Samsung LS34E790C - Curved 34" 21:9 super-wide

Soldato
I really wanted to like this monitor, but compared to my existing Dell 3008, colours were washed-out and subject to banding and posterization. This was most telling on the main menu screen for Elite, with the rotating planet looking very pixelated on all but the darkest settings. Nail in the coffin was on an entire blue screen, I could see a 1cm wide band in bottom half of screen which was a darker colour.

Faulty unit?

I take it nobody else who owns one has experienced similar issues? I presume you've connected it using the displayport input?

Associate
Yep, connected using DP 1.2, also tried HDMI. I was hoping for this unit to surpass the Dell, as I love deep black's from my Pioneer kuro plasma, but the Samsung handling of colours was awful. Whilst this unit did have a fault, it failed to live up to my expectation, so am not trying another one. One positive is that it did handle motion well with no ghosting.

Associate
Standard response time - my bad. Fastest setting is just plain wrong. In DayZ (on the corrugated tin roofs), panning would cause definite ghosting. In Star Citizen (unoptimised atm) on fastest, it was very noticeable (tried to photograph it but turned out crap). On standard response time however, it is still marginally there, however the game has a fixed motion blur 'on' setting which would clearly exacerbate the effect. I just loaded up Team Fortress - as it has simple graphics it was uber fast and responsive and no ghosting whatsoever.

I'm going to test out a few more games with motion blur 'on' to see if I can see the effect again - but right now, I realise that it was my mistake to have been using 'fastest' out of the box (that's what it was set at!) and that ghosting clearly is a non issue now.

I tend to think that the early forum reviewers of this monitor that complained of ghosting, must have been using HDMI (which also causes the effect) and/or the fastest response setting. Probably the latter.

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/testsoftware/ghosting.html

BTW - anybody checked out the Magicbright cinema mode? My eyes!!!!

You mentioned you were using the 'Fastest' response time setting. Usually on Samsung models that produces overshoot (inverse ghosting) as the acceleration is too aggressive. I'd recommend spending some time using the 'Faster' setting and see how you go.

Holee ****! I got the monitor on thursday and have been having MAJOR second thoughts due the ghosting, but reading your posts made me realize I had the response time on "fastest" all the time which made many games ghost A LOT. I've been using standard and faster now and the picture is sooo much better!

I had to register just to say A BIG THANK YOU!!!!!

Last edited:
Soldato
ive been having a play on the weekend and its a keeper, I used Global_Inferno's icc profile and the picture improved but I still felt the colours lacked punch so I opened ccc to have a fiddle and first thing I tried was lowering brightness and boom the picture looked fantastic.

2015-02-16150249_zps4b170a8b.jpg

2015-02-16151934_zps49d07f7d.jpg

Soldato
Holee ****! I got the monitor on thursday and have been having MAJOR second thoughts due the ghosting, but reading your posts made me realize I had the response time on "fastest" all the time which made many games ghost A LOT. I've been using standard and faster now and the picture is sooo much better!

I had to register just to say A BIG THANK YOU!!!!!

Always a pleasure. :)

Associate
ive been having a play on the weekend and its a keeper, I used Global_Inferno's icc profile and the picture improved but I still felt the colours lacked punch so I opened ccc to have a fiddle and first thing I tried was lowering brightness and boom the picture looked fantastic.

2015-02-16150249_zps4b170a8b.jpg

2015-02-16151934_zps49d07f7d.jpg

what did you lower the brightness to i have Global_Inferno's icc profile - and a brightness level of 40

Associate
FYI my brightness is set to 47/100 with that ICC profile.

I have a better profile (more accurate calibration) that I'll upload in a min.

EDIT: My gaming rig's colour calibration: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2fsdcuaw5mlhgfr/The Headphone Guy's Samsung.icm?dl=0

colour appears even deeper, didn't think it was possible to improve on the old one but you have very nice..

btw what are the following settings ?

game mode: always on
Response Time: Faster

many thanks for your time

Soldato
a few people seem disapointed with this monitor but i urge them to try calibrated settings, ive had 3 samsung monitors in the past and out of the box settings have all been bad, i half expected it with this monitor

Associate
Well, I'm glad that everyone is getting results that they like, however I personally have Game Mode turned off; all it seemed to do is lighten the dark area's of the screen so that you can "see" better into darker corners, giving you a slight advantage in competitive gaming (but reduce contrast massively).

As I said I have brightness set to 47, contrast 75, sharpness 60, response time "faster" and gamma "Mode 1".

Soldato
What's wrong? +8k wallpaper looks amazing

I think it is partly to do with him comparing to a Dell 3008WFP with its wide colour gamut and lack of effective sRGB emulation mode. It displays exceptionally saturated (over-saturated for most content) colours and the Samsung would look 'faded' in comparison simply as the colours are displayed more accurately.

Back
Top Bottom