** The Official ASUS P5N-E SLI & Ultra 650i Thread **

Associate
GhostRider said:
I have this board, an E6600 and some crucial 5300 anns memory and a AC pro cooler. I've overclocked the bus speed to 333 to get 3000mhz. Any more and it won't boot. I don't want to increase the volts they are on auto and show up as 1.312 in CPU-Z at the moment which looks high compared to OC_A64

The memory is set to 3.3.3.8, default had it set 5 latency :rolleyes: Would changing it to 4.4.4.12 and increasing the frequency make it much faster?

Also I have cold boot problems, is this common?

Auto could mean any voltage really. Best to manually set it. 1.4 should be plenty for 3ghz.
As for memory, drop to 4,4,4,8 timings with 2.1v and see how far you can push then :)

Soldato
GhostRider said:
I have this board, an E6600 and some crucial 5300 anns memory and a AC pro cooler. I've overclocked the bus speed to 333 to get 3000mhz. Any more and it won't boot. I don't want to increase the volts they are on auto and show up as 1.312 in CPU-Z at the moment which looks high compared to OC_A64

The memory is set to 3.3.3.8, default had it set 5 latency :rolleyes: Would changing it to 4.4.4.12 and increasing the frequency make it much faster?

Also I have cold boot problems, is this common?

Hi,

Try these settings for an E6600;

In the Advanced Menu go to;

CPU Configuration
Set CPU Internal Thermal Control to [AUTO]
Everything else except Execute Disable Bit should be set to [DISABLED]

Chipset
Leave all the memory timings on AUTO until you have got the CPU overclock sorted out

Spread Spectrum Control
Work your way through the menus and disable everything

SLI Broadcast Aperture
Leave this at Disabled

LDT Frequency
Leave this at 5x

Onboard Devices Configuration
Turn off the JMicron SATA controller - this will fix your cold boot issues ;)

In USB Configuration
USB Legacy Support [DISABLED]

Then back up to JumperFree Configuration

AI Tuning
Set this to [Manual]

System Clocks - PCIe
Leave this at 100 for stability or upto 125 if you like your graphics as fast as possible

Voltage Control
Set the VCore voltage to 1.4
Set the VCore Offset Voltage to +100mV
Set the Memory Voltage to [2.259]
Set the NB Core Voltage to [1.563]

Reboot and re-enter the BIOS

Then go to the CPU and RAM FSB
Select unlinked
Adjust only the CPU at the moment
Start at 1200, then work upwards to 1500 in jumps of 48 FSB Reboot at each stage.

When you reach 1500 do a system stability test with Orthos. At this point you will want to overclock the RAM - come back when you have the CPU stable at 1500 and we can discuss options ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Thermaltake said:
Does anyone know whether the geil ram 6400 has any problems with the Asus P5N-E.

If so i mite change my order to the OCZ ram at the same price

It's fine, but the current stuff does seem to be fairly problematic all round. And the reported clocking performance is poor too.

Associate
Thats fixed the cold boot :D

PC won't boot at 1354 so I've dropped it to 1333. I've tried increasing the volts in increments of 0.1 up to 1.6 but its not having it, poor chip?

Soldato
GhostRider said:
Thats fixed the cold boot :D

PC won't boot at 1354 so I've dropped it to 1333. I've tried increasing the volts in increments of 0.1 up to 1.6 but its not having it, poor chip?

I don't think I missed anything off my list. I can't believe that your E6600 is carping out at 1333. If it won't do it at 1.4V, I doubt it's going to do it at all. It is a P5N-E SLI you have and not a P5N-SLI?

Soldato
You've definitely stepped the NB Voltage to 1.563? Is the Northbridge cooler very hot? You could try 1.748V on the Northbridge, but I can't run that on my system without a fan on the Northbridge cooler.

Your other option is to go into CPU configuration again and change the multiplier to 8 and then start clocking up again.

Associate
yep def a P5N-E SLI, its a retail E6600 maybe thats the problem?

I think I'll leave it as it is. I've jumped up from a 754 AMD 3000 64 and its running my Virtual machines much better so I'm chuffed. Thanks for your help, is it worth increasing my memory frequency and going 4,4,4,8?

NB isn't cooled and showing as 40C on speed fan.

Last edited:
Soldato
GhostRider said:
NB isn't cooled and showing as 40C on speed fan.

That's not the northbridge temp, that's the southbridge temperature. Try touching the heatsink. If you can put the back of your hand on it for a few seconds at time then turn up the voltage, if not, then don't.

Associate
A lovely P5N-E, 2Gb OCZ Plat Rev 2, Gainward 8800GTS and a Tuniq Tower all arrived on my doorstep today :D Annoyingly enough though, the stuff I ordered from a competitor won't be here til friday/monday! I really grudge paying carriage costs, and needed to fit everything into a budget to keep myself under control and sadly carriage costs had to be cut for that part of the order! :rolleyes: Ah well, it won't hurt me to have a little patience i'm sure ;)

Back
Top Bottom