• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Suspended
Labour were never going to win with Ed Miliband as the public just don't like him, Lib Dems were always going to get punished for giving us a conservative government which is something most of their voters did not want.

Not that surprised that conservative are looking at a majority, it was never looking like Labour had a chance and I think people knew that and voted to stop the possibility of the SNP getting in which would have been a disaster.

Last edited:
Soldato
interesting night it seems.

shake my head at the fptp system though.

for example snp poll 5% of the vote 50 MPs SDLP poll 0.3% of the vote and get 3 MPs

UKIP pull in 12.6% and have 1 MP

personally would prefer to see even a split system IE have FPTP for a local representative then the remainder of MPs elected off a list system similar to the AMS used in Scotland and Wales.

My personal take is that the lower house should be smaller, party-based and elected using PR. We should then have an upper house of constituency MPs, elected by FPTP.

That way, people get to vote for the government that they want and we get to maintain that valuable link between MP and constituency. It would also be a nice reduction in workload - MPs in the lower house can focus on governance, while MPs in the upper house can focus on representing and serving their constituency.

Soldato
I hate recent Labour voters attitude, which is why I voted against them.

Apparently wanting to work and take care of your own kids makes you heartless.

Bunch of 20 something hipsters who have only been out of Uni for a few years and blame their inner city apartment costs on the government rather than move further out a bit... LIKE EVERYONE HAS TO!

Soldato
Labour were never going to win with Ed Miliband as the public just don't him, Lib Dems were always going to get punished with for giving us a conservative government which is something most of their voters did not want.

Not that surprised that conservative are looking at a majority, it was never looking like Labour had a chance and I think people knew that and voted to stop the possibility of the SNP getting in which would have been a disaster.

The lib dems vote is made up of disaffected members from both parties, you can tie their rise in vote share exactly in line with losses for con/lab.

There is no massive core lib dem vote, it's disaffected voters.

Soldato
I wonder who the Cons would have gone into coalition with if they didn't get the predicted majority. I suppose it has to be SNP right?

DUP are the obvious one, so after bitching about Labour potentially going into coalition with a small party nobody in England voted for, they'd do the same with one from N.I.

Soldato
I'm curious as to how wee Jimmy is going to be pulling a lot of weight if there is a Con majority?

Exactly. The SNP will have almost no influence in Westminster, because the Tories will hold a majority and most likely call upon DUP and perhaps even Lib Dem support when needed.

All this SNP vote has done is made Cameron the PM. He ought to thank them in their victory speech.

Hopefully Cameron is canny enough to say say 'No' to another referendum. The SNP do not have a mandate for another one so soon.

Soldato
My personal take is that the lower house should be smaller, party-based and elected using PR. We should then have an upper house of constituency MPs, elected by FPTP.

That way, people get to vote for the government that they want and we get to maintain that valuable link between MP and constituency. It would also be a nice reduction in workload - MPs in the lower house can focus on governance, while MPs in the upper house can focus on representing and serving their constituency.

It sounds a good idea, problem is you could end up with an upper house controlled by one party (or coalition) and a lower house controlled by another, and NOTHING gets done

I agree something needs to be done about it, but I've been saying that since I could first vote

Back
Top Bottom