I try to be nice

Soldato
I try to be nice to people. I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. I try not to judge others, or I at least keep those judgements to myself (in real life, that is).

I've had enough of being defensive and pessimistic all the time. But it's so difficult to keep this up when you're constantly confronted by, for want of a better word, scum.

I've just been to the shops. I've barely walked two hundred yards down the road when I'm stopped by a woman who asks me if I know the area well. She continues to speak to me and, because my guard tends to be down these days, it takes me a few seconds to realise she's a junkie. The well trodden "I need bus money.....I've just come out of hospital....I need to visit my sick mother..." story is wheeled out and I'm giving her some change just to get rid of her.

On the way home I'm thinking about how she touched my hand and tried to kiss my cheek and how much I hate this waste of space. All I want to do is get home and scrub myself clean.

Half an hour passes and I no longer hate her. The more rational part of my brain wakes up and dismisses all those thoughts of rounding up junkies and beating them till they're clean, one way or another.

What I hate most is the way they make me want to be less nice to people. The way they make me want to put my guard up and keep everyone at a distance, just in case.

How do you deal with this?

How do you protect yourself from the scum without walling yourself in?

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Eagerly awaiting "cool story, bro", "tl;dr" and "worst.......thread ever".

Soldato
I'd just say no. The good thing about this country is that there's various channels of support available to her, so she doesn't need to be asking you.

I've become less of a pushover in the last few years, and in a few situations it's led me to question whether I'm actually being a dick.

Some guy came up to me in Victoria station and needed money for a bus ticket, about £6 or so. He was asking me for the whole lot :eek: He wasn't a junkie or anything, he seemed a normal person. I couldn't decide whether or not he was legit or not, so I gave him 30p or so, he said thanks and left. hmmm

Last edited:
Permabanned
So what did she do that was so bad that it makes you want to beat her up and become a recluse?

Personally I would have simply shrugged it off and continued on with my day. It is of little consequence.

Associate
I have never experienced this. I would probably believe the lady and try and help her out, lol.

I just feel sorry for people like that, just think about how horrible her life might be!

Associate
I just remind myself that i will likely NEVER see these people again in my life and its not worth a second thought and it withers away to insignificance.

Associate
Tbh you sound like an uptight ponce. Either give her money and be on your way or just ignore her/say no. Simples. It's easy to choose whether you ignore all people on your travels or be more open with passers by.

Personaly I tend to blank eveyone if I'm on my own as usually during these times I have a specific purpose to be out and about. If I'm with mates I'll be more open with eveyone.

Soldato
How do you deal with this?

How do you protect yourself from the scum without walling yourself in?

AnchormanPitchfork.gif

Soldato
OP
Tbh you sound like an uptight ponce.
Why?

So what did she do that was so bad that it makes you want to beat her up and become a recluse?
I don't want to beat her up. There will be goons to dish out the justice! :p

Basically she took up my time, duped me into handing over money, touched me, tried to kiss me (her lip brushed my cheek :() and showed me her stab wound, oozing with pus.

It's just the shock of it all, I suppose. I was caught completely off guard and feel somewhat violated for it. I know I've only myself to blame.

Think you've pulled ;)
Including the drunk man who offered to fellate me I've had a pretty good week!

Last edited:
Soldato
Basically she took up my time, duped me into handing over money, touched me, tried to kiss me (her lip brushed my cheek :() and showed me her stab wound, oozing with puss.

It's just the shock of it all, I suppose. I was caught completely off guard and feel somewhat violated for it. I know I've only myself to blame.

I know what you mean, sometimes, it just seems so hard just to say no. You get put on the spot and have a brain freeze, and it all goes wrong. Next time, just take a 3 second breather and think the situation through, and you'll compose yourself and play the situation properly :)

Back
Top Bottom