** The Official ASUS P5N-E SLI & Ultra 650i Thread **

Soldato
The nb hs is 2cm high so anything that is higher then that before it gets wide enough to interfere is probably good.

This thread is for the 650i chipset boards, they do share the same nb as your board though apparently.

I would suggest simplfying as much as possible so just the 1 stick of ram and try all 4 positions. After that try checking equipment works in other machines, etc

On my 650i board I found 1 of the gig sticks wasnt recognised when I used the black slots instead of the yellows. Switched back and it sees both now

EvilGrin said:
Hmm, so it should be pretty easy to get a stable 3GHz plus with an ACF7 or a Titan Vanessa-L and stay at sensible temperatures (under 60)?

3ghz with ac7 is fairly easy. Im at 3.2 and Ive seen 3.4 so far with an e6400.

Im thinking of trying upto 1.6vcore and testing the top nb voltage too.
At present Im 1.56v on nb and 1.49vcore and worst droop I saw was .07

Associate
I'm wondering... i've got an old Creative (Cambridge soundworks) DTT3500 Digital 5.1 system, think it'd be worth my while plonking in a better sound card, i've got an audigy 2 value sitting around somewhere that i could dust off. Or do you think the onboard realtec is fine enough?

Edit: Also, can anyone confirm whether having a pci-x raid card installed will force both slots to run at x8?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Associate
Results from 1T testing with GSKill.
GSkill_422_1T.JPG

Testing the Crucial now. Currently memtesting @ 425 FSB 4,4,3,8 1T w/ 2.25v,

Soldato
ArchAnGeL said:
Could someone summarise successful and unsuccesful ram combinations for this board. Perhaps these could be pinned to the first page.

ta

I think that's going to be difficult as by my counting there are probably only 4 or 5 owners actively posting in here at the moment.

I do know that Crucial Anniversary PC5300, Patriot Signature Line PC5300, OcUK PC6400 Value RAM and Corsair Value Select PC4200 and PC5300 all boot up fine from default settings on this board.

I think OC_A64 has OCZ RAM that also works fine.

Soldato
ArchAnGeL said:
thanks.

Can we think of any reason why geil c4 will not?

Only that it seems to be problematic generally (they haven't programmed the SPD tables properly at all) and also seems to be the most sensitive of all the RAM to having the right voltages. It's also very common to hear of problems with DS3's and that GeIL RAM and all the Gigabyte boards I've seen have been a bit weak on the initial voltage (only supplying 1.75V on a 1.8V line). Those were all DS4's though.

Soldato
silversurfer said:
Just noticed that ntune supports 650i, released on 16th Jan

http://www.nvidia.com/object/ntune_5.05.22.00.html

I might check it out later, hopefully it gives more info then asus probe manages.

Also noticed that raising pci-e to 125mhz has raised my pci bus to 41mhz. Will that cause problems to a raid card, my xfi seems ok

While I agree that this looks like a good idea on paper, I'm not sure what real performance benefit you are expecting, at the risk of potential system instability.

Associate
ArchAnGeL said:
thanks.

Can we think of any reason why geil c4 will not?

My geil 6400 c4 boots and runs fine with default settings. I havnt tried to run it faster than its stated speed though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The northbridge is kept cool by a passive heatsink

what would be the best way to put a fan onto this and can i buy it from OCUK?

That's not half bad though, when you see the MCP chipset doesn't even have a heatsink at all! I can assure you though, that even during heavy overclocking this does not seem to get -that- hot. I still have my fingers to prove it. However, a heatsink would have been a nice addition. If you plan to do a lot of overclocking, pointing an 80mm fan towards it may be the smart thing to do. Or purchase a $5 chipset sink

what is the best way to cool this? can i buy it from ocuk?

my order will be getting shipped soon so please could i get quick answers thanks for your help

Soldato
Psycho Sonny said:
The northbridge is kept cool by a passive heatsink

what would be the best way to put a fan onto this and can i buy it from OCUK?

That's not half bad though, when you see the MCP chipset doesn't even have a heatsink at all! I can assure you though, that even during heavy overclocking this does not seem to get -that- hot. I still have my fingers to prove it. However, a heatsink would have been a nice addition. If you plan to do a lot of overclocking, pointing an 80mm fan towards it may be the smart thing to do. Or purchase a $5 chipset sink

what is the best way to cool this? can i buy it from ocuk?

my order will be getting shipped soon so please could i get quick answers thanks for your help

You know you've double posted this in the E4300 Overclocking thread as well? I've answered over there.

Caporegime
WJA96 said:
You know you've double posted this in the E4300 Overclocking thread as well? I've answered over there.
i needed an answer quick and my order has been posted so you werent quick enough but luckily my vista order comes next monday/tuesday so i have ordered my heatsink and fan with it so i have to wait a week now but my mobo should be here tomoroow

Associate
1T vs 2T results

1T_test_432.JPG

2T_test_432.JPG

Still more to come from the board. Above's just a quick comparo to show the performance boost from 1T. As always ignore the overall time, it's the difference that's important.

Back
Top Bottom