• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
Interesting election, obviously not the result I wanted but glad that UKIP will unlikely hold any power.

A few factors seems to have played out on the final day which resulted in this unexpected result.

• The collapse of the Liberal-Democrat vote.
This was to a much greater degree than expected & due to how in most seats the second party was the Conservatives or how small the margins were in the last election resulted in heavily splitting the opposing vote (for example, in my consistency both at around 20%+ with the Conservatives in the low 30's.
  • A very strong night for the SNP
Again, the only loser here in this regard was Labour from a better than expected result for the SNP. This may put another referendum higher on the agenda, or at least further devolution.
  • Above average performance for the Conservatives.
It seems the share of the vote has remained consistent - with them picking up a good number of Liberal Democrat votes in the south of England. Judging by the poll data support since the last election had ebbed, but the results so far imply that many have returned on the night - voting for what they believe to be the 'safer option'.
  • While gaining seats in the UK, not enough to off-set decimation in Scotland.
Simply an average Labour performance in England & Wales, with a terrible performance north of the border. They needed to make significant gains in a number of key seats - but as Lib-dem support in some areas resulting in a net Conservative gain, this was more difficult than expected.

The two key aspects in this election that I believed influenced the final results are I believe,

1. The perception regarding the cause of the economic crisis, while this is clearly the result of external factors - the view that Labour are responsible for the economic conditions we live in today & would exasperate it further would have caused people to opt for the 'safer choice'.

2. Edward Miliband, he's fundamentally unappealing & lacks any real charisma. While these shouldn't matter for an election, appearance & imagine go a long way to hoovering up swing voters.

Caporegime
What? The decision on whether to leave the EU is up to our government. The Tories will give us an explicit choice - Labour weren't going to.

You misread, i think the vote will be similar to the Scottish referendum in that if the EU do something insurmountably stupid, we will leave.

Soldato
UKIP are by far the biggest losers from the FPTP system this year, they got twice as many votes as the SNP (56 seats) and about 30% more than the LD (8 seats) yet only got one seat. The greens are also big losers in it as well.

At least UKIP can console themselves that they are by far the third largest party in the UK by supporter base, just a shame for them they couldn't convert it into seats...

Which is exactly what we have been saying these last few months to the 'lalalalalalala I've got my fingers in my ears and not listening' UKIP supporters.

Soldato
The bile on the guardian today is comical.

Its opinion pieces at all Hipster luvvies bitterly consoling each other at how stupid the UK is for the way it votes.

Soldato
35isumb.jpg

Soldato
labours campaign was terrible. Make Islamaphobia illegal? How many votes is that going to get you? Put pledges into stone but then say they dont have to follow them so then whats the point in putting them into stone? How exactly would they have succeded on the control immigration pledge if we are still in the EU? No referendum on the EU? It was all terrible. labour chose the wrong Miliband. It was obvious 5 years ago.

Soldato
In depth industrial base Ken? After the last labour government presided over the largest decline in manufacturing in history?

Caporegime
one thing that was raised on an other forum and seems quite apt is the language/behavior of the left is farm more foul and thuggish than the right.

Soldato
interesting night it seems.

shake my head at the fptp system though.

for example snp poll 5% of the vote 50 MPs SDLP poll 0.3% of the vote and get 3 MPs

UKIP pull in 12.6% and have 1 MP

personally would prefer to see even a split system IE have FPTP for a local representative then the remainder of MPs elected off a list system similar to the AMS used in Scotland and Wales.

Soldato
Glad to no longer be living in a UKIP constituency. Goodbye Reckless...let's hope Farage isn't far behind :)

About time. Now we can kick out who we want when we want.

If you think that's a valid justification for scrapping the Human Rights Act, you really need to have a word with yourself.

Associate
I cannot believe people still vote Tory, they borrow more money than Labour and they are the same neo liberals as Labour - they are NOT conservative. Not only that but the huge amounts of peadophiles in that party which has been covered up for decades and people still vote for them? Terrible people.

Caporegime
If only Scotland didn't have such a disproportionate amount of MPs for its population.

5% of the votes, 56 seats.

I thiight that but they are actually not that far off the number of seats per vote that the conservatives are on.

Agree with the sentiment though, but the same can be said about Wales and Northern Ireland. We really need fairer boundaries.

Back
Top Bottom