Samsung LS34E790C - Curved 34" 21:9 super-wide

Soldato
Just got mine yesterday and instaled it now. Love it so far.

One question - which kind of connection should I be using for optimal use / refresh rate etc?

Right now i'm just going with HDMI.

Associate
Standard response time - my bad. Fastest setting is just plain wrong. In DayZ (on the corrugated tin roofs), panning would cause definite ghosting. In Star Citizen (unoptimised atm) on fastest, it was very noticeable (tried to photograph it but turned out crap). On standard response time however, it is still marginally there, however the game has a fixed motion blur 'on' setting which would clearly exacerbate the effect. I just loaded up Team Fortress - as it has simple graphics it was uber fast and responsive and no ghosting whatsoever.

I'm going to test out a few more games with motion blur 'on' to see if I can see the effect again - but right now, I realise that it was my mistake to have been using 'fastest' out of the box (that's what it was set at!) and that ghosting clearly is a non issue now.

I tend to think that the early forum reviewers of this monitor that complained of ghosting, must have been using HDMI (which also causes the effect) and/or the fastest response setting. Probably the latter.

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/testsoftware/ghosting.html

BTW - anybody checked out the Magicbright cinema mode? My eyes!!!!

Soldato
Use display port, HDMI only supports 50Hz!

Ok so I think I need a new cable then. Mine only had HDMI and a HDMI > displayport adparter BUT for the other kind of HDMI cable with the 'edge' - if that makes sense.

I also have another 'issue' I have SLI 7850's and only the second appear to have displayports. Any big issue with using the lower card for display (it's slightly underpowered compared to the primary)

Any input? :)

Associate
I've never ever used SLI yet (may need to at this resolution at some point), but I'm extremely sure only one cable is needed to connect to a monitor and I'd assume from the GPU in the x16 slot nearest the CPU :)

The LG came with a great screen splitting app, but this panel doesn't. I'm using Windock atm: works well, but it's not as good or fully featured as the LG effort. Anybody got any good suggestions?

Soldato
Actually I have crossfire, I mixed them up. I think all monitors must be connected to the primary card as when I try to connect ti to the secondary card (the 7850 that has displayport) monitor doesn't work.

Soldato
hmmm im curious how much this ghosting is obvious as a couple of you are mentioning it.
I didn't see any on the LG and that would put me off buying this monitor especially for the price.

Associate
hmmm im curious how much this ghosting is obvious as a couple of you are mentioning it.
I didn't see any on the LG and that would put me off buying this monitor especially for the price.

Check my comments from the previous page: basically, ghosting appears to be caused by one or both of these factors.

• Using HDMI and not displayport (check the US Amazon.com reviews of this monitor)
  • Using the 'Fastest' response setting in the OSD. Standard works well.

If anybody's got a game installed that can enable motion blur, then please report back - that'll show off any ghosting, if at all. Otherwise, I think we can let this issue be.

I still don't think this monitor is as fast as the LG however, but it's no slouch either.

Last edited:
Associate
@Nexus18 - thanks for the links.

IPS can blend colours so much better though, irregardless of measurements and specs: and that's what I think makes IPS more liquid in it's movement. At least that's my personal impression - and that will of course always vary between people and their own perceptions in this case :)

Last edited:
Associate
I really wanted to like this monitor, but compared to my existing Dell 3008, colours were washed-out and subject to banding and posterization. This was most telling on the main menu screen for Elite, with the rotating planet looking very pixelated on all but the darkest settings. Nail in the coffin was on an entire blue screen, I could see a 1cm wide band in bottom half of screen which was a darker color.

Whilst absolute black's might have been a little better than the Dell, perceived contrast was lower as the colours lacked any punch.

So with the equivalent dell not available anywhere, I will just stock with my 3008.

Associate
Having just finished calibrating it, it looks great.

The blacks are some of the deepest I've seen on a monitor, ever. Colours look great, at least as good as my old Dell IPS monitor. I've only calibrated it with an old Spyder3Pro so I'm sure someone with something a bit newer could do an even better job of making sure it's bang-on.

Also, it was soooooo bright out of the box, I had to turn the brightness down to about 50/100 to get the brightness down to the required level!

any chance of getting your setting ?

Associate

@Global_Inferno
many thanks have installed your ICC what a difference, totally different monitor :D colours look so much deeper - thank you

what's your brightness set at (currently 40 for me) and any other relevant OSD setting you can think of i'm using it mainly for gaming.
i assume i should have gaming mode on always, response time currently set to faster

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom