• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

So here we go, just tested the new driver which was intended to fix the Fallout 4 flickering crossfire issues. Well I suppose I should give them credit for fixing it pretty quick, but what a ridiculous profile for it. Yes it's one thing having a crossfire profile, it's an entirely different thing if it's a complete shambles. I've never seen usage go up and down up and down up and down so much in any game, it's all over the shop floor. I get the same frame range using one card as I do using this profile for crossfire.

24833167135_4293892ca5_c.jpg

Last edited:
Tony are you running a 21:9 screen?
As far as I know you cant run crossfire in 21:9 mode because you can only run that mode correctly in borderless window mode which is very frustrating.

Tony are you running a 21:9 screen?
As far as I know you cant run crossfire in 21:9 mode because you can only run that mode correctly in borderless window mode which is very frustrating.

Haven't touched fallout 4 for ages but I'm pretty sure you can use fullscreen with 21.9 just fine, just need to mess with 4 config files.

I'm unsure if it's something to do with the last driver but in the past my temps have never exceeded 77 degrees in any game. Tomb Raider now has it at 82 degrees and my fans do not speed up showing a max of 28% according to gpu-z during the last gaming session.

With my Fury Tri-x I have never touched the fan profiles as it has been fine until now, Always under 77 as mentioned, In the past it speeds the fans up when it reaches 75 which always stops the temps from rising further by the time it reaches 77 degrees but the fan do not appear to be speeding up like they were doing in the past.

Tomb raider just pushes your cards harder than any other game i suspect, a few of us have mentioned it so far, my temps go way into the 50s when played for an extended amount of time, i noticed the same thing when i was downscaling 5k in gta, it was pushing my cards harder than normal. My normal 100% load temps in gta using native res are in the 40s.

So here we go, just tested the new driver which was intended to fix the Fallout 4 flickering crossfire issues. Well I suppose I should give them credit for fixing it pretty quick, but what a ridiculous profile for it. Yes it's one thing having a crossfire profile, it's an entirely different thing if it's a complete shambles. I've never seen usage go up and down up and down up and down so much in any game, it's all over the shop floor. I get the same frame range using one card as I do using this profile for crossfire.

I think you need to get rid of your crossfire setup, you dont seem to get on well with it :) get them traded in for a 980 or something.

Tomb raider just pushes your cards harder than any other game i suspect, a few of us have mentioned it so far, my temps go way into the 50s when played for an extended amount of time, i noticed the same thing when i was downscaling 5k in gta, it was pushing my cards harder than normal. My normal 100% load temps in gta using native res are in the 40s.

You might be right, The fans do not seem to be speeding up much though, Unfortunately I did gauge them beforehand to know if they went further than 25% but I had used them with demanding titles like Dying light, SOM & GTAV previously and never seen it pass 77. I'll have to test some of those titles again.

Well I have uninstalled MSI AB and RT now.

Now I use trixx for undervolting my gpu and keeping an eye on hardware usage (shame I can't get an overlay for this though) and steam for screenshots + FPS overlay.

Nice being able to see VRM temps with trixx too.

I haven't tried this myself yet but I don't see why you couldn't run Rivatuner Statistics for the overlay stuff without MSI AB.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/rtss-rivatuner-statistics-server-download.html

Haven't touched fallout 4 for ages but I'm pretty sure you can use fullscreen with 21.9 just fine, just need to mess with 4 config files.

Iv checked out the 21:9 fixes and they all involve using borederless window mode to get it to display correctly so there's no way to use crossfire and get 21:9 to be perfect as far as I can see.

I think you need to get rid of your crossfire setup, you dont seem to get on well with it :) get them traded in for a 980 or something.

We have a love hate relationship. It's insanely fast when a driver works, but it's incredible infuriating when it doesn't.

On a side note, just look what I've done, Fallout 4 is working lovely now :) Installed Shadow Boost mod from Nexus mods, and realised my screen was saying Freesync range was set to 40-60 in Crimson overlay. Somehow my screen changed to 60hz, changed it back to 144hz and feels great now and getting really solid performance.

My post from GURU3d, had to spoiler the big pig here as I dont want to get yet another ban.

wow what a difference, now using Shadow Boost

GPU usage now is actually holding steady, not jumping all over the place, and getting upwards of 100fps quite a lot, towns drop down into the 80's and 90's but wow what a difference. This was quite a foggy scene, using the True Storms mod, but just look at that lovely number. This is Ultra with low God Rays at 1440p

24208525814_22578ecf5b_h.jpg
24743234351_cbdc0d169e_c.jpg

Last edited:

I seem to have solved the issue and it was Afterburner.

I put AB on to get the fps counter in game and although it was set to not touch fans or clocks it was clearly doing something because now I'm not using it again my temps are back down to 75 degrees after a couple of hours in game.
The game doesn't appear to push temps because as I said it only reaches 75 degrees, Games I know that do push temps like Dying Light hit 77 degrees, regular games don't pass 75.

Anyway without Afterburner my fans are acting normal and ramping up as they should.

I also noticed I couldn't get Afterburner to display ram info on screen, Presumably to do with it being HBM?

We have a love hate relationship. It's insanely fast when a driver works, but it's incredible infuriating when it doesn't.

On a side note, just look what I've done, Fallout 4 is working lovely now :) Installed Shadow Boost mod from Nexus mods, and realised my screen was saying Freesync range was set to 40-60 in Crimson overlay. Somehow my screen changed to 60hz, changed it back to 144hz and feels great now and getting really solid performance.

My post from GURU3d, had to spoiler the big pig here as I dont want to get yet another ban.

How do you get both your gpus 2 show the real usage in msi afterburner
mine seems 2 be showing the same on gpu 1 and 2 ... could you show me your settings ? :rolleyes::p

Yes, I get this well with my crossfire fury Xs... really disappointing after such a long wait for this. All the new profile has done for me is introduce a ton of input lag and stutter, whilst simultaneously providing no scaling and lower frame rates than with one card.

It's no better than the optimise 1x1 method on the 15.11.1 drivers, and despite the odd flickering, AFR was almost perfect scaling. On the new drivers both these options give massive graphical glitches. Come on AMD... please release something that works :(

How do you get both your gpus 2 show the real usage in msi afterburner
mine seems 2 be showing the same on gpu 1 and 2 ... could you show me your settings ? :rolleyes::p

You need to disable unified gpu monitoring to do that, but it's not really advisable to do that. I only turned it off for the one test.

Yes, I get this well with my crossfire fury Xs... really disappointing after such a long wait for this. All the new profile has done for me is introduce a ton of input lag and stutter, whilst simultaneously providing no scaling and lower frame rates than with one card.

It's no better than the optimise 1x1 method on the 15.11.1 drivers, and despite the odd flickering, AFR was almost perfect scaling. On the new drivers both these options give massive graphical glitches. Come on AMD... please release something that works :(

See this post, mine is just perfect now, regularly sitting around 100fps with great scaling. Since I got the shadow boost mod, weirdly crossfire has been brilliant.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29141563&postcount=10412

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom