• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmmm has it been posted before?

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/search.php?searchid=21520350

Yes, yes it has.

I agree. I feel like the GTX 970 that I bought 2 weeks ago was mis-advertised. I really am considering sending it back and getting an R9 290.

this seems almost entirely a sli issue at the moment. I don't feel uncomfortable about mine at all but i only have one.

There are games suffering now and it's only going to get worse as game makers change over to next gen consoles. A few games now could be any decent game in the next year. We are not all made of money and buy every single card that arrives. Some of us buy a card to last a year or 2.

I guess what i am saying is a man sitting with 4xTitan/290x/gtx980 may not care as much as a guy that saved for a gtx970 that is now not what he thought he bought.

Actually i think the situation is quite the opposite. Look at all the testing so far - it's all sli users having issues. I think single cards will be fine for quite some time to come - i recon we'll run out of gpu power before the ram becomes an issue but we'll see.

Last edited:
My bad, ROP's today are tied to the Memory Controllers anyway not the TMU's - so it seems to me that reviewers have simply assumed GTX970 was 64 ROP's based on the fact that GTX970 had 4GB RAM.

No if you read Nvidia's relase on this issue they say that the reviews were actually told by the PR team that it had 64 ROP's...

A says this was an error in the reviewer’s guide and a misunderstanding between the engineering team and the technical PR team on how the architecture itself functioned.

So stop blaming the review sites, this is all on Nvidia.

Also why did the highly intelligent Nvidia employees that created the chip not notice and flag it up to management when review places were saying 64 ROP's and not 56?

Nvidia hire thousands of people and people are expected to believe that not a single one of them noticed how every site was misreporting specs and yet didn't say a word to anyone?

The only reason Nvidia are talking about this is because they've been caught out.

Can garauntee if this had been something AMD had pulled off the usual Nvidia crowd on here would be having a field day. To be fair they haven't really been trying to defend this from an Nvidia either, I think it's upset the enthusiast community as a whole.

Seen a lot of Nvidia owners state distrust of the company now from this and state they would prefer a refund and to move to an AMD card.

I think the whole episode has lost Nvidia some trust with some buyers but overall I still think they will get past this relatively unscathed as they still have the current better products on the market, arguably more expensive but in many scenarios still the better product.

The stage is set though if AMD can deliver a truly brilliant product I think they will gain a lot of customers that previously would normally only buy Nvidia

I see but they also say the following:

Before people complain about the ROP count difference as a performance bottleneck, keep in mind that the 13 SMMs in the GTX 970 can only output 52 pixels/clock and the seven segments of 8 ROPs each (56 total) can handle 56 pixels/clock. The SMMs are the bottleneck, not the ROPs.

So even if GTX970 was 64 ROP's it wouldn't make any difference to performance because the SMM's are the bottleneck.

Well, mine has just been boxed up ready to RMA tomorrow. The RMA was pre this fault/problem what ever you want to call it but this was the final nail for me.

Shame, the Infinity was a nice Card but one thing I hate is being mislead.

Good Job i kept my 7970....

No if you read Nvidia's relase on this issue they say that the reviews were actually told by the PR team that it had 64 ROP's...

So stop blaming the review sites, this is all on Nvidia.

Also why did the highly intelligent Nvidia employees that created the chip not notice and flag it up to management when review places were saying 64 ROP's and not 56?

Nvidia hire thousands of people and people are expected to believe that not a single one of them noticed how every site was misreporting specs and yet didn't say a word to anyone?

The only reason Nvidia are talking about this is because they've been caught out.

Amen.

The damn Nvidia fanboys cannot understand that they got cheated, NV misrepresented a product they bought it and not they are trying to justify it.

Any other company doing so, there should be smashed to pieces, with multiple class actions getting prepared, and many refunds demanded.

Just a heads up incase anyone hasnt noticed yet. Anything at all wrong with your computer, and I mean anything..... BSOD, no sound from your speakers, monitor with weird banding, files going missing etc It's the gtx 970's fault, its cause vram usage is over 3.5gb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom