• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

100% usage cpu

Associate
I have a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz. Not sure if that is good or not. I play GTA V. although I struggle to reach 30fps, it is unplayable. my CPU is also at 100% usage. I have a good GPU, Geforce RTX 3060, just wondering what I can do to improve performance and reduce CPU usage? Thanks.

Permabanned
I have a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz. Not sure if that is good or not. I play GTA V. although I struggle to reach 30fps, it is unplayable. my CPU is also at 100% usage. I have a good GPU, Geforce RTX 3060, just wondering what I can do to improve performance and reduce CPU usage? Thanks.

Hallo,

Because your CPU has only 4 cores, and in this age and times the games may need more than this, you have this experience.

What you can do right now, is to decide on a budget to spend and upgrade your CPU, RAM and mainboard.

Associate
OP
yeah, i understand but are i7's any good? i;ll keep the ryzen in mind i just think it is going to cost a lot of money to replace the ram, processor and mainboard.

Permabanned
Your i7 is 6 year-old already and counting.

Back in 2017 we had a small CPU performance revolution when the first generation Ryzen 1000 were launched.

Since then, your old CPU becomes worse and worse every year.

Soldato
Back in 2017 we had a small CPU performance revolution when the first generation Ryzen 1000 were launched.
That's mostly false if talking about game performance only. Even the 6700k was better than first gen Ryzen chips for games, if you trust Hardware Unboxed look up their newer video where they compare a lot of CPUs. Or even Digital Foundry.

Soldato
Any modern Intel or AMD 6 or 8 core CPU would fix bottlenecking.

You should still be getting more than 30 fps with a 6700k though, what resolution are you gaming at?

Soldato
i play in 1920x1080, i have a i7 6700k and a geforce rtx 3060, i need help since it's unplayable, my game also stutters a lot
Here's a vid of GTA5 with a 6700k + 3070 which is more powerful than a 3060 so should bottleneck worse yet it seems smooth enough.

Also the CPU is only hitting around 60% despite the GPU being bottlenecked so if yours is hitting 100% then maybe something else is running in the background eating your CPU resources while your gaming.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Here's a vid of GTA5 with a 6700k + 3070 which is more powerful than a 3060 so should bottleneck worse yet it seems smooth enough.

This is a year-old video, the gameplay depends on the operating system and its processes, and any other applications running in the background.

Hence, I have been saying forever - for God's sake - more cores is always better!

Back
Top Bottom