• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
Hey guys long time nvidia owner here. Really tempted by a 290x or do you think it's worth waiting for the 3 series now? I'm hearing amd has really stepped up performance with driver updates? Looking forward to keeping an eye on updates here :)

The AMD Omega drivers are brilliant IMO, although personally I never really had an issue with AMD drivers previously.

The 290X is fantastic value for money right now, what res do you game at? The 3XX cards will be awesome I would think, but will obviously be fairly expensive at release.

Associate
AMD drivers are excellent. Their multi GPU support is slow, but I think recent games like Far Cry 4 have conspired to make them look worse on that front than they really are.

Caporegime
OP
That's all I need it for. 4K on a 40 inch screen needs it.

Especially in this game with all it's straight jaggy lines!

Why do I get the feeling I am going to be disappointed?

Sorry Eyetrip, i don't think there will be an Elite Dangerous profile in these drivers. I've personally requested it myself though, so this may get added in a future driver update.

I'm not familiar with that game, but do any of the custom profiles work in the meantime? I'm told that AFR Friendly works quite well in terms of FPS and scaling, but some of the game menus and planet textures can flicker a little bit.

Last edited:
Associate
Hey guys long time nvidia owner here. Really tempted by a 290x or do you think it's worth waiting for the 3 series now? I'm hearing amd has really stepped up performance with driver updates? Looking forward to keeping an eye on updates here :)

if you can snag on cheap I would........I love my pcs+ 290..its a beast :D building a semi new machine around it as it doesn't completely fit in my old case LOL.......old system will goto the boy...

Soldato
Sorry Eyetrip, i don't think there will be an Elite Dangerous profile in these drivers. I've personally requested it myself though, so this may get added in a future driver update.

I'm not familiar with that game, but do any of the custom profiles work in the meantime? I'm told that AFR Friendly works quite well in terms of FPS and scaling, but some of the menu and planet textures can flicker a little bit.

Ha! hahahaha! Hhhahhahahahahahhaahhahahahahaha!

What a bloody joke!

May as well have stuck with the 3.5GB 970's. At least they worked together, even if settings had to be dropped a fair bit.

I now have two 8GB 290x's which have pretty much just been bricks in my system - apart from the occasional game of BF4.

Soldato
I found Dying Light to run nicely on a single 290X on 14.12, so long as you disabled the Nvidia effects.

Were you having any specific issues?

night time sucks for me on the 290 it goes all contrasty as soon as you turn your torch on it fixes it doesn't happen for the entire night either. For most of the night its fine but for parts i can barely see for just black clouds of contrast

Caporegime
OP
night time sucks for me on the 290 it goes all contrasty as soon as you turn your torch on it fixes it doesn't happen for the entire night either. For most of the night its fine but for parts i can barely see for just black clouds of contrast

Could you get me a screenshot of that please TwsT, that would be really helpful as I don't see that on my setup.

Soldato
I found Dying Light to run nicely on a single 290X on 14.12, so long as you disabled the Nvidia effects.

Were you having any specific issues?

You may do. But I just tried to add it and it hasn't got a profile! and if it hasn't got a amd profile how will amd make the game\app run better on their cards?

Sorry Matt but the AMD drivers are a joke. We never know what profiles are active until we try to add a game\app.

Caporegime
OP
You may do. But I just tried to add it and it hasn't got a profile! and if it hasn't got a amd profile how will amd make the game\app run better on their cards?

Sorry Matt but the AMD drivers are a joke. We never know what profiles are active until we try to add a game\app.

A Crossfire profile has nothing to do with single gpu optimisations deuse.

We're right where we should be in this game single gpu performance wise, considering it's a Nvidia GameWorks title. :)

14.12 Omega Drivers

hon2S3S.png

O3KckO4.png

UjTwIf7.png

AiUFQPT.png

Last edited:
Soldato

Profiles should have no bearing on a single card, they are for multi GPU setups.

Soldato
Profiles should have no bearing on a single card, they are for multi GPU setups.

So how come NV can use their profiles to get games working better?

deuse have you put the view distance down?
there use to be a dying light thread with some tips :)

Unless these 3-4 month in the making Catalyst Drivers offer something good I'm off back to the Green team.

Soldato
deuse have you put the view distance down?
there use to be a dying light thread with some tips :)

I am waiting for the crossfire profile before playing DL but have heard that maxing the view distance has a significant impact on performance. Do you see much visual difference between having it set at 100% vs say 50%?

Back
Top Bottom