performance optimizations on the next driver set, bout 2+ weeks away. Worth trying them though to see how they go for you.

Soldato
Posted this in the AMD drivers section, so sorry for ducplication.

Oh dear... well looks like I['m one of the few who finds Mantle BAD. Was hoping for some serious FPS/smoothness.. adn this is my findings.

Switching between DX11 and Mantle, on various levels, Shangai/Dawnbreaker/Caspian... I get massive CPU spiking in Mantle to the point that the game is jumping/jerking... Igave it a minute to ensure all textures loaded etc etc but to no avail, it runs badly on my machine. Shame, as they specifically state that 4 GPU's are catered for... switching back to DX11 and it's same old solid performance but smoother, I think they have the frame thing sorted and plays very smooth... No matter what I do, I can't get Mantle to run smoothly...

On the graph to analyse the performance, normally the GPU's are literally smooth with no peaks, then as soon as CPU spikes, the GPU's go mental... so not what I was expected, I expected Mantle to stop the CPU spiking thus making the GPU's behave nicely!

Anyone else got 4 GPU's and are they playing ball?

EDIT: Also, 75% of the time with Mantle enabled, the game just won't load
sits there saying I'm in the server, then basically just not responds. I have to delete the profile, lose all my key bindings to be able to get back in and get to DX11 again... to me, BETA means this kinda thing shouldn't happen as it's a basic prerequisite.

Last edited:

Asa

Asa

Associate
Staying, very happy with 14.2, but then they've been specially optimised for 290 users. They ain't perfect, but drivers rarely are. I think Tahiti and 7xxx users are due more Mantle performance optimizations on the next driver set, bout 2+ weeks away. Worth trying them though to see how they go for you.

What do you play?

I downloaded the drivers but read here that the v-sync/crossfire issue is still part of the package, so I haven't installed them. Now BF4 has started crashing, so I've got a little extra motivation to try the update but I'd be curious to know what games you play that don't exhibit terrible terrible screen tearing.

Caporegime
OP
What do you play?

I downloaded the drivers but read here that the v-sync/crossfire issue is still part of the package, so I haven't installed them. Now BF4 has started crashing, so I've got a little extra motivation to try the update but I'd be curious to know what games you play that don't exhibit terrible terrible screen tearing.

Currently im only playing Battlefield 4 and i don't get screen tearing with vsync off in this title, so its not an issue. If i needed to use Vsync in BF4 I'd use either 13.11 Beta 8 or 13.11 Beta 2 and disable frame pacing in CCC. :)

Soldato
I might add a few DX benchmarks tonight. What are most people using? I don't think there's any point me adding Tri SLI comparisons to Mantle. Will do a few dual card runs and see what the current state of play is with latest drivers and build.

Associate
Dunno if this is the right place for this, but i need help interpreting the graph in bf4. (Am using Mantle btw)

I notice going from the bottom to the top of the staircase showed different fps and slight stuttering at the top.

Here is the bottom:
2i9jj1v.png
And the top (you can see the bottom of the staircase in the graph):

5n7ora.png

IT looks to me like at the top my little 2600k isn't enough to tame the 290's, and is cpu limited, even with mantle, is that right?

Someone please enlighten me!

Caporegime
OP
Are you sure you're running Mantle there? Looks like DX to me but i can't be sure. Type Render.DrawScreenInfo 1 and hit enter in the console before taking the screenshots. I assume you're using 14.2 beta?

Back
Top Bottom