• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Soldato
If your worried about aesthetics, then of course, get another classy.

If not, then I would choose the Hybrid, as I think this combination would be better for temps,
and will be generally be quieter than the reference model.

Yes, I agree and the price difference isn't too big an issue. How do the Hybrid's clock, do you know? Would it match the Classy I have at stock (1418)?

Soldato
Well i have my 2 980TI`s under water cooling now.....

23c idle desktop 35c maxed out in Project Cars
with 2c fluctuation between the 2 cards :D

Im amazed at just how cool these cards are under water
though i did run into a few issues with setting it all up.....

been up for like 8h`s straight trying to sort this though if anyone wants to read the story lol continue reading ....

Right the motherboard i have is a gigabyte z97 force.
i got my cards setup with a EK dual bridge
thats slot 1 and slot 2 orange slots,

then i powered up and was amazed to see 22c lol
then here came the problems sli was not being detected in drivers spent a good hour trying to get sli to work the cards where being detected but the driver wasn't detecting sli mode only both cards showed up and gpuz showed up sli as disabled but still both cards where detected, then i checked the pci express lanes on my motherboard using gpuz and it showed 1 card was using pci 3.0 @16x and the other card running @pci 3.0 4x

then i did a little research and seemingly this motherboard does not support sli from orange slot 1 and 2 (NVIDIA seems sli only works @16x/16x and @8x/8x but both cant be different)

i was ****ed as hell, i had to partial drain the system again remove both cards then remove the ek bridge block, then i had to put the cards original blocks back on the waterblocks and run a single tube from on card to the other but make it longer so that i could get the cards in orange slot 1 and orange slot 3 then i filled the loop and started the system, and now its running fine, SLI works and sli is enabled running @Pci 3.0 8x on both cards.......

now im just hoping there are no leaks lol
over all im very happy but dam what a nightmare i had.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, I agree and the price difference isn't too big an issue. How do the Hybrid's clock, do you know? Would it match the Classy I have at stock (1418)?

I believe the Hybrid will cool the best but the classified will (or should) overclock better becaue of the power delivery phase setup and custom pcb.

edit - I read the whole story ViRuS2k. That sort of thing is the exact reason I have not bothered to watercool. That and the cost

I would probably end up electrocuting myself after an hour

Last edited:
Associate
I believe the Hybrid will cool the best but the classified will (or should) overclock better becaue of the power delivery phase setup and custom pcb.

edit - I read the whole story ViRuS2k. That sort of thing is the exact reason I have not bothered to watercool. That and the cost

I would probably end up electrocuting myself after an hour
Apart from the cockup with the PCIe slots I thought the results were worth it

Associate
My 980ti runs at 85 deg and I was thinking of the corsair H55 or H100i water cooler. Only problem is fitting to the case as I already have a H100i. BTW Its the EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC+ and a Corsair Air 240 case.

Will I invalidate the warranty on the card going the water cooling route?

Also would I be better getting a air cooled CPU cooler (I7-5820) and just use the H100i for the GPU

Last edited:
Soldato
My 980ti runs at 85 deg and I was thinking of the corsair H55 or H100i water cooler. Only problem is fitting to the case as I already have a H100i. BTW Its the EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC+ and a Corsair Air 240 case.

Will I invalidate the warranty on the card going the water cooling route?

I take it you are using the standard auto fan profile. Don't!

This is currently the fan curve i'm using, 980Ti classified on air (with other info)
tAH7oY9.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Thats better. Try adding load to the card and monitor temps / power etc. The built in GPUz is a bit of a weak test as it does not use full power - gaming and certain tests will soon ramp up temps
G8mncOT.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Must be a difference in coolers or something, but those fan profiles are brutal! there's no way I could sit with that blasting in my lug hole!

o0c48j.jpg

Soldato
haha. I'll give yours a shot.

Are you running stock and have you monitoring temps / clock speeds? It may throttle back when it gets to ~70c+ (the reason for my brutal fan profile)

edit - Thanks Telecaster. Yours seems to be fine at least with a loop of Heaven 4

I think my card doesnt throttle though because of the unlocked bios I am using (I have also changed power tables a bit)
bcaTego.png

Last edited:
Soldato
I notice your running the mem speed up to 500, not tried that, mine is at 300. They seem more fussy about core speed, can only get about 90 whereas the 970 I got 150

It depends what stock settings are too I guess, on the classified its 1190mhz default on the core. They do seem fussy about the core but it doesnt offer a great deal of improvement to be honest, not at 20 or 30mhz higher anyway. When I wack up the memory to +720 it yields better results than say sticking with +500 memory and +125 core (1530mhz) Its also a lot more stable.

I need to check voltage with multimeter but need a PP3 9V battery

Soldato
Well i have my 2 980TI`s under water cooling now.....

23c idle desktop 35c maxed out in Project Cars
with 2c fluctuation between the 2 cards :D

i was ****ed as hell, i had to partial drain the system again remove both cards then remove the ek bridge block, then i had to put the cards original blocks back on the waterblocks and run a single tube from on card to the other but make it longer so that i could get the cards in orange slot 1 and orange slot 3 then i filled the loop and started the system, and now its running fine, SLI works and sli is enabled running @Pci 3.0 8x on both cards.......

now im just hoping there are no leaks lol
over all im very happy but dam what a nightmare i had.

For max temps run them for a couple of hours and let them warm up fully. My cards will max at 30c on startup but after a couple of hours heavy gaming they can get to 40c ish. If that is warmed temps then very nice indeed.

That the only problem with wc cards lol. Problem have to do so many things to change pice slot or swap cards. 3rd slot on my mobo died had to swap the cards three times. Which meant taking parallel off three times. Draining and re-filling 3 times. In the end mobo was at fault. To then strip down again. To send it back. Big annoyance. I know exactly how it feels lol.

Back
Top Bottom