Asus P5W DH Deluxe - doesn't support Conroe out of box?

Jimbo said:
Is anyone getting a X6800 retail chip from overclockers with this board? maybe you can tell us if it boots ok, using the defualt bios?

If so I may even purchase one myself. :)

I have ordered this board for a friend so I can build him a new Core 2 Duo machine, will let you know about it when his CPU arrives on Friday.

Hi. I am new here but have been listening in for a while. Just waiting for my E6600 to fit in to my p5w dh deluxe based system and I have just noticed that asus have now posted bios 0701 on their global support website (can't do a direct link, sorry).

the description says:

P5W DH Deluxe BIOS 0701
Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

I could not locate any further information at the website mentioned.
I could not find any other specific info re what this bios fixes/adds.

I just hope that i can do a floppy/usb based flash if it doesn't get to a state where i can install windows on first go. The manual seems to indicate that unless you have a corrupt bios you have to access the tool using alt-f2 or via the bios. Can anyone confirm that this is correct or possible?

Last edited:
Fazari said:
Hi. I am new here but have been listening in for a while. Just waiting for my E6600 to fit in to my p5w dh deluxe based system and I have just noticed that asus have now posted bios 0701 on their global support website (can't do a direct link, sorry).

the description says:

I could not locate any further information at the website mentioned.
I could not find any other specific info re what this bios fixes/adds.

I just hope that i can do a floppy/usb based flash if it doesn't get to a state where i can install windows on first go. The manual seems to indicate that unless you have a corrupt bios you have to access the tool using alt-f2 or via the bios. Can anyone confirm that this is correct or possible?

Hello mate and welcome to ocuk forums.

Cant say if this works or not, but I had an MSI motherboard that was supposed to flash recover by holding ctrl+home or something, needeles to say it never worked when I needed it. :rolleyes:

So are you talking about a bios flash recovery or just how to flash it normally?

@ Jimbo,

I e-mailed that asus rep that gibbo mentioned in a thread in the CPU section here regarding a new bios chip to support conroe and this is the reply I got:

Hi Darren,

Thank you for choosing Asus Motherboard.

Riz, our engineer, will be able to help you with the Bios chip.

He will contact you for the bios chip delivery very shortly.

Please bear with us.

Regards,
Portia

So hopefully I should get an e-mail soon asking for an address to deliver the bios chip to :D

Last edited:
"It definitely will not work without a BIOS upgrade". (regarding Conroe)

That's the response I got to my message to overclockers.

I've cancelled my P5W DH Deluxe for now. It still seems like the best option for me though. I need a 975X because it has native IDE for my optical drives, I need 800 DDR2 which isn't supported by Intel's own 975X, and the MSI 975X Platinum seems generic.

I might re-add it to my order. I don't really want to wait longer than I have to for my new PC.

If I get a BIOS chip from Asus, is it easy to replace? Just pop the old out and pop the new one in?

Last edited:
DarkReaver13 said:
If I get a BIOS chip from Asus, is it easy to replace? Just pop the old out and pop the new one in?

Yes it is mate, take the old one out with a flathead screwdriver gently and pop the new one in. I think 3dfx (CPU forum) emailed Asus on friday, and go his new bios chip today.

DarkReaver13 said:
"It definitely will not work without a BIOS upgrade". (regarding Conroe)

That's the response I got to my message to overclockers.

I've cancelled my P5W DH Deluxe for now. It still seems like the best option for me though. I need a 975X because it has native IDE for my optical drives, I need 800 DDR2 which isn't supported by Intel's own 975X, and the MSI 975X Platinum seems generic.

I might re-add it to my order. I don't really want to wait longer than I have to for my new PC.

I got a reply saying if i sent them the chip they would reflash it for me or i could purchase a new chip for £5, which i will probably end up doing as i dont have my motherboard yet

Edit/

They are now sending a new chip free of charge, just got another e-mail :D

Last edited:
daz.wallace said:
I got a reply saying if i sent them the chip they would reflash it for me or i could purchase a new chip for £5, which i will probably end up doing as i dont have my motherboard yet

Edit/

They are now sending a new chip free of charge, just got another e-mail.
From Asus yea?

I've re-ordered the P5W DH and I'll do the same as you. Lol, I've amended my order so many times now... I hope they don't mind.

daz.wallace said:
@ Jimbo,

I e-mailed that asus rep that gibbo mentioned in a thread in the CPU section here regarding a new bios chip to support conroe and this is the reply I got:

So hopefully I should get an e-mail soon asking for an address to deliver the bios chip to :D

Daz thanks for the info mate. Looks good for the Asus board anyway. ;)

Journey said:
Got the board and chip today, the BIOS out of the box was no good for the Core 2 Duo, had to flash it with the Pentium D 930 I had laying around.

Once flashed it worked fine. :)

Lets seem some results! :D

Journey said:
Got the board and chip today, the BIOS out of the box was no good for the Core 2 Duo, had to flash it with the Pentium D 930 I had laying around.

Once flashed it worked fine. :)

Which bios did you flash it with? There seems to be a lot of different opinions about which one is the best to use!

The only one on the Asus support site 0701 I believe.

Sorry can't do bench marks till morning as I am now at home, and the system is at my work place. I did have a quick overclock and it booted in to Windows at 3.6GHz with no extra voltage, unless the Asus does that automatically?

* I forgot to mention I did not buy board from OCUK, maybe they have a different batch? I highly doubt it as the BIOS came out only 10 days ago, but you never know :)

Last edited:
daz.wallace said:
@ Jimbo,

Lol I've just emailed them asking for the bios chip!

Hopefully I'll get one for nowt too. :)

If I end up not getting the board, I prolly will though... I'll pass the bios chip on to a member of this forum who needs one, for nowt of course. :D

Back
Top Bottom