• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
I wonder too elmarko if the threat of LAB+SNP kept CON voters from swinging to UKIP. Might explain some of the swing from LAB to CON.

A Conservative majority will be very bad news for this country. At the very least it's easily the weakest mandate of a government ever. A Commons majority with only 37% of the popular vote is a recipe for dissatisfaction.

Nice to see the BBC nailed the exit poll. Also nice to see Farrage not winning his seat and throwing in the towel right now.

Soldato
The bile on the guardian today is comical.

Its opinion pieces at all Hipster luvvies bitterly consoling each other at how stupid the UK is for the way it votes.

Labour's only hope is to return to its grassroots and ditch the Islington ruling elite that have nothing in common with 99% of their party's membership.

Soldato
interesting night it seems.

shake my head at the fptp system though.

for example snp poll 5% of the vote 50 MPs SDLP poll 0.3% of the vote and get 3 MPs

UKIP pull in 12.6% and have 1 MP

personally would prefer to see even a split system IE have FPTP for a local representative then the remainder of MPs elected off a list system similar to the AMS used in Scotland and Wales.

Actually you're twisting facts here, the SNP won over 50% in several seats and as their vote is concentrated in one area the result is entirely valid.

As for the rest of the seats - well that's what I've been saying all along, UKIP will do badly as their support is spread out around the country.

I notice you've mentioned SNP but not the tories who have around 35% of the vote in the UK but will likely have over 50% of the MPs, again down to concentration of supporters.

Heard about Ed Balls losing his seat on the way into work - delighted, icing on the cake for an SNP supporter like me. Labour destroyed in Scotland so they'll have to bring in fresh blood for the next elections, if Jim Murphy somehow doesn't go then they'll do no better next time though.

Caporegime
interesting night it seems.

shake my head at the fptp system though.

for example snp poll 5% of the vote 50 MPs SDLP poll 0.3% of the vote and get 3 MPs

UKIP pull in 12.6% and have 1 MP

personally would prefer to see even a split system IE have FPTP for a local representative then the remainder of MPs elected off a list system similar to the AMS used in Scotland and Wales.

one thing that would be interesting is if we ditched house of lords.

then say had local mp's elected for each small area like now that go into the house of commons.

then a set of "governors" or whatever you want to call them that are done on proportional representation that cover larger areas, and make up the house of lords replacement.

Soldato
I think what happened is this:

* conservatives stuck to their known ground, providing the safe vote in terms of "you know what you're going to get".
* labour publicly sent out large numbers of "new ideas" to capture votes but then ended up missing the core message (why is labour "labour" in days of old) and put people off by the whimsical and very public obvious vote grabbing new ideas (rather than being based on their core values).
* lib dems failed to get any message out - no ideas, no core message and only the existing coalition memories as a side partner.

The UKIP vote by the scottish was funny - everyone knew that SNP would win (especially after delivering the scottish people the experience of a referendum), but those that were angry with english voted UKIP to pee them off and it's also not english labour or english conservative :D

I noted that my parents area in the wirral shifted from conservative to labour. Here in surrey it's still conservative but I don't believe that it's entirely down to conservative's own manifesto but because the others were so damn bad.

Back
Top Bottom