• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Caporegime
OP
Soldato
290X 4GB cards at 4K? You need to lower supersampling or use 8GB cards. The game needs more than 4gb at 4K maximum settings. Even using DirectX i get better minimums with the 8gb cards. :)

No. I'm not using 290X's and i'm not using 4k :p. I'm trying to get a benchmark for the Thief benchmarking thread, so far failing miserably.

My cards:
VTX3D R9 280X
XFX R9 280X DD Black

Thief settings:

18b0867421b27f09c4517069d7b034dd.png

a79345f5e264a66532507b74b4904a6d.png

Last edited:
Associate
@AMDMatt

Currently Far Cry 4 shows negative crossfire scaling only when entering some towns. These towns are often populated. This could be a factor. I've had various 290X CFX and 295x2 owners test this over at overclock.net. They all got the same result. SMAA also causes a screen burn effect after sleeping or looking at the world map. Have AMD been able to replicate and fix these issues? If yes, are these issues fixed under the new FC4 CFX profile?

I also spotted that Core #2 is pegged at 99 usage. Disabling and enabling that core via the affinity options in task manager resolves that, and boosts fps in these populated towns. Will the FC4 profile bring any efficiency improvements to the overhead and latency in this game?

1080p, Vsync OFF, Ultra, AFR Friendly, HBAO+, SMAA, God Rays Enhanced, Tree and Fur OFF, Soft Shadows OFF.

Thank you.

3930K 4.5GHz
290X Crossfire
2400Mhz DDR3 CL10 4x4GB
Gigabyte X79 UP4 MB
Seasonic X1250 Gold PSU
Full WC Loop

System builder and C++ programmer.

Last edited:
Associate
Hey Matt,

Somehow when I run the Thief benchmark with Mantle Crossfire, the game freezes and the driver crashes with the 'the display driver has stopped responding' error.

This was at 1080p.

Any ideas?

Associate
HI Matt,

I just tried to use Mantle in Dragon Age, however mantle causes very very long loading time. When I change it back to DX11 then everything is back to normal. And mantle stops msi afterburner showing the fps / other info as well.
Why is this happening?
Cheers

Caporegime
OP
@AMDMatt

Currently Far Cry 4 shows negative crossfire scaling only when entering some towns. These towns are often populated. This could be a factor. I've had various 290X CFX and 295x2 owners test this over at overclock.net. They all got the same result. SMAA also causes a screen burn effect after sleeping or looking at the world map. Have AMD been able to replicate and fix these issues? If yes, are these issues fixed under the new FC4 CFX profile?

I also spotted that Core #2 is pegged at 99 usage. Disabling and enabling that core via the affinity options in task manager resolves that, and boosts fps in these populated towns. Will the FC4 profile bring any efficiency improvements to the overhead and latency in this game?

1080p, Vsync OFF, Ultra, AFR Friendly, HBAO+, SMAA, God Rays Enhanced, Tree and Fur OFF, Soft Shadows OFF.

Thank you.

3930K 4.5GHz
290X Crossfire
2400Mhz DDR3 CL10 4x4GB
Gigabyte X79 UP4 MB
Seasonic X1250 Gold PSU
Full WC Loop

System builder and C++ programmer.

I'm afraid i don't know, but what i do know is we have a proper Crossfire profile and improved performance for this title in our next driver update. If these issues still occur after that, then please let me know and I'll pass it on.

Hey Matt,

Somehow when I run the Thief benchmark with Mantle Crossfire, the game freezes and the driver crashes with the 'the display driver has stopped responding' error.

This was at 1080p.

Any ideas?

Sounds like an unstable gpu overclock. Does it occur with both gpus at stock clocks?

HI Matt,

I just tried to use Mantle in Dragon Age, however mantle causes very very long loading time. When I change it back to DX11 then everything is back to normal. And mantle stops msi afterburner showing the fps / other info as well.
Why is this happening?
Cheers

Try my User.Cfg file from Battlefield 4. This should enable an on screen display for Mantle and allow monitoring of Fps and cpu+gpu frame times. Simply place it in the Dragon Age.exe folder.

I've noticed and reported the longer loading times too, but this may have something to do with all the caching that Mantle does before the map loads. This is not present in DX which is why it loads much quicker, but is not always so smooth.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The benchmark thread wants those settings. I have the same issue ... crashes on start with Mantle, it's fine in DX11.

Works fine for me in Mantle

I even took a photo of my TV because the thread says you can't screenshot Mantle stuff, but that has changed now apparently...

Thief_MantleCrossfire_VincentHannah.jpg

Edit - That's the 2160p (4k) benchmark, by the way.

Back
Top Bottom