• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here comes a question about Afterburner;

5uF4vGS.png

Now this got me confused. Which one is allocated, which one is actually used? I gather "dedicated" is actually used, but is it or is it not?

Lld0p08.png

Task manager reports Crysis Remastered uses 7.7 GB of dedicated memory. Afterburner per process dedicated memory says 5.2 GB. Afterburner also tells me a total of 7.6 of dedicated vram usage. So I gather 7.8 gb total me usage, and 0.2 gb of allocation.

Yet, there's inconsistency between task manager's dedicated Crysis stat and ab's dedicated Crysis stat? Is the 2.5 GB difference actual allocation?

Can someone clarify what is actually used and how much is allocated?

If the memory management is the same as normal system ram then allocated is effectively used as windows cannot over commit memory. It only matter if the OS is able to over allocate memory.

Seems this is a tricky subject with few absolute concrete answers.
Still, I'm willing to take advice from those in more know than myself. My desktop (6700K, GTX 1070, 1080 UW) built 5 years ago, is ailing and needs more or less full upgrading (or replacing) but these current GPU prices... omfg!
So for all that I'm having to look at prebuilts.

So what do you folks reckon? I intend to play 1440 UW at my desk and ideally, if I can work out how to stream or send (any advice here on how/best way etc would be awesome too btw) to my 4K gaming TV in the room literally directly below (like I said, don't know much of recent things) Funny thing, I actually ordered TV, desk and chair for the upgrade right before prices went nuts... so I kinda gotta do this or what was the point?

Anyway, 3070, 3080, 6800, 6800XT... all of which can fit the above afaik. Folks who have 'em, folks who know better... what's best for the above margin? I'll mention here I don't mind dropping settings from ultra to high to get to/above 60 fps if need be (anything more is a welcome bonus) However, I'm hoping to keep those margins and not have to buy again at least until Nvidia 50xx/AMD 8xxx come around, as it took me long enough to save up this much. Also, RT and DLSS aren't so much a be all, end all for me I think. Some games/genres I favour most, now and going forward, simply won't or are unlikely to use one or the other, and I think neither will be close to ubiquitous/indispensable for at least another gen.
I'll admit I have an idea that folks will say the AMD options serve me better overall, and I do find that 10Gb/8Gb on 3080/3070 awfully underwhelming after some previous cards, that were aimed at or only actually really capable of lower resolutions, having as much or more VRAM (nm that my 1070 can and will use well over 6.5Gb rn on up to 5 year old games at 1080p) but importantly for the AMD choice how are their drivers nowadays? It was that they were so... troublesome that turned me off previous AMD options tbh (despite the Vega's and 5xxx's being pretty good aside from that point)

One final thing... aside from the GPU's mentioned above, CPU: 5600X, 5800X or 10850K, my first choices going by specs and being newer... which do best for which do you think? (I hear the 11700K is not worth it over the 10700K either and also, are the 9900K/9700KF I've had suggested good options anymore?)

In advance of any advice or thoughts given, thank you so much for reading all of that and for your response. Have a good 'un!

Seems this is a tricky subject with few absolute concrete answers.
Still, I'm willing to take advice from those in more know than myself. My desktop (6700K, GTX 1070, 1080 UW) built 5 years ago, is ailing and needs more or less full upgrading (or replacing) but these current GPU prices... omfg!
So for all that I'm having to look at prebuilts.

So what do you folks reckon? I intend to play 1440 UW at my desk and ideally, if I can work out how to stream or send (any advice here on how/best way etc would be awesome too btw) to my 4K gaming TV in the room literally directly below (like I said, don't know much of recent things) Funny thing, I actually ordered TV, desk and chair for the upgrade right before prices went nuts... so I kinda gotta do this or what was the point?

Anyway, 3070, 3080, 6800, 6800XT... all of which can fit the above afaik. Folks who have 'em, folks who know better... what's best for the above margin? I'll mention here I don't mind dropping settings from ultra to high to get to/above 60 fps if need be (anything more is a welcome bonus) However, I'm hoping to keep those margins and not have to buy again at least until Nvidia 50xx/AMD 8xxx come around, as it took me long enough to save up this much. Also, RT and DLSS aren't so much a be all, end all for me I think. Some games/genres I favour most, now and going forward, simply won't or are unlikely to use one or the other, and I think neither will be close to ubiquitous/indispensable for at least another gen.
I'll admit I have an idea that folks will say the AMD options serve me better overall, and I do find that 10Gb/8Gb on 3080/3070 awfully underwhelming after some previous cards, that were aimed at or only actually really capable of lower resolutions, having as much or more VRAM (nm that my 1070 can and will use well over 6.5Gb rn on up to 5 year old games at 1080p) but importantly for the AMD choice how are their drivers nowadays? It was that they were so... troublesome that turned me off previous AMD options tbh (despite the Vega's and 5xxx's being pretty good aside from that point)

One final thing... aside from the GPU's mentioned above, CPU: 5600X, 5800X or 10850K, my first choices going by specs and being newer... which do best for which do you think? (I hear the 11700K is not worth it over the 10700K either and also, are the 9900K/9700KF I've had suggested good options anymore?)

In advance of any advice or thoughts given, thank you so much for reading all of that and for your response. Have a good 'un!
These are more general questions about buying an entire new system, so please make your own thread in the new builds and upgrades section. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/community/new-to-pc-gaming-upgrade-advice.172/

A friend pointed out to me today that the mobile 3080 has 16GB of vram. :/

That's what it said in the description and in the spec sheet.
Pretty sure we went through this last time, that is not an actual 3080. That is just marketing man. It has less cuda cores and cannot get anyway near an actual 3080 due to restriction on tdp. It probably cannot even beat a 3070 in a pc.

Can’t believe you are still bothered by the 10gb thing :p

Pretty sure we went through this last time, that is not an actual 3080. That is just marketing man. It has less cuda cores and cannot get anyway near an actual 3080 due to restriction on tdp. It probably cannot even beat a 3070 in a pc.

Can’t believe you are still bothered by the 10gb thing :p

Yeah the 3080 mobile spec is closer to a 3070 than 3080 desktop, the reason they offer 8 or 16gb VRAM is because it only has a 256 bus and uses GDDR6.

Yeah the 3080 mobile spec is closer to a 3070 than 3080 desktop, the reason they offer 8 or 16gb VRAM is because it only has a 256 bus and uses GDDR6.
Yeah, I mean I thought it was obvious as it has been said multiple times that due to the bus size of the desktop 3080 they could not go 16gb. So if one understands that, then it is easy to deduce that the bus on the laptop 3080 is 256 and thus not really a 3080. It is just marketing and it clearly works :p

I think for 1080p, 10GB is perfectly fine for a while still. If you're going 1440p and use large scale, detailed load-ins with high upscaling (super sampling) then it'll be a bit of a blocker in the next couple of years. 4k and higher, 10GB should be minimum for any next-few-year purchase, but most people with 4k buy g-cards more often than that as they like burning their money :P

Yeah, I mean I thought it was obvious as it has been said multiple times that due to the bus size of the desktop 3080 they could not go 16gb. So if one understands that, then it is easy to deduce that the bus on the laptop 3080 is 256 and thus not really a 3080. It is just marketing and it clearly works :p

If 10gb or 20gb work then why not 15gb?

Like we used to have 1.5gb cards a long time back.

They couldn't due to the lack of 1.5GB GDDR6x memory modules existing. :p
3080 mobile can’t even match a 2080 desktop in timespy. https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-m...RTX-3080-What-the-hell-happened.519743.0.html

I
have no idea why Nvidia market it as a 30 series when it clearly has mid range 20’ series performance
The 3080 mobile is basically the same as the 2080 Super mobile but consumes even more power https://www.notebookcheck.net/GeFor...TX-2080-Mobile_10474_10231_9541.247598.0.html

Ampere mobile are pretty poor.

Same reason why they cant go 15gb :rolleyes:

No, they can go in multiples based on the bus. 12 Gb doesnt work because it isnt a multiple on a 320bit bus.

Usually 1x, 1.5x, and 2x multiples are always possible.
Exactly. Had they had access to 1.5GB or 2GB memory modules in the numbers required for launch, they could have gone 15GB or 20GB. But obviously they did not.

Exactly. Had they had access to 1.5GB or 2GB memory modules in the numbers required for launch, they could have gone 15GB or 20GB. But obviously they did not.

You can put some on the back of the card as well, though I don't recall if the 3080 has ram on the back.

ASUS-ROG-STRIX-GeForce-RTX-3080-Derbauer-1.jpg

Also it looks like theres 2 empty ram chip slots on the PCB as well.

Reading a bit more the 2 extra slots would ony work when the bus is increased to 384 bit, so thats just a placeholder design for the 3080 ti.

No, they can go in multiples based on the bus. 12 Gb doesnt work because it isnt a multiple on a 320bit bus.

Usually 1x, 1.5x, and 2x multiples are always possible.

VRAM is always 1gb they dont make 1.5gb or 2gb VRAM (for Nvidia GPU's) its always multiples of 1gb. Reason is due to space. Only 3 RAM slots available above and 1 RAM slot available below the chip plus the chips would be a lot bigger the PCB would have to be bigger, etc etc. Hence 1gb
is made for space and ergonomics. You would not see a 15gb card plus the Marketing men dont like odd numbers...... ;)

Thats why HBM was touted as the next best thing because you can stack memory for the same size as a 1gb Chip. So you could have 2gb in the same space as 1gb. The HBM2 max was touted as 8gb in a 1gb size stack. As we all know its not taken off quite like they wanted for one reason or another. HBM3 was meant to be 64gb in a 1gb size stack, imagine that for the "not enough VRAM groupees" !

Last edited:
from my limited understanding (and jay sort of mentions it in the video) afterburner measures the loading of stuff in to memory and then sits there rather than showing a live memory usage, and theres something about how games/drivers pre allocates how much memory it needs and if its at certain limits the software blocks stuff rather than the game running then stuttering, i think doom eternal did this not sure if there's ways around it though now. again this is from my limited understanding, think gamers nexus or digital foundry said it originally a month or so ago.

The latest versions can actually approximate vRAM that is in use, it was added into the beta a while back and you had to fiddle around to enable it, but it's there in the latest betas right out of the box and you can just enable it on the OSD. I actually reached out to a lot of the mainstream reviewers back when this feature was added in and asked if they were going to change their stance on measuring vRAM requirements. Especially those reviewers who were taking 24GB 3090s and claiming that some games required 23GB of vRAM (which is obviously stupid and wrong). But it was mostly radio silence. Interestingly enough it was the lesser known hardware enthusiasts who were doing benchmarking of their own cards on places like youtube who were ahead of the curve and adopted a stance of measuring both.

it looks like this thread has more less gone full circle, in all of this arguing has anyone actually come up with a game that requires more vRAM than the 3080 has (10Gb) which doesn't already have a GPU bottleneck on the frame rate? My guess would be no, but just interested on peoples findings. I finally got around to playing RDR2, and in 4k on my 3080, maxed out it's using something like 6Gb.

I think for 1080p, 10GB is perfectly fine for a while still. If you're going 1440p and use large scale, detailed load-ins with high upscaling (super sampling) then it'll be a bit of a blocker in the next couple of years. 4k and higher, 10GB should be minimum for any next-few-year purchase, but most people with 4k buy g-cards more often than that as they like burning their money :p

Exactly, the RTX3080 is a card designed for 1080p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom