• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
FALSE, borrowing to grow the economy always reduces deficits faster than paying it down directly. It's really simple economics.

Yeah so simple you neglect the fact that if the growth is smaller than the deficit, you still have to borrow :rolleyes: If you still spend more than you make, you have to borrow, it really is that simple.

Caporegime
Labour only have themselves to blame for this result. Their outrageous attacks on the SNP have backfired spectacularly, and as the threat of Scottish power rose, Tory voters turned out in their millions to counteract it.

As a result, the SNP has destroyed Labour in Scotland and the Tories have enjoyed a massive surge.

UKIP has picked up the protest vote (as expected) but that was never going to drag them out of political irrelevance.

Soldato
Actually you're twisting facts here, the SNP won over 50% in several seats and as their vote is concentrated in one area the result is entirely valid.

As for the rest of the seats - well that's what I've been saying all along, UKIP will do badly as their support is spread out around the country.

I notice you've mentioned SNP but not the tories who have around 35% of the vote in the UK but will likely have over 50% of the MPs, again down to concentration of supporters.

Heard about Ed Balls losing his seat on the way into work - delighted, icing on the cake for an SNP supporter like me. Labour destroyed in Scotland so they'll have to bring in fresh blood for the next elections, if Jim Murphy somehow doesn't go then they'll do no better next time though.

nothing sinister in it just those are the ones that really stand out. an MP for every 0.1% of the vote. just highlights the inconsistencies around the system.

as a Scotsman I very much doubt it matters a jot to me who's in no 10. Jimmy Krankie. is going to be pulling a lot of weight in Westminister over the life of this parliament and that means whatever happens we are going to be well looked after up here. Sad but true we have things pretty easy up here courtesy of things like the Barnett formula giving us an extra 20% per head on services but that's for another thread

Soldato
Good bye NHS, thank you for your long service and I'm sorry we couldn't defend you. It makes me deeply sad that we can afford to kill each other, yet we refuse to afford to help each other.

As Sir Tony Benn said:

“If you can have full employment by killing Germans, why can’t we have full employment by building hospitals, building schools?”

Soldato
I wonder too elmarko if the threat of LAB+SNP kept CON voters from swinging to UKIP. Might explain some of the swing from LAB to CON.

A Conservative majority will be very bad news for this country. At the very least it's easily the weakest mandate of a government ever. A Commons majority with only 37% of the popular vote is a recipe for dissatisfaction.

Nice to see the BBC nailed the exit poll. Also nice to see Farrage not winning his seat and throwing in the towel right now.

Labours share of the popular vote has been decreasing UK wide since Blair came to power.
His last victory had a lower share of the vote than the Tories have got today.

They rely so heavily on Scottish support that once it's gone, this is what you are left with.

Caporegime
Yep and imagine the whining and gnashing of teeth by you if he actually achieved it by cutting even further.

If he'd cut even further then he'd be even further away from his target. One thing I really wish the thickies of this country would learn is that managing the government's budget is nothing like managing a household budget :rolleyes:

Soldato
Labour only have themselves to blame for this result. Their outrageous attacks on the SNP have backfired spectacularly, and as the threat of Scottish power rose, Tory voters turned out in their millions to counteract it.

As a result, the SNP has destroyed Labour in Scotland and the Tories have enjoyed a massive surge.

UKIP has picked up the protest vote (as expected) but that was never going to drag them out of political irrelevance.

Labour were going to lose in England regardless of what happened in Scotland, they didn't have a credible plan or team. I'm sorry but I don't buy the whole "Scottish threat" thing, it was never, ever a reality. The SNP were going to have the same amount of influence regardless of who was in power, even now they'll be chairing some very influential committees in the commons, at a minimum.

However expect the SNP to get a kicking next time around if Labour in Scotland bring in new blood and if the SNP act like ***** at Westminster, they have not got a mandate to ask for another referendum and they don't have a mandate to act like a group of kids, if they do I've no doubt many people like myself will flip to labour or elsewhere in 2020.

Associate
nothing sinister in it just those are the ones that really stand out. an MP for every 0.1% of the vote. just highlights the inconsistencies around the system.

as a Scotsman I very much doubt it matters a jot to me who's in no 10. Jimmy Krankie. is going to be pulling a lot of weight in Westminister over the life of this parliament and that means whatever happens we are going to be well looked after up here. Sad but true we have things pretty easy up here courtesy of things like the Barnett formula giving us an extra 20% per head on services but that's for another thread

I'm curious as to how wee Jimmy is going to be pulling a lot of weight if there is a Con majority?

Back
Top Bottom